The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:41 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings and welcome. First to posting your pix. Head on over to a free photo uploading service like photobucket or a similar one. Then upload and save the pix there. Right click the image on that site and choose copy image location. Then come back here hit reply to this thread, click the Img button just above the text box. Paste it into there and hit preview to be sure it's working. If so, click save and we'll be able to see it.

My next recommendation is to call Yamaha tech support. They should know this machine better than anyone. By describing what you see along with sending them the photo directly from your computer, they can help. Just because something looks pretty on the outside, doesn't mean it's pretty on the inside. That goes for pretty much everything in this world.

Good luck. I believe you'll get it sorted soon.
Ron

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:08 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW1600
Thank you guys. Great suggestion Byron. Definitely sounds like it's worth a try.
I'll give that a go this evening using the usb method explained and see if I can get anywhere.
And RZ, for the very kind explanation about how to link a picture and the suggestion of calling Yamaha's own tech support.
I will get back later with pictures and to let you know if I got anywhere with the OS upgrade.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:30 pm 
Lone Star

ImageDSCN7624 by david marsden, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7614 by david marsden, on Flickr

ImageDSCN7615 by david marsden, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 9:56 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Too bad about that. The OS can be found on the Docs page of this forum.

http://www.dijonstock.com/index.php?page=the-docs-page

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 6:10 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
This might be traced back to faulty display contacts. I have not read the entire thread but when you open the machine, the display is probably connected to the motherboard by a flat cable connector. Repositioning (and cleaning) the contacts might do the trick.

BTW when you post pics that are larger than the screen it's displayed on (in pixels) you can consider using the resizeimg tag. It expects a percentage as parameter and when set to 100, the pic will be as wide as the screen.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:00 pm 
Lone Star

Many thanks Robbie (and Byron again for the kind link).

I contacted Yamaha tech support a few days ago linking to these pictures although haven’t got a response as of yet. I’m hoping that for a Yamaha engineer, the appearance of the screen might ring a bell so to speak. That it could be something like a connection problem as you say. It would be wonderful if that was the case even if I should probably prepare for the worst.

I will await their reply just to be safe in case they suggest trying to make software updates first, but if instead the only suggestion they have is that I send it to a service center, I will then immediately open it up with care myself before sending it anywhere.

I know that scart leads/inputs tend to be quite flaky things on televisions. Just a strong tap of the finger on an inserted scart socket on my current tv can cause half the picture to drop out. I wonder if it’s similar with an lcd screen. If so, a knock in transit could probably have caused this. Still, it doesn’t seem like anybody has got a screen problem like this before on an AW1600. Aside from this thread I really can’t find any info online about anybody having a screen problem with AW1600.

Thanks also for the tip about the picture posting. I didn’t intentionally make the third one bigger and was not sure why that happened.
Cheers :)
Dave