The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:32 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:49 pm 
Lone Star

Hello all,
I have been using the AW1600 for a couple years now doing location recordings of jazz and classical music with great mics (DPA, Gefell, AKG, etc...). I have gotten some fine results utilizing all the knowledge I have gathered from here and other forums, but in comparing my recordings from the AW1600 to other recordings (not A/B but, close enough) I have found that they are missing presence, punch, volume, etc...

My question to all of you is this - have any of you moved up to the HD24XR or RADAR or DAW that have given you the oomph your recordings needed to sound truly professional?

Thanks,
patrick

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 6:59 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
I don't know if you're doing any audio processing on a PC after mixing (compression, limiting, etc.), but that could add something. I use Sound Forge for that, although there are many other choices.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:06 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Not sure what you've been listening to but there are some great "pro" sounding recordings made on a G with SM-57's. It all depends on the talant , and knowledge of recording that make the true difference IMO.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:32 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
I'm with MSG on this one. I have had the G for 3 years and find that I am able to get a professional sound with it (albeit at lower volume). When I listen to my earlier recordings on the same machine, I can hear a huge difference and this only comes with experience in recording, spot-on tuning and timing, and arranging the sound palette to suit the song, followed by decent mixing.

I feel I have not exhausted it's capabilities yet. I have looked at the competition and I will probably move up to the AW2400 next year so I can improve my skills with the additional facilities it offers, particularly Automix, and hopefully have less crashes with a newer operating system. I also want to keep the G as a legacy machine while everything still works (and it has worked hard for me).

The Alesis HD24 is good value for the money as a hardware solution but you will spend a fortune on peripherals (not to mention going back to the spaghetti jungle I was able to ditch) and have lots of A/D, D/A conversions if your outboards are analogue.

I have looked at a ProTools/Mac setup but it is about $AUD12k for a small pro setup (and still has latency issues) compared with $3k for the 2400 and the 2400 is an all-in-one solution for my needs since I record only one input at a time.

Suggest you have a listen to, and maybe contribute to, the compilation CD2008 on this forum to hear what others are doing with their machines. This may help you decide if you need to upgrade at this time. If you do upgrade, I would be pleased to hear of your experiences, maybe in the Equipment Review section, as the forum is here so we can grow by sharing.

Best wishes
GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:38 pm 
Sodbuster

And i 2nd that 2nd

I also get great results on the 1600, & it's all down to the EQ / Processing, don't take the pre sets as ball park settings. for eg Fem Vox, Male Vox Eq. none of those setting resemble anything once i finish editingthose parameters same goes for the Dynamics too.
All artists are unique in their individuality, weather vocally or musically,you will never get 1 eq to fit another depends on studio conditions, weather mic'ed or Di ed.
Like it says on the Tin PROFESSIONAL AUDIO WORKSTATION
this machine is not for the faint hearted

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 3:55 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Hi Patrick. I'm kind of with these other guys here in that I'd want to make sure that it was indeed the 1600 that was limiting your recordings. Sounds like you're using some great mics - are you using great preamps as well, or those in the 1600? Are you sure your mic placement and the spaces you are recording in compare favorably to those used on the recordings you are referencing against? What is your mastering process like? Was the the music you are referencing against professionally mastered?

I'm hardly an expert, but if I were you I'd explore every step of the process from start to finish in both technique and equipment (and compare that to whatever you can learn about how your reference recordings were done) before I conclude the 1600 is the weak link. Maybe it is, but it would be a shame to spend the bucks moving to a different system only to have the same issues with your final product.

Good luck in your quest for a great recording. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 6:17 pm 
Lone Star

Thank you to all who have replied. You have some great input and wisdom and have caused me to try to dig deeper into the AW1600 to try to pull more out of it. Please keep in mind that we are talking about "location recording" only, so multiple takes on rock vocal power ballads is not in the realm of my post.
Someone touched on the "low output" of the AW1600. Maybe that is the crux of my beef with the unit. I have tried pumping the final mix output levels up with compressing the stereo track but then I lose some of the dynamics. My final mix volumes are in keeping with the 0 to -4db on the meters to avoid clipping but they still sound rather wimpy to PRO live recordings - maybe they are sent to mastering houses in post???
Oh well the journey continues.
Many thanks and Merry Christmas.
Patrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 8:47 pm 
Lone Star

Hello Boys,
I think I have finally figured out why my AW1600 recordings sound worse than my 2 track.

TRACKING LEVELS!!! I have been tracking at hottest levels I could get before distortion - this is a big no-no in digital land. I have a NewYears gig coming up and will track with peaks between -6db and -10db ad see if that fixes it.
(fingers crossed)

Thanks for all your help....

For further reading:
http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index. ... 038/10860/

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:17 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Hope you found the answer. That would save you some $$$$. :)

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:06 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
guitarman wrote:
I feel I have not exhausted it's capabilities yet.

I probably never will.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating