The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 2:06 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem with my screen
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:15 am 
Lone Star

The thing boots up fine, and all of my stuff is there, but the screen looks like this -

It's gone back to normal twice, once on its own and then once again when I picked it up and set it back down...and now it's all messed up again. Is there a simple answer for this other than "Send it in for repairs?"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:29 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Yes - repair it yourself.

On the page http://docs.dijonstock.com/ you will find a section "dissection of the G". You will probably have to take it apart, because I think the flat cable connector that goes to the display unit has bad contacts. Removing it and putting it back will probably solve it, but for that you have to take it apart.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:41 am 
Lone Star

Oh, nice. Thanks for the help. I honestly wasn't expecting a reply until I woke up in the morning.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:47 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

You're welcome. I was there anyway. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:22 am 
Lone Star

Hmm, I appreciate the help, but it appears that since this is an AW1600 and not a AW16G that there is something other than the screws keeping me from getting inside of the thing. Any clues?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:45 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Make pictures! :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:54 am 
Lone Star

I removed all of the screws except the ones that hold the harddrive to the bottom plate, and the two that correspond with the ones on the AW16G that aren't supposed to be removed.
And again, here I removed all of the ones except the ones that correspond with the AW16G
I have a sneaking suspicion that the problem is the small studs on the faceplate in this picture. They aren't screws and I have no idea how to remove them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:58 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Of course I can't see what you're seeing, but you have to get to the connector of the display unit. If you can't reach it, but you can reach the cable, move it a bit but make sure you don't remove the connector. What I'm seeing on the display is a typical bad connector contact.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:02 pm 
Lone Star

Hold on, I'll highlight what I'm talking about and edit this post with the image.

The things circled in red appear to be tiny bolts that I cant get off, and I'm almost positive they are what is getting in my way.

Last edited by warkboy on Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:03 pm 
Harry the Spaceman

Favourite food: small children
I think you are right about those studs. From the owners manual they look like hex screws, should be able to loosen them.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:06 pm 
Lone Star

ArtKau wrote:
I think you are right about those studs. From the owners manual they look like hex screws, should be able to loosen them.

Ah ha, thanks. There just happens to be a hex wrench set at my place of work. I'll borrow that tomorrow and continue with my repair. Thanks for all the help guys.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:15 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

OK! Please keep us posted. Now get some sleep.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2006 12:46 pm 
Ultra Botkiller

This forum is pretty awesome... and addicting. Welcome to the club!

Cin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:02 am 
Lone Star

Okay, so I got the thing opened up and checked all the connections. They're all good and sturdy. So I guess I just need a new screen. Luckily now that I know what to do I won't have to send it off and get someone else to repair it, I'll just have to order a new screen...hopefully yamaha won't suck the life from my wallet in doing so.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 7:18 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Yamaha parts are not cheap but they are not rediculous either. They do offer reasonably fast service. Like you I'd bet on the display. My 4416 display has to have the brightness adjusted almost every time I boot it now. But then it has a bazillion hours on it.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 8:55 am 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
I wish that I would have seen this earlier. I would have advised differently if it is still under warranty which, being a AW1600, is highly likely. By opening it yourself, under most circumstances, the warranty is voided.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2018 8:34 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW1600
Hi guys, new member here. Thanks for having me. I decided to jump on this thread since the title and subject relates exactly to a problem I am having with an AW1600.
Mine is a supposed brand new old stock unit and is in cosmetically stunning condition (I would say clearly never used..at least the outside parts anyway!) yet when powered on the screen is showing only a small section of the information that I should be seeing. Basically there is a square box at the top right corner where I can see into (that part of) the screen perfectly whereas the rest of the screen is entirely blank.

Now obviously my only option other than sending it to Yamaha for paid repair is to open the machine (and sounds like I am going to need along with a standard small screwdriver, a “hex” tool to do this. Thanks for the heads up!) but I just wondered if anybody out there could say from the appearance of this screen I am describing (sorry, I took a pic but wasn't sure how to post it) whether it perhaps sounds like the sort of thing one might encounter when a connection was lose/not connecting properly etc?
Seems looking online that reports of screen issues with the AW1600 are very rare? and also the fact my machine is supposedly new and never used makes me think it's perhaps more likely that the screen just has a loose connection unless maybe it was faulty screen out of the factory.

Sorry, again wanted to include a picture but wasn't sure how.
I’ll report back in a few days when I’ve got the hex tool and opened it but I suppose in the meantime I’m just hoping somebody may be able to boost my hopes that I might not need to do more than just that- open it up and tighten a connection ; )

And if I do need a new screen, is it simple enough to fit? Will Yamaha sell me one? Anybody know what sort of cost they are likely to charge for it?

Many thanks
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 4:17 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
welcome aboard. I'm no help with the internal issues. That is an old thread you latched on to. You are right that not two many hardware issues get reported here because these machines seem to be remarkably stable and durable. At least my experience. Keep us posted. Have you used the little, physical dial, located on the screen,to lighten and darken the screen? Perhaps that might jog some crystals ??? Long shot.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 7:42 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: Cheese
Machine type: AW1600
Many thanks Byron.

Yes, I tried the tiny contrast adjuster dial and it seems to work fine as it should though no other positive effects on the screen problem unfortunately. I suppose it’s just that from what I can see on the screen it somewhat resembles some of the general (non AW1600) images you will see on google when you do a search for “LCD screen loose connection”. Basically only part of a screen showing and perhaps a couple of pitch black square or rectangular shapes here or there elsewhere.

Then there is the fact that the machine looks so clearly brand new and never touched. None of the screws have any evidence of being tampered with (even if it’s popssible to remove screws without leaving evidence, or replacing them with new ones). Also the packaging contained the Yamaha tools cd not even opened (Unbroken Yamaha security sticker still sealing the cd envelope).

I’ll have to open it soon and yes, I will be sure to post back about the outcome.
If I can’t get it working, I’ll have to buy a new screen (presuming Yamaha will sell me one) and just hope that the screen problem is not arrising because of any other faulty part.
If that was the case, I would have send the machine off to Yamaha for repair which is something I would like to avoid if possible because of the remarkably mint cosmetic condition and the thought that it could come back in lesser cosmetic condition after an engineer had worked on it, but then there is no sense me leaving this thing in the cupboard or sitting in my studio as an ornament.

Thanks again,
Dave

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:18 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Have you tried to reformat the drive? And install the most recent Operating system (1.13 I think). Hard to do without a screen perhaps, but (another longshot) perhaps the poor display is software related. ???? You could be guided through the button sequence of a reformat by another user, over the phone or with back and forth messages. ???

Have you priced a new screen?