The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:03 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: Beef
Machine type: AW16G
I've been using a Reel to Reel tape player for many years and have many tracts of our band on tape. I tried to use the monitor output from the reel to reel as an input to the AW16G using track 3 & 4. It didn't pick up any of the signal. Is there a way to do this?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:21 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Hi and welcome to the forum.

You should be able to record the output of the tape recorder on the G. If it doesn't pick up any of the signal, the signal chain is broken somewhere. You have to find out where that is. You could connect the output to a different device that reads the signal, for instance a hifi set. Or you could give a signal from a different device to the G. One of those two should go wrong as the error is somewhere in the chain.

Assuming the output of the tape recorder is OK: did you assign an input to a track? Aren't there any scenes active (press the scene button, recall initial data and push and pull all faders to resolve this). Do you see anything on the meters of the G (press the view button, repeatedly if necessary to get to the meter menu and press any input selection button to view the input signals).

There is a problem somewhere, but it should be possible to do it that way.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:22 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Hi and welcome. Yes you should be able. The stereo outs can go into any two inputs. Press two inputs on the g and say yes when it asks you to pair them. Then hit the record button on the bottom left and connect the input to the track. Now hit monitor button and press the input button again which reconnects the tracks. Now you should be getting levels. Adjust the gain on g inputs to get best signal of around -6.

If you are getting nothing still in playback of r2r, the g inputs may not be strong enough. In that case consider either a preamp or better yet a small mixer. Then it should be strong.

Let us know what happens.

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2012 5:20 pm 
Loves Pamela's aw16G spot

Favourite food: chinese
done it with my dad's old revox reel to reel to the AW.......becareful of how loud you send in reel to reel signal ......took a bit of trial and error on my part ....also took some of my old tascam cassette stuff to it .....the aw16 is a nice beast

If you wish to avoid seeing a fool you must first break your mirror".............Francois Rabelais