The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:01 am 
Advancing newbie

I am not sure if anybody here in the US knows the James Last Orchestra, however, he had the trumpets play his very own tune. Does anybody know how I can achive that tune on the Motif ES?

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 12:28 am 
Sodbuster

i would say just get a good trumpet sound?

not sure how to answer this..

do you want to sequence the trumpet parts or replicate an actual trumpet?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 4:44 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Ahhhhh right down my alley. Step into my parlor.

None of the presets in the third bank suit you? There's some great trumpet patches in the brass section also. I'm not sure which method you use to select patches. One thing Yamaha is very guilty of (along with most other synth makers) is putting too much reverb in the patches. They do this to sell patches and thus syntheizers. Go in there and turn the reverb off in the voice > edit menu. Turning the effects button off will kill it if it is an insert effect. Now you can adjust the attack and release of the horns to make them sound more realistic. A touch of mod wheel for vibrato helps the realism also. You can always add effects later. My favorite ES factory horn patches are Pre3-E09 , Pre3-E15 , Pre-F06 , Pre-F13 (a really cool velocity horn fall patch) and also Pre-G08 not very realistic horn patch but killer real Mannheim Steamroller 5th's patch!

The really hot setup for horns is the add on Virtual Acoustic PLG150VL board in one of your 3 expansion slots. Now get a BC3A breath controller and your horn possibilities are endless. Hold a chord or play an arppagio as you blow into the controller. After 10 hours or so you outa be able to honk , squeel and play a sax pretty darn good. Trupets are real easy to do with the VL board. You can even invent new kinds of horns (flute/oboe , called a floboe :lol:) with the editor then transfer it to the ES via smartmedia , USB , external HD or a Jump Drive. No money for the expansion board? The good news is the BC1 will work on any of the patches. Just go to Edit > Common and tell the ES you have a breath controller , assign it , save and you can blow any patch you like from now on. There's even a dedicated plug for the BC1 in the back of yer ES.

I saw Yamaha's Tony Escueta (traveling rep and ES VL Board Guru) play this setup live and 2 horn players got up , shaking their heads saying "That's wrong , that' way too wrong ! "

Hope that gets yer horn blowing off the ground.

Geno

http://www.motifator.com/es/index_es.php

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2007 7:38 pm 
Advancing newbie

The trumpets and the horns play this thing where they are "pulled" up to the right key, like starting a 1/4 key below and then pulling it up to the right key. Maybe Mrskygod is right and I should invest in a PLG board and the breath controller.
As you I am not too happy with the current brass voices. They are somewhat to much not so brassy.

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 2:14 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Leo,

I only have a cheapish synth (Roland RS-50) and have justed started investigating the use of brass sounds. I don't have a breath controller but I have found the following things help

1. Keep it monophonic ie play only one note at a time for each pass
2. Use the pitch bend wheel to slur up and down to notes, particularly at the start and end of phrases
3. Use the pitch bend wheel to reach up or down to the next (half) note instead of playing it on the keyboard
4. Use the mod wheel for vibrato on held notes
5. Add octaves (up) and harmony thirds at a volume low enough so they are not heard discretely under the main line
6. Eq it to brighter and thinner if it is not solo
7. Use stabs instead of continuous passages
8. Use the old copy/detune/offset technique and pan hard left/right

I also record any continuous passages a phrase at a time to get the expression right then bounce them together.

I practised by trying to recreate horn solos from CD. You can hear me attempt these tips on the Compilation Holiday CD - Jingle Bell Rock.

Hope this helps
GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 6:07 am 
Advancing newbie

Thanks guitarman, just where can I listen to your recording? I appologize for replying so late, but my comoany decided to send me on trips that took longer than anticipated.

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:20 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
Leo,

it is on this site under Projects/Compilation CD/Holiday CD. If you look at Robbie's reponses, you will see one with "Ladies and Gentlemen, The 2006 Holiday CD". My track is "Jingle Bells Rock". If you want to see more of the G's capabilities in other areas, make sure you also listen to Robinsong's "St Nick".

My brass work is a work in progress, but I have done three tracks now and I think I'm heading in the right direction.

Hope this helps
GM

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 11:35 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Oops... I still have to upload that one. I'll do it when I get the chance and then put a message here.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 1:54 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Quote:
Oops... I still have to upload that one

No Cheese for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 09, 2007 2:47 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Now wow-wow-wow....

OK I give in. I'll upload them this weekend... IF... there will be no interruption in cheese access.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating