The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 2:25 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: kebab
Machine type: AW16G
Hey there..

I'm planning to use my dear old AW16G in rehearsals both for click track for the drummer and some pre-recorded synth tracks. So I'll send one of them via the Monitor Outs while sending the other via the Stereo/Aux to the PA.
The problem is I couldn't imagine how to do that. I checked the manuals of AW and search in the net, but couldn't find the way to send the click track + prerecorded synth parts to drummer's headphones while sending the prerecorded synth parts without the click track to speakers.

Can someone please tell me how can I set the AW to do that?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 5:18 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The click does not go out the Aux/stereo out. It does go out the monitor outs though. so if yo want the drummer to hear both, then they will have to go out the Monitor outs for the drummer's signal.

You have to make a selection to establish weather the Aux/Stereo Out will be one or the other, in your case the stereo out will be chosen. Not at a machine right now, but if memory serve me the screen you want will be found amongst the cluster of button to the right of the screen. You will recognize it when you see it as you push these buttons to toggle through the various screen options. If not, message back and I will go to the machine, or direct you to a manual page.

Once selection is made, the signal from the Stereo Outs will go to your mains. I am foggy on how the volume may or may not be controlled. Find your setting and it may be clear. If not, message again and I will sort it with you.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:27 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks a lot for the quick answer..

But it's still foggy for me: You mean the click which doesn't go to the Aux/Stereo is the AW's own click? Because I'm planning to use a pre-recorded click for a softer hearing. With this option I can use both Outs right? Or still it's not necessary?

I think the necessary screen page is under the View button which you mentioned. I found the related sections in the manual, but still couldn't understand how to separate those signals onto different channels of a PA's mixer.

After 30 years in music making, I still feel dumb in technical issues.. :? Thank you very much for your help..

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:42 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Monitor outs is the way to go. I purchased a POWERPLAY HA4700. You can feed various levels to the different musicians.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:24 am 
Marker Magician

Mavian wrote:
Thanks a lot for the quick answer..

But it's still foggy for me: You mean the click which doesn't go to the Aux/Stereo is the AW's own click? Because I'm planning to use a pre-recorded click for a softer hearing. With this option I can use both Outs right? Or still it's not necessary?

I think the necessary screen page is under the View button which you mentioned. I found the related sections in the manual, but still couldn't understand how to separate those signals onto different channels of a PA's mixer.

After 30 years in music making, I still feel dumb in technical issues.. :? Thank you very much for your help..

Yes, I was referring to the Aw's click. I thought that is what you meant.

If you are using a "click" of your own design, it is essentially one of the several tracks that will run on your AW as you play to them?? If so, I would send the Monitor outs to the Front of the House, so as to be able to utilize the faders to set levels for the audience. The other outs would then be use as AUX Outs, not as Stereo Outs. Aux 1 could be set up for the drummer, with lots of the click track, in his ear or on a floor monitor. the other, Aux 2, could be set to deliver a signal for a stage monitor mix for the guitarists and vocalists, probably without the click as they will be guided by the drummers steady beat!! Individual channel levels are controlled on the screen for the Aux busses, so they are not quick to adjust on the fly. All these signals require amplification, of course. If everyone is wearing headphones, a piece of gear, such as Ron recommended would be great to work with. If you want "out-loud" stage monitors, then you need an amp and speakers, or a powered speaker, for each send.

Don't be afraid to ask questions though.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2016 12:19 am 
Lone Star

Actually I won't use the AW as the main mixer. Normally we're using one and I'll use the AW only for click track and some programmed synth parts. I confused about internal signal routings of AW, but with your detailed explanation I saw the whole picture at once. Thanks a lot!

And thanks to RZ.. Headphone amps are fine with me, but I'm not sure that our chatterer guitarists can handle how to put them up.. :)