The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Drum Loop sample CD's
PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2006 10:36 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Has anybody purchased any drum loop/sample CD's and used them in their recordings??

Pros or cons? Fidelity when mixed?

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 12:25 am 
Ultra Botkiller

I purchased http://www.platinumloops.com/ online.

I downloaded TONS of drum loops, not for use in the final project, but for some variation when recording. I can set a loop to a sample pad and play to a more realistic feel than scratching something out to a drum machine in the event that my drummer is unavailable.

It's best to use something other than the G if working with samples in order to get it "just right".

Cin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:16 am 
preset ho

I used to gather up drum loops - until I came across Stylus RMX which gives you endless, customisable loops and variations. Fully midi-controllable, too.

I reckon I've maybe touched about 5% of what it offers and it constantly supplies the goodies time and again. For the money it's astonishing.

And since I've had it I've not added a single drum loop from another source - simply no need any more. Pick a style from the huge library and set about rolling it into your own.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:11 am 
The Reverend

Great....

Cinda,

When you say its better not to use the G, what are the other alternatives besides a computer to get it:
Quote:
just right

My Old Alesis Hr-16 is functionable, but the sounds are pretty dated, and the time it takes to string together patterns is unacceptable due to the nature of my serious drum shortcomings...How's the Stylus RMX sounds?

Anybody else used one successfully??

Thanks, Cinda and Lysdexia for the tips..

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 3:51 pm 
Tinhorn

Mr. Lysdexia - thanks for the tip about Stylus RMX. I have been looking around for a 'software drum machine' to replace my DR670. I keep running out of space on the DR and I would also like to add some additional loops to my drum backing tracks. (what I am going to use to play them live is another problem/opportunity)

I have looked through the Spectrasonics website, and scanned some of the reviews, Stylus RMX looks like a pretty comprehensive tool.

If you wouldn't mind, could you please help me with a couple of questions:

In my DR670 every drum loop also has a corresponding 'fill'. I use these a lot to give the rest of the band drum cues between verse > chorus, chorus > bridge etc. transitions. Just like a real drummer.

Does Stylus RMX have the same feature in their groove library, or do you have to build the fills yourself?

How about 3/4 time, 6/8 time etc? I haven't seen anything about that in the web site or reviews. Does Stylus RMX come with 3/4 and 6/8 loops/fills?

My sound focus is on lopos that sound like a real drummer, not hip-hop/electronica stuff. Does Stylus RMX have a good representation of trad drum kits and grooves/fills?

In my DR670 I can take any loop and dial in any drum set for that loop e.g I can take a trad drum set in a rock 4/4 loop and turn it into a world beat sound by substituting a different 'kit'. Plus I can edit individual elements of a user kit, ie change just the snare sound. I think Stylus RMX can do all of that. Am I correct?

Thanks
Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:12 pm 
preset ho

Stylus has more controllable elements than I dare to even try and list. They also offer full video tutorials to allow you to master the fullest extent of the programme. But, if all you want is loops and controllable fills - it will do this with consumate ease.

Fantastically - to me - you can also set it to 'vary and evolve in real time' any chosen loop so that you never find yourself just drolling around the same beat over and over. Unless you want to, of course ;)

This isn't to say it's difficult - it's very easy to use. But, if you want brilliant loops with first rate production sounds in an easy to edit and still powerful interface I know of nothing better.

I also bought and paid for Battery 2 - I no longer use it for drums since Stylus RMX. I also tried Groove agent and Rebirth - neither in the same class although Rebirth stays valid for it's ace bass sounds.

Go to there website and have a look at the videos so see the power available - it's awesome. I can't recommend it highly enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 4:36 pm 
The Reverend

Thanks for the good info....

Have you ever exported any tracks and loaded them onto the G?
Can you edit the tracks in the tempo map if you need to make changes, assuming one can export them in a .wav file?

Also, approximately how long does it take to put together a decent drum track based on the preset loops, including time for changing some of the fills etc(so its not the same throught the whole song)?...I'm talking right out of the box... And about how long is the learning curve once you mastered most of the functions? Everybody's different, of course, but just the time for a software-phobe :{

This looks like a program to delve into!!!

Salud,
BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:15 pm 
Boot Polisher

I'm currently using various collection offered by Beta Monkey music and I'm extremely happy with the results. They're the ones to turn to when you need good sounding acoustic drum loops.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:15 pm 
The Reverend

With the Beta Monkey disks, can you export them as a full track to load onto the G after you'v finished a complete drum track? EZ?

Salud,

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 8:34 pm 
Cowhand

bokchoy wrote:
With the Beta Monkey disks, can you export them as a full track to load onto the G after you'v finished a complete drum track? EZ?

Salud,

BK

Easy? depends what software you are using and how proficient you are at it....

