The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 5:40 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Midi controlled devices usually have two to four mysterious jacks in the back. There 5 types . What for , you wonder?

1. Midi In.

This one is the no brainer jack. It simple means that midi from somewhere else goes in here. On synths , it is usually connected to a midi out from a midi (keyboard or pedalboard) controller , midi sequencer , or synth workstation. It also can be connected to a midi thru. (more on this later)

2. Midi Out

This jack passes the midi information generated by a device itself to be sent somewhere else. An example would be a midi keyboard controller keyboard (midi out) to a rack synth (midi in). Simple ? you bet.

3. Midi Thru

This jack also usually (but not always) provided for some interesting options. The midi thru jack provides the EXACT same information that is present at the midi IN jack. Why do that ? Well , one can "daisy chain" rack synths or devices to a master controller quite easily. Here's how it's done. Run a midi cable from the midi OUT of the controller keyboard , sequencer, computer, etc. Connect the other end to a rack synth (tone module) midi IN connector. Then run another cable from the midi THRU connector from the same device on to the midi IN of the next rack synth. Repeat on and on.

This works well as long as the total combined midi cable lengths are less than about 50 feet. Midi errors can occur in cable just as microphone signals degrade in long cable runs with out "booster" amplification. The symptoms of too many midi thru devices (mine got freaky at about 8) or too long cable lengths are strange notes , dropped polyphony , unwanted program changes , hung midi notes , etc.

The answer to this problem is simple. A midi thru box. Essentially it is a "preamp" for midi . One runs the contoller synth from the midi out of the synth to the midi in of the thru box. Really neat ones have 8 or more midi thru jacks and several midi ins. Run one of the midi thrus (on the thru box) to each midi in on the rack synths. (the midi thru on the rack synth will be unused) Each midi thru output on the box will support another 50 feet of cable , conections , etc. Think of the "daisy chain" setup as a series connection and the midi thru box as a parallel connection. Another use for a midi thru box is controlling a device 100's of feet away from the controller. Simply midi out to the thru box on to the the midi in of the next about every 50 feet till you get there. Midi thru boxes require external power from either a line source power supply or the cheaper ones use batterys.

4. Midi out/thru

This jack is switched one or the other by a menu inside the device.

5. Midi MMC

This jack outputs a special form of midi (midi machine code ) that is a system exclusive message for controlling tape transports on another device. The master device uses a MMC jack connected to the midi in of the slave. The only device I have that has a MMC jack is my 4416.

Don't be afraid of midi connetions. I know of no way one can damage anything (but your ears :lol: ) by midi connecting something wrong.
The neat thing about midi is , after the connections are made , it either works or it doesn't. There is no half ass kinda works (with certain rare exceptions I won't cover here) unless you have a defective midi cable.
this cable tester does 'em all

Have fun , it ain't brain surgery. if yall want I'll explain the different types of midi messages some other time.

Thanks to Ricky Recordo for inspiring me to get off my ass and learn midi. It has opened a new world of creativity for me.

MSG

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: GREAT INFO
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:28 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
MSG,

wonderful info for newbies and oldies alike.

on another note...

had i purchased an AW4416 in the first place, i never would have ended up in O1X land. in the grand scheme of things i know i have more options this way, but when you were talking MMC on the 4416 i couldn't help think about how flexible that console was and still is.

if you ever need someone to keep your 4416 "dust free" just let me know.
i'll rack her immediately.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2007 7:07 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
I have yet to find an easier (once learned) and more versatile recorder. There is no computer interfaces that have the limitless patching in/out options of a 4416. I liked my G and was pretty good at it but there are many things it just won't do. I'll be using mine for sometime and I still find features that I didn't know existed, The abilty to automix really saves a lot of time and delivers much more pro results than the G. Yeah what Yamaha learned in the 01X was certainly applied to the recorders.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.