The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:19 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Dulcimer????....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:36 am 
Loves Pamela's aw16G spot

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW16G
how would I go about miking this folk beast .........................hi guys miss you dudes ......been trapped in dealing with life ...lol

If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror".............Francois Rabelais

Post subject: Re: Dulcimer????....
PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:07 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
What kind of dulcimer is it? There are the lap type that you strum and the multi string hammered dulcimer.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:03 pm 

sorry bout leaving that detail out ...........its the old mountain lap dulcimer

If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror".............Francois Rabelais

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:32 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If it were a hammer dulcimer, I would have suggested a stereo pair about 3 feet above, as a starting point. for the lap however you could try that approach too, but my instinct tells me to come in a little closer. Depending on how you want the sound in the mix, perhaps a single mic would do. I would more than likely try two mics as well. I'd start with one small diaphram condenser set fairly close (8" - 12") from the bridge, perhaps pointed at 45 degrees from the strumming hand. A super cardiod with a tight "pencil" pattern might be good here?? ( I don' own a mic like that though, so that is just a random thought). the other mic i would place above the mid point of the stings (where lies the twelfth fret on a guitar). Instinct would have me use a Large diaphram condenser. this I would guess would become the "main source" in the mix, and given more volume/ presence. The bridge mic could be utilized in a number of ways. I'd try panning options as i mixed. Also I might try reverb on the bridge mic to find a comfortable spot towards the "back" of the mix, without sacrificing the articulation captured by the mid mic. If this did not sit as i wanted I'd try the same approach with the verb, but exchanging the signals and making the bridge mic the primary mic, volume and verb- wise. When i use a verb to achieve placement in the mix, I sometimes will High pass Filter the verb send and then place the stereo return of the verb to the opposite side in relation to the pan placement of the mics ( if you have placed then to one side or the other ) If your filter on the verb send is set fairly high ( 1800 htz or higher??), the harmonics and "bright" stuff in the signal will "sneak" across to the other side of the mix. ..... All just guesses as you won't know what will work until you hear it.

Regards,

Byron

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:26 am 

thank you Lord Byron!