The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:55 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 4:33 am 
Advancing newbie

I am not sure if this topic belongs here or if it should be placed in"recording drums"
My drummer no longer is available to record with me due to the current situation in the job market. He had to sell his drums and gave up music all together.
My question is:
Is there any lessons or information available that explains how to use and to write? drums with the motif es?

Thanks in advance guys.

Much appreciated.

Leo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:58 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Hmmmmm I posted a replay last night but I guess it didn't take. Load up from the percussion voice mode the rock std, set or whatever it is called. Select a tempo , push the arppagiator button on (lit) then press a key. A drum sequence will play as long as the key is down. You have 4 other preprogrammed patterns to select from for this voice. These can be edited by pressing the arp tab (F5 or F6 if memory serves. This brings up the arp editor page. You can choose from over a thousand arp patterns for any instrument. Some arp patterns like the bass patterns also make good drum arps. Play around with the pattern selections. Pressing enter saves the selected arp pattern to the F tab button. If you want it to remain permanent after you turn the power off , do an "all save" so the pattern remains with the song you are working on.

Going a step deeper into the ES , you can record the arp changes into the sequencer and then record the audio into your recorder after hitting the ES play button.

If you really wanna be slick , set up the recorder to midi be a midi transport slave off of the ES to have the recorder's transport start with the ES sequencer's play button.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:20 am 
Advancing newbie

You just amaze me Geno. Thanks a lot

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:33 am 
Advancing newbie

:roll:
so...............how do you do fills and breaks?

I think that is the problem I really have doing the drums myself. It never seems to turn out right.

Leo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:10 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Well not being a drummer , I'm not qualified to answer that. I have experimented with recording the arps to midi files , then exporting them to Sonar's sequencer and modifying them until I have something that sounds "right". Mind you , not being a drummer , this can be a long arduous task as many of the sequences never sound right.

A drum machine that generates midi files is my current method. Sonar comes with Session Drummer which when past the learning curve can produce some nice results.

I've pretty much given up on hardware drum machines.

The problem with the ES is it is a great overall workststion but it does not do everything great. Drums seem IMO to be it's most weak spot.

Maybe the XS is improved in this area but so far my test drives have not indicated so.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:19 am 
Advancing newbie

Guess I better give it some thoughts and try to figure something out real quick.

Thanks for your reply.

:)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 4:51 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Leo , you can also hand play the drums into the sequencer in the voice mode. Just set it up to record one measure and keep playing until it sounds right as it will continually overdub the midi sequence. Then in the song mode you can copy the measure as many times as needed to build the drum track. Turn on the quantise to about 1/8 or 1/16th note and that way it will be on beat no matter how off you play. Leave the feel and swing controls set to zero.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:36 am 
Advancing newbie

Geno, you wrote:
Turn on the quantise to about 1/8 or 1/16th note and that way it will be on beat no matter how off you play. Leave the feel and swing controls set to zero.

Thanks for that advise. Almost forgot all about the quantising.
Cool.

Thanks
Leo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:22 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Because quantizing is a midi effect , you can turn it on and off or adjust it in scenes in your ES. Yes it has scenic ability just like the G. In fact you can use the ES sequencer to change scenes in the G as well as internally on the ES. Very powerful stuff.

Drum tracks need to have random early or late spots during a sequence to help disguise them to the average laymen listener.

The easiest way to midi sequence on anything is in software like Sonar or whatever. The large piano roll screen makes composition and editing an easy task instead of all those tiny screens and buttons in the ES. For less the price of a medium to top of the line drum machine you can have software that creates drum tracks 10 times faster than hardware. If you like what you come up with , simply play the sequence back into the ES in the voice or performance mode. The ES loves to play back midi files in any voice you choose. More than one synth ? The options are only limited by your imagination.

The ES can do it all , but takes forever.

msg