The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:41 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: aw1600 or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:53 pm 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: bread
Machine type: AW1600
Hey guys,
Found this forum by accident but so glad i did at the perfect time. I am about to buy a multitrack and have narrowed it down to 3. Aw1600 ($350 ebay) , tascam 2488 neo and Tascam dp-03. I read everything i could about all 3 but i cannot decide. My guy tells me the aw1600 but have read its so hard to use that having great sound quality is useless if you cant use it? The neo is overkill with 24 tracks but has great reviews and the dp03 is very simple with good sound. Any insigt is appreciated, i will have more questions for sure,thanks

Post subject: Re: aw1600 or not?
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Some people have a little difficulty in getting up to speed on the AW1600. However, once you do, I think you'll find it's a great machine. I started with an AW16G and moved to the AW1600 mainly because of the USB connection.

As far as getting up to speed, this forum will definitely shorten the process. Plus there is a Recording 101 document available here that will help (http://www.dijonstock.com/uploads/docs/AW16G_REC101.PDF). It's for the AW16G, but the AW1600 operates nearly the same. I don't know if the other machines have a good forum or not, but the AW1600 definitely does and it's worth a lot. Many people on this forum have used their AWs for years and are "experts".

Sounds like a good price. Go for the AW1600. :)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:27 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
You will find many people here that will volunteer to answer your questions. Give it some time and the AW1600 will be a killer for it's price. Welcome to the forum !

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:03 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
I have the impression that the information that the AW1600 is difficult to use, came from people that give up after two tries. It's absolutely not hard, but there's a work flow philosophy you have to grasp. Once you get that (and you will either with or without the help of this forum), operating the machine is logical and straightforward. Of course there will be details that might boggle your mind once or twice but that's what we're here for. I never met anyone that actually used an AW16G or AW1600 and did not like it, operationwise and sound quality wise.

You're your own man, make up your mind and feel welcome on this forum regardless of the choice you made. I for one would like to hear results from different machines and read about the recording experiences and technical details. So, whatever you do, feel free to keep us posted.

I hope you'll go for the 1600, though. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:11 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Welcome. I came from a tape background. My 1st digital unit was the Tascam 788. I never could get the hang of that unit. Don't know why, just couldn't. I sold it and upgraded to the AW16G and it fit me perfect. I was able to grasp the recording process with ease, learned to work the effects with little issue, and was burning cd's in no time.

Should you decide on the 1600, spending little time with the unit and the recording 101, and asking question here, you'll be up and running in no time. If you have any questions with regards to quality, jump on over to the Share your music and you'll hear some fine stuff.

Which ever way you go, good luck and make music!

rz-land