The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:56 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:52 pm 
Tinhorn

Quote:
Is there a reason the sound should be degraded when monitored through the G compared to when my Motif is directly connected to the monitors?

No. We have D.'s ES-7, my bass, and the drum machine, all plugged in directly to the G, using the G's preamps. The G's Monitor Out is connected to a pair of Wharfedales. (bass into HiZ)

We practice using that set up, and then eventually record a take to get an objective listen. We don't have any noise issues from anything, during practice or during the recording.

I apologize that I can't give you any insight into solving your problem, I can only confirm that it should work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2006 3:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
CW wrote:
Quote:
Is there a reason the sound should be degraded when monitored through the G compared to when my Motif is directly connected to the monitors?

No. We have D.'s ES-7, my bass, and the drum machine, all plugged in directly to the G, using the G's preamps. The G's Monitor Out is connected to a pair of Wharfedales. (bass into HiZ)

We practice using that set up, and then eventually record a take to get an objective listen. We don't have any noise issues from anything, during practice or during the recording.

I apologize that I can't give you any insight into solving your problem, I can only confirm that it should work.

That's a double no..... :lol: :lol: :lol:

However........degraded sound quality could be defined as not as much dymanic range on the recorded signal vs. direct to the the monitors. That is the reason why the Mo should be recorded at 3/4 or full throttle. The patches will sound dull and some of the background sounds (like aftertouch modulations , etc. ) on the patches will not be heard on the recording.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:24 am 
Boot Polisher

Bottom line? Sounds like shit when I go through the G.

Maybe I should try and mic the monitors while they are directly connected to the Motif? Probably more musical.

I am a little frustrated. :x

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Too strange.......mine works fine.

We gotta figure this out. Go to the voice mode of the Mo.

Key in these buttons ......Voice , Edit , F2 (output) Set the volume of the patch to about 75 in the window. The other parameters are pan , and the effect sends. leave them alone. press voice and try again. It seems like the Mo's outputs are blowing out the G's inputs for some strange reason.
If that doesn't work , go back and try 50. Whatever works press save and say yes to the confirmation screen then wait for the memory to write and the change will be saved upon shutdown and restart of the Mo.

In a way I hope this isn't it because there is no software global patch volume setting that I am aware of other than the Mo's hardware external volume fader. one would have to reset each patch. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:41 am 
Cowhand

kahuna wrote:

Maybe I should try and mic the monitors while they are directly connected to the Motif? Probably more musical.

It should sound reall good when you plug into the g.

Do you have your inputs panned left and right? If not , you are sending your L and R signal from the motif directly down the center , which can result in some wierdness....

I wish you lived nearby. Id cruise over and try to help you. Hang in there man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 12:42 am 
Boot Polisher

More Paul wrote:
kahuna wrote:

It should sound reall good when you plug into the g.

Do you have your inputs panned left and right? If not , you are sending your L and R signal from the motif directly down the center , which can result in some wierdness....

I wish you lived nearby. Id cruise over and try to help you. Hang in there man.

I wish you could drop by too. Thanks.

The input pan L R was set to the middle, naturally because it is the default setting, and I am about the fire it up and listen.

Good thinking.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:16 am 
Boot Polisher

Hey! This is definitely much better!

I need to find those pesky patches and make 'em scream.

Timing is everything. I will wait until my five-month old daughter has finished her nap in my studio. She loves falling asleep to live music, but I want to really fire up the Motif.

Later

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:56 am 
Cowhand

Glad that worked. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:54 am 
Boot Polisher

More Paul wrote:
Glad that worked. :)

I wish..

As soon as I turn up something like a concert grand and play a bit of bass I continue to get this horrible sound.

More experiments...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:59 am 
Boot Polisher

mrskygod wrote:
Too strange.......mine works fine.

We gotta figure this out. Go to the voice mode of the Mo.

