The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:48 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:59 pm 
Greenhorn

Hi all

Sorry - this is probably a question that has been covered in other places several times, but I'm in a bit of a panic and need to back stuff up from my AW1600 to my laptop urgently. My question is:

Do I have to move songs on the AW1600 to the 'transport folder' BEFORE I can copy across to my laptop via the USB?

I have connected up the two, and on my laptop I can see the 2 AW1600 drives, and within them I can see the Song 1 and Song 2 Folders, and within each of them I can see each individual song/project, and within them see all the audio tracks. Can I not just copy all the folders straight across to my laptop, or do I HAVE to put everything in the Transport Folder first and copy across from there.

Sorry if this is a dumb question?

Cheers

Alex

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:43 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: Pizza
Machine type: AW2400
I have a 2400, so although I believe the answer would be the same for the 1600, I can't say that from personal experience. That said, with the 2400, you do not have to place songs in the Transport folder first ... you can simply go directly from either of the "1" or "2" song folders on the AWs internal drive to your computer's hard drive.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone with a 1600 should be by before too long to confirm or deny.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 6:38 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
As said, just copy the Song1 and Song2 folders from the 2 AW1600 drives. All your songs are in individual folders under these "master" folders.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:22 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I tried to answer shortly after you posted, but got bumped off and could not reconnect then ???

So what is pasted below was written before these other guys responded. It outlines some cautions of which to be aware.

I own both machines and the process is the same on both.

That said, the process you want to follow alex would back up the whole project, but would not give access to the individual tracks, as the filing system in the project folders is based on sequence of recording, gives no time/date stamps, saves all mis-takes etc. so, what you want to do is a backup procedure.

If you want to access specific tracks in a computer editor you must utilize the transport folder to get the needed file to the editor.

Further, if you are going the backup route, DON't trust the machines to do it correctly until you have first tested the procedure. There may be issues. Rare, but they do occur. If your project files are important then i would first make a copy of the project on the 1600, rename it of course, and save that. Then delete it on the 1600 and then restore it to the 1600. If this works well, then the copy you moved to the computer is able to be considered as your backup.

Now, if you delete the original project on the 1600 you have a copy on the computer, but don't forget that this copy is now the master and should be backed up on a third drive, for safety's sake, if the project is important enough to you.

there is a PC based error called Write Delay Failure that may crop up. It appears after what seems to be a successful transfer. I did not have this problem for many years and then it started. I have researched the error, find it is not uncommon and have not been able to solve it for the PC tower i use as an editor. So, now i use a different laptop as a go between for archiving, and this works for me.

I don't mean to scare you off, but make sure your gear does what it is supposed to do, before you delete anything important.

Talk back if you need any assistance.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:42 pm 
Greenhorn

Hi all - many thanks for such speedy replies. And thanks for the words of caution Byron. I'll so some experimenting before I commit to any real deleting. Much appreciated all.Cheers