The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 4:24 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 12:23 am 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
excuse if this is an obvious general recording error, the aw's are the only tools ive used:

I am bouncing two tracks off a stereo track onto a mono track. they are dead centre panned and all settings are initialised.

the problem is the new track seems to have a lot less volume on the meters. In fact i'd say that the procedure has split the volume of the two tracks in half, which seems counter to what bouncing is used for. i just want the two tracks excactly the same but on one track, so that i can use the track for a stereo source.

i am only using this to blend in some corrections to a bass part, so is there anything i am doing wrong??

as a side note: Also, i'm recording in 16 bit at the moment.
I'd like to continue in 24 bit if possible, with processing and the next sources i want to record-not sure if i'll hear a difference by the time its back down to cd but its there and will avoid clipping!

what is the best way to do this? how can i just start a new 24bit song and import the 16bit tracks?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:19 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Bouncing is sometimes tricky. i avoid it. Level is an issue, as the meters are showing you the tracks going out, not the track (s) receiving the info ( or some such situation). It is explained rather cryptically in the manual. read the manual again, as the info is there, I think.

You may be better off to mix to a stereo track, using effects and balance the levels and use effects, if you wish that way, but you will still have two tracks, Then move this pair to a pair of tracks for further mixing, using Edit commands. You cant use effects during a bounce. as i recall.

to get your 16 bit to 24 bit, you will have to move the track out to an editor platform that will allow the conversion, the reimport into a 24 bit song that you create. Each time a song is set up you have a chance to establish the bit rate for that song. 16 bit track will not show up in the eligable to import list when a 24 bit song is the current song. Vice versa is true also.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:32 am 
Dude

Machine type: AW1600
i must avoid bouncing then! i'm not sure its just metering, as i'm pretty sure that whatever boost i put in the original signal always comes out with 0db where 10db should be. i think, as someone suggested its a pan law being applied despite tracks being centred..
i also just applied some effects to a bounce with some success, even punching them in halfway, luckily on another track that needed attenuation anyway.

the stereo track seems like a good idea. i only want what i excactly hear when both tracks are set at 0, but on one track!

might give 24bit a miss for this song as my pc is down. Is there any loss converting formats? i would have to additionally take it back down to 16 again after.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 10, 2012 3:41 am 
Marker Magician

16 bit works well, The higher bit rates do allow headroom and avoid degradation of signal when heavily processing. for what i do, i have come to the conclusion that 16 bit is adequate, and allows higher track counts, and therefor less "bouncing".

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:26 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Welcome to the forum, Theodor. Enjoy your stay.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:19 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
This old post describes what just happened to me, but when doing the Byron Bounce, i.e. doing a mixdown to the ST and then copying to a stereo pair via the Edit section.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:24 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Some of the things that could happen is partial noise canceling by adding two (almost) identical signals together. Bouncing from stereo to mono might work better if the signal is not dead center. It's also possible that the original track had dynamics set like compression and limiter. DId you also copy dynamics settings and effects settings ?

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:30 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Hi Dirk,

I did a mixdown to the ST with panning, EQ changes, and effects. Playback of the ST shows everything intact and at the same level. I saved the song, then used the Edit screen to copy the ST to 15-16. Playback of tracks 15/16 appears to have the panning and effects intact, but the level is drastically reduced.

As a side note, with the 15-16 fader all the way down I can still hear (softly, but distinctly) the drum track. I repeated the edit/copy to V2 of 15-16 and got the same result. Then I threw myself on the mercy of the forum.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:21 pm 

I checked the manual but came up empty. There is a difference in bouncing to the stereo track vs to the other tracks in that in the latter case you go through the L/R bus instead of the Stereo Bus. Does the level of the target track fader get set during bounce? What happens if you move the fader after the bounce is done? Maybe I need to test this myself. So far i have always bounced to external equipment thus circumventing the problem. Hence i never noticed ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:33 pm 

Checked some more. It seems that on the 2400 the Fader position of the target track influences the recording volume during bounce. Not sure if the G does the same. That seems to be all I can find ...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:58 pm 
Marker Magician

You are describing a bounce Dirk, but the suggestion of many users is to rather do a mixdown. That is what Urbando is talking about, i believe. Mix down the required tracks to the stereo track and then move that stereo 2 track to a pair of tracks.. Bouncing, as described in the manual, is sometime tricky if you don't pay attention to volume levels. EFF can't be used in send-return fashion (but can be inserted, I think). You must use the bounce procedure if you are using the pitch fix though.

If you want a mono track, do the mixdown without any panning and then move it (the stereo 2 track) to a pair of tracks, but delete one, or advance the virtual of one of the pair, if you want mono. then you can use the track you deleted or changed the virtual upon for something else.

The issue here is a loss of volume. that could have something to do with how hot you made your stereo track "bounce". Or it could have to do with left over settings. I would check the view screen of the tracks to which the bounce was moved. There may be attenuation occurring at the top of the chain. Similarly there could be some volume added on the stereo track ( once again at the head of the chain) making it sound artificially louder than it actually is. you can add or cut the volume of stereo track in this fashion on the G and 1600. Only volume cuts are available on the tracks. ( the 2400 allows both add and cut on all tracks). See this all on the respective Ch. VIEW screens.