The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Aug 16, 2018 1:36 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:36 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Spaghetti
Hi, I'm finding that with my AW1600, sometimes I'll move a track and then see it still in the virtual track where I moved it from in addition to the track number I moved it to. I then have to delete it two more additional times to get it to be fully erased from the virtual track number I moved it from. I'm also finding that when I optimize I don't recover as much hard drive space as I did with my AW16G. It seems this unit has trouble deleting information, maybe? Anybody know anything about this? Thanks in advance for the help!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:59 am 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
Quote:
sometimes I'll move a track and then see it still in the virtual track where I moved it from

When you say "see" are you talking about a line on the screen or seeing the waveform still there or actually hearing it?

If it's something left on the screen, that could be a software bug. If the audio is still there, then things like this are frequently (sorry) a "cockpit error" (i.e., operator error). Maybe you didn't really do MOVE, but COPY? Look at the Undo list and see.

I know plenty of times I've done a MOVE instead of a COPY and wondered where the heck the stuff went. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:11 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Spaghetti
Thanks for the quick reply. No, I did select "move". The WAV file is still on the original track until I delete it. Then I have to delete it TWO MORE times. This seems like a glitch in the unit. Anybody else experience this?

As I said above, I also notice that when I optimize, I don't get nearly enough space back, it seems. My AW16G would show a considerable amount more space freed up after optimization than this AW1600. There seems to be a glitch here that has something to do with the amount of data that actually gets deleted.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:56 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
The optimize of the G sucks. Deleting part of a project, optimizing does not nearly give you enough space back. Sometimes, when hundreds of megabytes should be freed, it only gives a couple of mb's back. Or nothing at all.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:48 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Done plenty of move - copy procedures in the past. Never have seen what you describe. My initial thought was as HogTime said, but you say no ... so it is a mystery ,, let us know when you sort it out.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:14 pm 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Quote:
Sometimes, when hundreds of megabytes should be freed, it only gives a couple of mb's back. Or nothing at all.

sure you don't have a tiny bit at the end of your tracks still intact, which has the effect of leaving the file size the same?

my G seems to optimise properly, always has, even before the OS update (which i'm still failing to notice any difference since installing) - when i'm deleting tracks i'll often wind the time display way past the end of my song to be certain of getting the lot

just last week i copied an existing 500mb song to use as a template: i deleted all tracks, optimised, and the final file size was 9.5mb, i.e. the same size as a new empty song.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 4:26 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

No, I'm sure I'm doing things right. I even had contact with Yamaha about it, who were sure I did something wrong. I wrote a detailed procedure of what I did and they said: yes, you're doing that correctly and the file size reading will go back from 600 MB to 40 MB. Then, a few hours later I got another mail: "uh... you're right... it has to do with the way the files are organised".

What I did basically was make a 4 track recording of about half an hour. That was 592 MB. I cut everything away except for about 40 seconds or a minute or so. Saved, optimized. It *should* have gone back from 592 to somewhere around 30 MB or so. Instead I saw the number decrease from 592 to... 589.

Whatever part I tried to take away, same result. On later projects: deleting would not free up memory (or at least not nearly enough).

So, if you see that your optimize always works like it should, I'd really like to know what version you're running.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:27 pm 

From what I can tell, if only a part of a single recording gets deleted, the file size stays the same. This is because the internal "play list" is the only thing that gets affected by the deletion, not the WAV file. This list now tells the program to skip that part of the WAV file that was deleted, instead of playing it all.

I might try to verify this sometime with the AW1600, since the WAV files are visible with a PC.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:35 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi,

not sure because I am working outhouse and no AW is with me .... :cry:

but if I remeber correct, using the merge function before will help!

Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:04 pm 

Andreas,

"Outhouse" in the U.S. refers to a small, standalone rest room shack. Sometimes referred to as a "one holer". Sometimes very stinky. I hope you aren't having to program in one of those. :)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:28 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi Ralph,

thank you for explanation. My mistake bad english results in using the wrong words.
My office here is not so bad and the ****-hotel is comfortable, too sad that I only be there for sleeping.

BTW: Düsseldorf is famous because of an excellent special kind of beer, so I hope for sweet dreams :mrgreen:

Greetings
Andreas

PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:29 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

How 'bout a chunk of Düsseldorfentaler?