I use some of the beta monkey lops as well, among others. They are standard wav loops 1 to 4 bars long. You need to use some sort of software (ACID or something else) to compile the loops into a whole drumbeat. then you export a stereo wav, take note of the bpm, burn a cd, and import to the G (after setting the tempo on the g).

or do it the other way around.
Record your song on the g using one of the pad drumbeats through your whole song (just to keep the time). or Make sure you are using the midi sync if you are using an external drum machine for this purpose.
Then master your song to cd without the drumbeat (you might want to put some clicks for a count in). Import to your computer, throw it in your software, set the BPM and build your wav sample loop beat around your already composed song.....

good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:36 am 
The Reverend

Thanks for the tips MP...doesn't sound that "ez" based on my proficiency...ahhh, well, maybe its time to choose some software, sit down, and learn the thing...now if I can just convince my family...

Salud,

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:13 am 
Boot Polisher

More Paul wrote:
bokchoy wrote:

Salud,

BK

Easy? depends what software you are using and how proficient you are at it....

I use some of the beta monkey lops as well, among others. They are standard wav loops 1 to 4 bars long. You need to use some sort of software (ACID or something else) to compile the loops into a whole drumbeat. then you export a stereo wav, take note of the bpm, burn a cd, and import to the G (after setting the tempo on the g).

good luck

This is exactly what I do. I usually sit down and arrange my songs with my guitar in my lap and my laptop in front of me. I browse through my Beta Monkey collection and search for fitting drum beats. After I've finished arranging, I'll have a drum track ready. Takes a bit time but works for me. I use Acid 2.0 and Sound Forge version something-or-the-other (came bundled with the ACID) to loop and edit the drum beats. They work extremely well for my purposes. If I have the time (i.e. remember :lol: ), I'll post some pre-production mp3s of my work here so you can get a picture of what it sounds like.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 6:07 pm 
The Reverend

What are the simplest, most basic host sequencer software programs out there...I mean really simple for a computer challenged guy like me?

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:27 am 
Boot Polisher

bokchoy wrote:
What are the simplest, most basic host sequencer software programs out there...I mean really simple for a computer challenged guy like me?

BK

Well, I love my Acid 2.0 for its no-nonsense simplicity (it's quite old), although its editing capabilities could be a bit more advanced as it would keep me from the hassle of juggling my loops between Acid and Sound Forge.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:25 pm 
Tinhorn

Parental Advisory - this post contains references to Apple products and drum loops. Discretion should be used when viewed by residents of the south of France with irrational phobias in this area.

Quote:

BK

Unless you own a Mac this won't help much. But here goes: The simplest sequencer I've seen so far is Apple's Garage band.
Click on a button and another set of buttons pop up: Drums, Guitar, Bass etc.
Click on Drums and a bunch of loops show up.
Click on the loop to audition it
If you like the loop drag it up to the sequencer and it creates the track and loads the loop
Loop not long enough? Stretch it out.
Need a different loop in the song? Drag it up and place it where you want.
Hit space bar and it plays.
Garage Band has a lot more functionality than this, but it is this easy to get started.

I started out a couple of years ago by picking up a copy of Computer Music magazine.
http://www.computermusic.co.uk/main.asp
It comes with a DVD that contains a copy of CM Studio, part of which is the Computer Muzys sequencer. For $20, what could I lose?
To be honest, I couldn't figure it out. But at that time I was a real klutz. Not that I know much more now. I haven't tried it since. You might have more luck. Cheaper than taking my wife to a movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 6:51 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
You can get a low end version of Sony ACID, called ACID Music Studio, for $70 or less. I use it and it's all I need for making rhythm backing tracks. It's oriented around loops, but you can also record a vocal or instrument track while listening to the rhythm. It will also handle MIDI tracks. Pretty amazing piece of software.

See:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/produc ... family.asp

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2006 8:03 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Acid music studio is an excellent choice.

I use Acid 4.0, and I got most of my loops from purchasing British Recording magazines that often have attached CDR's or DVD's filled with free loops and trial programs.

I probably have about 20 or so of these free CD/DVD's.

However the program that Lys mentioned sounds very interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 2:42 pm 
Tinhorn

Bokchoy - Acid indeed looks like a good choice, from what I can see on the Sony site. Lots of available 'help' comes with it. Good reviews on the 'Net as well.

There is a trial version of Acid Studio and a free version of Acid Xpress available. You can try before you buy:
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/download/step1.asp?catid=1

Have fun

CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2006 6:20 pm 
The Reverend

Thanks all!

BK

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 10:38 pm 
Lone Star

Pleae help an ignorant novice recorder:

So I would:

1. Get a Beta Monkey cd w/ drum loops and a computer recording program like Acid.

2. Open both applications.

3. Find about 5 loops I like (including fills for intro, during the song, and end).

4. Do I just click and drag them into acid for as many bars as I want?

5. Do you change the bpm in Acid?

6. I would then save a 3 minute drum track, burn the wav file to cd then upload it to the AW16G under one of its 16 tracks.

Is it that simple?

I don't have a sound card outfitted for computer recording, but I guess I don't need one for this. I tried using the Boss DR880 but even that is a PITA trying to complete a whole song.