The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:56 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:21 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
Guys,

I just tried to do this for the first time. My Windows PC recognized the 1600 and File Manager displayed Song 1 and Song 2 folders. The mastered tune I had "exported" as a .wav file showed up in Song 2 folder. There were two sub-folders - Audio and Render, and a file bearing the song's title with an .AWS extension. I opened the Audio folder and saw 270 separate audio files, numbered 1 to 270. Nothing about STV whatever or anything that made sense. So I copied file 270 to my desktop and it then played. But it was already missing tracks so I stopped the playback; it obviously wasn't my mastered audio file. The file bearing the song's title, when copied, wouldn't open. It did not have the same audio symbol as all of those 270 files in the Audio folder; don't know what kind of file it is.

What are all those dang audio files? Are they recording or editing operations? If so then I've been a pretty busy guy in the studio! And where's my master file? In short, the two pieces of equipment establish a connection and I can select things on my PC in File Manager, but I have no idea where my mastered tune might be. I just scrolled through all of the 1600 posts here but didn't see anything that specifically mentioned .wav files, USB connections, etc. Any ideas?

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:44 pm 
Imperator

Ah hah! Did a Search for something like USB .wav export and found a reply to someone by Byron:

To put a file in the transport folder go to the EDIT menu
Specify which track and the section of that track you want to appear in the Transport folder - it will be copied there, not moved there.
Rather than state a specific track you can – turn the jog wheel until it shows "1 - 16",
Hit execute and a folder will be created - name it using the jog wheel - then off to the transport folder
Hook up the computer via USB (UTILITY menu)
Open My Computer (PC) or Macs comparable (Finder?)
Open second of AW's drives – see the Transport Folder? - Open it
Drag folder you named earlier to desktop

I went back to File Manager (which had opened several windows, one on top of another so they were obscured) and sure enough, there was a folder marked Transport. My ST V7 file was there. Copied it to my desktop and it played just fine. So everything works according to plan. The post which Byron had responded to involved someone wishing to export a .wav file to CD (like the aw16g). I think the user wanted discrete tracks for further computer editing. I have never done this; instead using the onboard Yamaha tools to do all of my mixing, f/x, and mastering, so I just need to export my Stereo Track (thank Heaven!).

So I have copied the export steps into a Word file and printed it out for my notebook.

Randy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2023 9:50 pm 
Imperator

One more question. Does one use the PC's File Manager function to delete unneeded files from the Transport folder? There is a folder that I see that apparently contains a dozen of the previous owner's tunes. For that matter, there are some of my other songs showing up as AWS files. Do I only need to clean up the Transport folder, or everything?

For backing up work files containing all tracks, etc. (something I have always done to CD with the aw16g) does the Backup function send them to the Transport folder also?

Thanks, Randy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2023 4:06 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
The transport is for moving specified tracks (or segments/groups thereof) in and out of the AW.

The Song 1 and Song2 folders contain your projects(songs). Export to Transpor will move specified tracks out of a song (project) folder and into the transport. In the process you can name the track with a recognizable name. In the song folder they are (mysteriously) numbered by the machine, so you have great difficulty finding the one you want. You discovered that. All those numbered files are all the takes and retakes, punch in/out segments, mixdowns etc. like a haystack made up entirely from needles. Easy to find a needle, but which one ???? So - use the Export > transport folder to specify what you want to move out while you are working in a song (project), because finding what you want in the Song folder is next to impossible as there are no logical names or date/time stamps.

If you do all your post production on the AW, then the transport folder will be used primarily for moving specified Stereo Tracks (mixdowns) out so they can then be made into mp3 files and mailed or archived as wav as "finished" mixes. If you want to mix or edit on another platform though, the transport folder can be used to get individual tracks too, for import into that other platform

As for archiving complete projects on the 1600, you can use the partitions that appear when connected via USB as you would any folder on your PC. Move or copy an .AWS folder from song 1 or 2 to your PC Hardrive or to a peripheral attached to that HD and it will sit there as an archive. You can then delete the song (project) from your AW to free up HD space there. When you want to work on it again, copy that .AWS folder back into Song1 or 2 folder (no matter which it came from originally) and it should reappear in the Song list of the AW. Just remember that when you delete a project, that you have backed up to a PC, from the AW then it is no longer "backed up" as there is only one copy in existence, now on the PC. So back up the backups for important stuff!!

The AW16G process of creating backup discs does not exist on the 1600. All backup need be done via USB to PC. Archiving of a complete project does not involve the transport folder at all.

Never change the name of any .AWS folder while it resides on your PC in any way though, as the AW will not recognize it when trying to remount. It is tempting to amend file names for future recognition, but this will create problems. I know from experience.

(It is ok to rename individual files that came to your PC via the transport folder though as they are specified copies and have therefore become external to the Project(Song)

But do clean up (delete items) in the transport folder every now and again. that folder has a size limit (2GB??). If it gets filled past its capacity the machine begins to act strangely. (Again, I know from personal experience). I have had trouble with some long multi-track sessions of concerts because of this. I never lost anything, but it was arduous getting my stuff. So watch out if the transport gets cluttered with many, many small files or a few really long files. Not to worry if you keep it reasonably tidy though.

Hope this helps,

PostPosted: Sun May 14, 2023 10:06 pm 
Imperator

Thanks, Byron; good intel as always. I have copied your post into a Word file for easy reference.

You mention cleaning up the Transport folder every now and then. Is there a utility on the 1600 for doing this or do you do it via PC/laptop as one might with an external drive?

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2023 3:22 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
As you suggested.