The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:31 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 3:07 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Bar b q
Machine type: AW1600
Hi folks..
Recently purchased a couple of tube pre-amps and am working on the signal path to the AW1600. A few questions for those gurus with the golden answers.
#1...I would assume I should have the AW pre pots rolled off to a bare minimum, and adjust my levels on the external pre.

#2...When using 48v condenser mics, i would assume that the phantom switch should be off on the AW strips, and powered up on the external pres.
I am getting good results this way, but would like to hear any advice, OR corrections if I am off the path.
Thanks in advance

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:17 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
yes to both questions. I can't give a definitive opinion on what the consequences may be of having phantom on both the AW and the external, but phantom is part of an input's circuitry and should come from the input recieving the signal.

On the pre question, the AW pres can't be bypassed or patched around. Depending n the external you are using, you may want to structure the gain to utilize both internal and external. If the external work/sounds best at a level that does not push hard enough, then you may want to add a bit of gain via the AW. remember that it is not tape and you are not trying to maximize signal to 0 dB. -6 dB is suggested as a target for peaks when recording in 16 bit. -12dB is floated as a target when recording in 24 bit (as the AW is able to do, with half the track count).

In either case, leaving lot's of headroom helps in control of a mix of tracks further along in production. The hazard of recording with peaks well below these levels may well be that the level of the track may need to be lifted to sit with definition in the mix and if so, the lift will also raise the noise floor existing within the track. You can get away with a bit of this, but if all tracks are "weak" then the mix may well suffer, becoming "muddy".

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 4:53 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Bar b q
Machine type: AW1600
Thank you for the reply.
As I said I have been getting good results with my feeds as they are, and yes my targets have been -6 in 16 bit and -10 to -12 in 24. I will experiment in gain staging between the two pres as you mentioned. I was concerned about possible damage to the AW with too high an input signal, and thought i would ask. Thanks again for the great advise.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 5:13 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. When I use condensor mic's and an external preamp (which is a must), I adjust the levels where I get the best level and clean sound. That may mean putting the yammie pre at high noon and my preamp levels turned till I get the -6 or so I'm looking to achieve. Sometimes, I roll off even more and boost my preamp depending on the end result I'm after. Just experiment till you're happy.

rz-land