The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Mrskygod
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 4:40 am 
Advancing newbie

Ya know, reading most of your posts I think I should make a suggestion.

You shoud built an observation room next to your studio so that visitors can come and learn.

The more I think about it............ :!: :idea:

PS: That mean the visitors would have to pay for the tickets to enter the studio of course.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:22 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
The most people that have ever been in my tiny studio are 2 besides myself. Definatly crowded. It's OK with just me in there. I've been tracking more and more in the studio 2A. :lol: Right now there's the piano , 2 rack cases , half a dozen string instruments , an amp and the Adub. Definately a better sounding large room for micing. Studio 3A is still an option as well (my office) .

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 6:26 am 
Advancing newbie

I guess I am just very curious to know how you do things, how you work. I have my ES, the 16G and 2 mics with a MPA Gold preamp. I learned to play piano when I was 7 and studied it until I was 18. So, I know I can play ( well maybe not as good as I used to). I need to learn about all this new technology and I feel like time is running away. I need to get back in track quickly.

BTW. I would pay money to watch and learn how you do things, work things.

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2007 7:29 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Well let me know when you wanna drift down here to Texas and I'll show you around. I'm pretty much of a book guy. I read what I want to know and do that until I've pretty much mastered the equipment. I know what works and what doesn't by experiance. And I do experiment a lot. Once I entered the Midi playground my stuff has totally changed. As far as midi goes , I feel like I'm just now kinda "gettin it" . Just to give you an idea how my setup finally evolved.........4 master controllers. The Dave Smith PEK runs the mono and a Motu clock/midi patch bay that controls all the rack synths. The outputs of all those are fed into a 32 channel mixer then on to a selection of 6 different stereo pres , then on to the effects rack , then to the 4416 . 3 sidechains of monitors are used . 2 for mixdown , one for live monitoring. The other two master boards (Motif ES / Triton-LE) contol a Hammond XM-1 (one upper /one lower manual) then on to a PK100 footswitch/bass pedals and also a Behringer midi footswitch controller for the effects rack gear. The Alesis Ion controls the Micron and the Nord Lead2X because Nord's don't receive midi clock for some stupid reason. That branch I use mostly for right hand soloing.

Being able to play is the hardest part. I will practice all the parts for a week or so before trying to track them. The rest is just mixing , editing and mastering.

Stay current on that Motif, try to master a new mode each month. Until you feel very comfortable in the performance mode , things are gonna be a little tough on ya. I've had my Mo now 3 years and I still have a ways to go in the Master mode.

Midi is a must and Yamaha really made the Motif function seamless with midi. That's one of it's most powerful features.

nite all

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:02 am 
Advancing newbie

Thanks mrskygood. Hope to be able to catch up sometimes :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:03 am 
Advancing newbie

Oh, forgot about the first part. I will be in Texarkana sometimes in March. About how far is that from your location?

Leo

Post subject: RECORDING SETUPS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:19 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
MSG,

yeah i know all about studio setups and space requirements. let me tell ya getting my setup to be functional inside of literally 6 feet of space in the forward cabin of my 26 foot RV was a challenge. Climbing into my commander seat (like John Glenn and the Friendship 7 space capsule) is just like me climbing into my seat to sit before the MOTIF XS, RODE MIC with the O1X on my right and the TCHVL on my left and the DAW on my furthest right on a small custom table platfrom from the wall.

PICS coming soon

RE: your MOTIF and learning time. I personally understand and i think the way you're tackling that is right on cue. However, i will say the XS truly makes diving into all of those functions at least 100% easier. Mind you, i dont say this to have braggarts rights or to slight you or your gear in ANY capacity. i say it for informational purpose to people reading these forums to KNOW they improved the MOTIF's reaL-time functions A LOT. Caveat: the MOTIF XS "does NOT have step record" which for real time songwriters such as myself, i appreciate the XS's real time mindset. However, everybody needs step record functions at some time or another and its a shame there is no step time on the XS. Example: i still use my Yamaha QY-20 8 track pocket synth sequencer. very powerful, very easy to use and one of its most powerful features is you can record, in step time, tracks, chords, key changes and literally plot out an entire song in a matter of minutes and then pipe that out to the MOTIF in gorgeous oneBazillionColors!! Note: on the QY-20 i write all of my music data on paper first, BPM, key, measure count, chords. Then it only takes a few mintues to punch it all in on the QY020. Stupididly i never bought the dedicated Yamaha Data Saving device, and data dumps are hair pulling when you don't have the right software or don't know how to do SYS-X dumps that are truly restore-able.