Key in these buttons ......Voice , Edit , F2 (output) Set the volume of the patch to about 75 in the window. The other parameters are pan , and the effect sends. leave them alone. press voice and try again. It seems like the Mo's outputs are blowing out the G's inputs for some strange reason.
If that doesn't work , go back and try 50. Whatever works press save and say yes to the confirmation screen then wait for the memory to write and the change will be saved upon shutdown and restart of the Mo.

In a way I hope this isn't it because there is no software global patch volume setting that I am aware of other than the Mo's hardware external volume fader. one would have to reset each patch. :twisted:

Now this is getting somewhere. I just turned the Concert Grand patch down to 75 from 120. The sound is much improved - 90% and with a bit of tweaking - crap, this means I need to adjust every patch?

More experimenting...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:58 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Ok what that tells me is that your Mo is sending too hot of a signal into the G. Where are the positions of the G's input gain knobs during recording.?

Like I said earlier you shuld not have to turn down every single patch. There are a few I turn up and a few I turn down. I have only adjusted maybe 1% of the patches in mine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:15 pm 
Boot Polisher

mrskygod wrote:
Ok what that tells me is that your Mo is sending too hot of a signal into the G. Where are the positions of the G's input gain knobs during recording.?

Like I said earlier you shuld not have to turn down every single patch. There are a few I turn up and a few I turn down. I have only adjusted maybe 1% of the patches in mine.

The G's input gain is usually around 10 o'clock. I sometimes have had the gain all the way to 'line' and I use the preamp gain. I have tried all sorts of combos.

I'll tell you what sounds beautiful is playing through my (faulty) Kurzweil Rumour reverb. Damn, if only the assembly guys had a clew how to solder!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:47 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Leaving the pre amp out of the loop , Mo straight to G. inputs knobs to 10o'clock , Mo output set to 3/4 to 7/8 volume w/factory output virtual gain yields a signal in the Grand Piano patch of 0db on the meter if I hit low full chords (both hands) at full velocity on mine.

I'm wondering now if you have a missmatch in the pre or something.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:25 am 
Boot Polisher

mrskygod wrote:
Leaving the pre amp out of the loop , Mo straight to G. inputs knobs to 10o'clock , Mo output set to 3/4 to 7/8 volume w/factory output virtual gain yields a signal in the Grand Piano patch of 0db on the meter if I hit low full chords (both hands) at full velocity on mine.

I'm wondering now if you have a missmatch in the pre or something.

I don't normally use the peramp, I have always directly connected the Yamaha to the monitors, unless going through the G, so the pre/G mis-match idea is out of the loop.

I'll go back and re-up the virtual gain on the keys and check it out.

Time to get back to beating our rugs and maybe give them a shampoo.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 12:58 am 
Boot Polisher

I'd like to thank you all for giving me a hand here. Having new gear is no fun when you've just spent X greenbacks and it sounds off.

I just played the Concert Grand and for the first time I am getting a smooth sound without the crappy crackling I used to get when I would play full sounding notes and chords.

Now to make some sounds...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:47 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

\:D/ :cheers:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:41 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
Machine type: AW16G
Code:
I just played the Concert Grand and for the first time I am getting a smooth sound without the crappy crackling I used to get when I would play full sounding notes and chords.

Houston...we have a solution!

Geno is the MAN for all your synth needs.

P.S. to the Illustrious Synth Ho himself I recieved the memory chips Monday and they look the right size but I won't get a chance to install till this weekend.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:03 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Suh.......wheat

:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 9:11 pm 
Cowhand

kahuna wrote:
I'd like to thank you all for giving me a hand here. Having new gear is no fun when you've just spent X greenbacks and it sounds off.

So, what exactly was the problem? Settings on the G ? or the Motiff?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 10:26 am 
Boot Polisher

More Paul wrote:
kahuna wrote:

So, what exactly was the problem? Settings on the G ? or the Motiff?

The Motif was sending too hot of a signal so when I turned down some of the individual patches it practically eliminated the distortion.

I still don't know why the noise was always in the left monitor G channel out. What I am amazed at is how I can connect the Motif directly to my monitors and there is no problem with distortion, no matter where the gain is set.