The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:29 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:49 am 
Lone Star

Machine type: AW1600
I know that this point was covered in topic about backing up songs to pc via usb, but I am a bit confused about the ways to do this and how the songs are ordered once on the computer, so please bear with me.
I am at the stage of needing to move 99 songs from the AW1600 to an iMac.
I will need to work on individual tracks of each song once on the computer. A lot of these tracks don't start at the beginning of the song because I only recorded sections of the track for choruses etc. Is this going to cause a problem when I move them? Will I need to do a bounce recording for each of these tracks from the very start of the song before moving them, as if I leave them as they are I fear that it will mess up the timings or positioning of the choruses?
Which method is best for being able to continue working on each track and to keep everything in place?
Should I do it by exporting .wav files via the transport folder or by transferring .wav files to and from a computer?
If I go down the transfer route will it take the version selected to play on the Aw1600 or will it just have everything that has been recorded in chronologically ordered wav files that will make it difficult to identify as a specific track or virtual track?
Will exporting give me the control to move the tracks and versions I have chosen for the song?
If so, is there a limit to the amount of songs or data size I can put in the export folder at one time, or is it best to move one song at a time?
I know this is also a daft question but will either of these methods leave the original stuff on the Aw1600?
I do have back up discs of all the songs, but I am just getting myself wound up about doing this as I have only worked using the AW1600 on its own. I can't quite figure these things out from the manual and it will hopefully save me from wasting a lot of time if someone could point me in the right direction. Any advice is welcome, simple instructions even better!
Thanks in advance for your help.
Hev

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 5:54 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Wow, I think you set a record for the most number of questions in one post!! :lol:

If you want to edit individual tracks of a song, then you must use the Transport folder. Use EDIT-EXPORT screen and select Tr: 1-16 to get all tracks in a single sub-folder of the Transport folder. Start time = 0 and End time is the end of the longest track (which would be the mixed song).

If you've done some sort of short recording in the middle of the song, the machine will automatically add silence at the start to make the WAV file align properly with the rest of the song.

The tracks exported will be the currently selected VT of the song.

Using the Transport folder has no effect on the song stored in the AW1600. It will still be there.

There is some size limit to the Transport folder, but not sure what it is. Just export 2 or 3 songs, transfer to your PC, then erase from Transport folder.

When using USB just DON'T erase any files under the Song1 or Song2 folders that are in AWS sub-folders! :)

Test all of the above on one song first and then you should be an expert. :)

Good luck,

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2014 11:03 pm 
Lone Star

Thanks for the speedy and thorough response.
I will try it out on one song to get the hang of it before I set off on the other 98 songs. It looks like I have a bit work ahead of me.
I know I asked a lot of questions but I thought I would try to cover everything in one go, but just one last question. Out of interest why would you use the transfer option, what does it do?
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 1:23 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Re the "transfer option", I assume you're referring to accessing the actual song folder (ending in .AWS) via USB.

This would normally just be used to transfer the entire AWS folder to your computer for backup. The naming of the WAV files in this folder is strictly by order of recording. You have no idea what track is involved. Plus, if you do separate recording operations on the same track (punch-in, etc.), you get a new WAV file. Exporting a song (or track) to the Transport folder, puts everything back together in a single WAV with the track identified.

Just pulling your chain on the number of questions. That's what this forum is for. :) Welcome to it!!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 12:22 pm 
Lone Star

Cheers, I know you were just joking about the questions.
I've always found this site a useful place for info and have found a lot of topics helpful.
I'm never worried about asking anything here as no questions is treated as "too dumb" and I know the answers are going to be good.
Thanks again for the help.
Hev