MSG, i wish i could twinkle my nose for ya so you wouldnt have to practice a week before you record. i truly must thank God for the music gift. i always just sit down, turn everything on, and hit record. and with the improved equipment i find myself "editing" LESS than ever before. Of course post-production, mixing and mastering is a given, but still, already, i am pleased that i am not having to apply much make-up to my tracks and that is very personally rewarding.

new samples coming soon. i will post them in the appropriate forum.

//cheers//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 4:50 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Carnac: Geno on Youtube...

Ed: Geno on Youtube?

(...Carnac opens hermetically sealed envelope)

Carnac(reading): What venerable keyboardist becomes an international sensation by videotaping himself recording alt-electronica and drinking margaritas in his Texas studio, becoming the pied piper of the on-line digital musical revolution, thusly leading his minions of newbies to the promised land.

Ed: You are right sir!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:41 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Yeah right..........:laughing3:

Post subject: Re: RECORDING SETUPS
PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 5:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

HappyHarryNET wrote:
. Caveat: the MOTIF XS "does NOT have step record" which for real time songwriters such as myself,

Oh ? what about the Pattern mode ? Snippets of hand played midi note data can be played into a section , you have 16 sections which in turn can be chained together in the song mode. Each of the 16 sections can be overdubbed on in 4 zones on the ES (8 on the XS if memory serves) plus there are 16 separate midi channels per section. Very powerful. In the sometimes mysterious Master mode , you can have a song , pattern , arpagio , phrase or a dozen other things at once.

I was going to uppgrade to an XS but I still don't use or fully understand half of what the ES can do. I'm still content with mine for now. I do wish I had room or a Korg Oaysis but too and challanged by a very small studio.

msg

Post subject: Re: RECORDING SETUPS
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 1:05 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
MSG
[/quote]Oh ? what about the Pattern mode ? Snippets of hand played midi note data can be played into a section , you have 16 sections which in turn can be chained together in the song mode. Each of the 16 sections can be overdubbed on in 4 zones on the ES (8 on the XS if memory serves) plus there are 16 separate midi channels per section. Very powerful. In the sometimes mysterious Master mode , you can have a song , pattern , arpagio , phrase or a dozen other things at once.
Quote:

yeah MSG, you're totally correct with regards to the MOTIF ES. However, on the XS, Step Record is another issue. XS does NOT have it. The XS touts, "every thing in ReaL Time" Cubase AI4 ships with all MOTIF XS units for Mac or PC and does step record just fine. Also, FYI Cubase AI4 is NOT Cubase LE. CBAI4 has the same UI as Cubase 4, is slickly integrated with XS in every way, and does 48 tracks of audio, 64 tracks of MIDI and uses the Cubase 4 engine. And, of course step recording is one of its tiny features. Also the XS dropped the "Breath Controller Jack" which I was kinda wanting to play with that. Admittedly, I do like the XS having a vocoder and it works with the mic easily and its fun.

P.S. for my XS i had to purchase the dedicated half damper pedal from Yamaha. ANY other brand of sustain pedal DOES NOT work. Yamaha doesn't allow for POLARITY toggling. The half damper pedal is nice for piano work and it truly DOES perform like an acoustic half damper pedal.
However, admitedly, it's taking me some time getting use to HALF the pedal doing something else. I haven't tested toggling the half damper option in the Utilities menu to see if i can use this pedal in plain sustain mode. But i dont think i can. That is why Yamaha makes 3 sustain pedals. FC3 Half Damper (for XS ONLY) FC4 Sustain (for Yammie only) and FC5 Switch Controller.

In closing, the XS is such a joy to use in reaL time mode, step record is not something i will lose any sleep over. plus all the DAW and other software recording power that i have can manage that. Actually, i am dedicating my QY-20 to manage serious step recording and arrangements! this little device has now become a powerful device in my musical arsenal and being Yamaha, its General MIDI map is in the same lane as the XS so everybody is happy.

LONG LIVED THE MOTIF ES - still King in many ways

//cheers//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:16 pm 
Advancing newbie

I too still try to figure out what all the ES can do. I not really see an advantage of replacing it with a XS at this time. The voices are good on the ES and it fully meets my expectations.

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 4:47 am 
Advancing newbie

...and reading more about the XS and comparing to what I have in the ES it seems as if the XS is just a " convenience upgrade". So far I have not heard differences in the voices. Am I wrong here?

Leo

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:34 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G

Ladies and gentlemen, we will arrive at studio 2C shortly.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 3:27 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

The new XS new voices are mainly in the performance mode but the S90ES holy grail grand pinao samples are there . These rivial the korg Oasys piano. Yes the XS is pretty much a convieniance upgrade. The only real plus I see is having 8 zones instead of 4. I'm sure Yamaha has milked the Motif series for about as much as they can. (Jezze , the technology is 6 or 7 years old now)

Can't wait to see what they relpace it with,

msg