The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: major problem
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:55 am 
Lone Star

I got a pair of powered speakers for mixing
and hooked them up to the l and r moniitor out. I doubt these were standard monitors. They are the type you might use in a bingo hall, or a teacher mught use them at a lecture, you can plug a mic in.

description here: http://cgi.ebay.com:80/ws/eBayISAPI.dll ... B:AAQ:US:1

anyway I was happy to hear I could pan L and r because with a Y cord
out of the soundcard on my computer I only got mono. I just bought the 1600 a five or so weeks ago. Still learning. I don't know what mode I was in, but I may have paired some tracks while the machine was running, shouldnt have done that.
After that I only got sound out of 1 channel. L. I got out of the song not saving settings, booted back up, plugged in head phones, made sure 1-8 were un paired. And listened, only a left channel was heard.
I fot out of that song went into 24 bit mode new song and listened to drum pads, sound and visual on the meter only on the L, tracks 1-8 and unpaired, etc

On the stereo meter only I only saw a signal only on the left channel on 8 tracks, panned everything right. Nothing, and no visual on the right side
on the meter. Did I blow the right channel with these speakers somehow? or, did I press something wrong. I fear the worst. 750 for the 1600 at ebay. I still have the 16G with no problem for a year.
But this has me anxious. Help would be appreciated. Suggestions. Just a musician, not an engineer.
The toylanders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:24 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
The Manual wrote:

A maximum of eight 24-bit song tracks
can be recorded or played simultaneously (→ p. 143).

Is there a chance this might be a problem?

Sounds like a panning issue to me. First try reversing the speaker connections if the suspected one works and the other one dies it's something in the recorder. If not maybe the volume is down on one of the onboard speaker amps ? One time I had a panning problem like that and found by accident I had the master fader panned off to one side somehow. You say you have the 16gG still , why not try them with it.

I doubt the recorder could hurt the speakers if they were OK to begin with.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 3:59 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
It is possible to pan the master stereo outputs without realizing it. Press the select key above the stereo master fader and then turn the pan knob. Watch the screen to see what it says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:12 pm 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
The fact you have only one side of the stereo meters jumping says it is not external. Too, given that fact, it would not be the circuit driving the monitor outs. JM's got this one I think.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 4:36 am 
Lone Star

JM wrote:
It is possible to pan the master stereo outputs without realizing it. Press the select key above the stereo master fader and then turn the pan knob. Watch the screen to see what it says.

I think it was something I did while I was in pan mode, pressed something wrong. I intialized the drive, and everything came back on line. Of course this was the hard way, cause I zapped all the pad files...oh well, better than burning out a channel. I liked some of the drum patterns too. sad. But wasn't a failure of the device failure just an ignorance thing.
thetoylanders

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 6:11 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Everybody learns on this deal. Glad it works OK now. Too bad we didn't know why. I've been down that runway a few times myself.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:49 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
There should've been a CD with the unit that contains all the factory samples. If so, follow the directions in the song management chapter of the manual for restoring songs and sample libraries.

Fo future reference, you can set everything back to default settings without formatting the drive. Press the scene button and recall scene 01 - initial data. Beware - it will bring the master fader all the way down without you knowing it. Pull the master fader all the way down and back up to re-engage it. Otherwise you'll wonder why your machine doesn't make sound anymore.