The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:24 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: lucky charms
Machine type: AW16G
I bought a guitar a while back, the seller was in a trio that plays in our area. I kinda stepped up and said "hey, if you ever want to record a practice, I have a bit of stuff...". Of course, I was thinking he'd just acknowledge me to be nice and we'd never speak again.

Well, he emailed me last week and I ended up taking my gear to a sort of practice room/makeshift studio that they frequent. We recorded 10 songs, all "one takes". Typical bar cover tunes. The group is pretty tight, and the guitar player/lead vocalist is VERY talented..in my opinion. The vocals were HORRIBLE. Audio was coming out of two yamaha PA speakers while I was recording, so I'm guess it's all coming through the vocal mic that was live, and the drum mic's as well. He sounds like he's singing in a soda can, incredibly tinny and harsh with high crackle/pops... and no, snap never showed up. ( #-o it was funny to me..) Everything was recorded dry. Time was a concern so I just saved it all and went on my way to work.

We redid the vocals on "Come Together" on the second night we met up. It was the only one we could get done in the limited amount of time I had. It came out ok, as I used my Audix mic and a pop filter and the Presonus, then into the G. I used a few tips I'd read (from MSG) on Compression and applied it sparingly. We originally used a beatup sennheiser he had lying around, and nothing else.. maybe that was the culprit. Anyway, I fed him the mix through phones and he sang without any noise in the room. Holy cow, what a total difference. Clarity is great, it's almost too good when I listen to the mix...I just can't get them to sit correctly. He did a double, one octave lower on certain parts as well.

Anyway..I hope to get back up there soon to redo some other vocals to a few more tracks.

Oh, and that was my first time EVER messing with punching in/out... I honestly can't tell where I did it so I must've done something right? :lol: I hope to get it on a disc, or at least run it from the 16G through the Omni to the PC..so I can share it here, and take in ALL the good and bad opinions/comments that make this place so valuable, imo.

I know I still have a ton of work on "Come Together", let alone the rest of the tunes. Now trying to learn frequencies so I can try and eq the unwanted noise out of the mix...I really wish there were more hours in the day.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 4:45 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Keep at it - lots of fun eh? I've got a similar arrangement with a jazz group - gonna do a live recording in april - Looking forward to hearing your post.