The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:39 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:25 am 
Tinhorn

glockaxis - Don't give up on the DR 880 - I've set up about 50 songs on my DR 670, complete with fills and mixtures of factory presets and user presets. After the first couple of songs it becomes routine.

I start by writing down what I call a drum map: the song, bar by bar, with the drum pattern to be used for each bar. Writing down the map and figuring which patterns to use takes the longest part of the process. Once you are organized, punching in the patterns is pretty quick. I always include a 1 - 2, 1-2-3-4 count in. The more you use your drum machine, the more you will become familiar with the patterns.

I have the DR-670 synched to the G through MIDI. Connect thr drum machine line outs to the G, set up a stereo track, set your levels, press play/record an away you go.

The PITA will go away.

Colin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:40 am 
Boot Polisher

glockaxis wrote:
Pleae help an ignorant novice recorder:

So I would:

1. Get a Beta Monkey cd w/ drum loops and a computer recording program like Acid.

2. Open both applications.

3. Find about 5 loops I like (including fills for intro, during the song, and end).

4. Do I just click and drag them into acid for as many bars as I want?

5. Do you change the bpm in Acid?

6. I would then save a 3 minute drum track, burn the wav file to cd then upload it to the AW16G under one of its 16 tracks.

Is it that simple?

I don't have a sound card outfitted for computer recording, but I guess I don't need one for this. I tried using the Boss DR880 but even that is a PITA trying to complete a whole song.

That's basically it. Open Acid, put CD (or DVD) in the drive, choose which loops you want to use, drag them and use them, mix the level of the tracks to your liking, mix the tracks into one stereo track, burn it on a CD-RW, import it to one of G's stereo tracks. Voilá, drums: check.

You can change the tempo of the loops in ACID, but beware, if you do drastic changes to the original tempo the loops start to sound like crap.

Cheers,
Lauri

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:07 pm 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
Its best to learn a little about Acid before you begin adding loops...I haven't used it for a few months now, so I'm a little rusty...

Actually Beta Monkey is just a series of wav drum loops, not an application...I save all the Beta Monkey loops to my hard drive for easy access...

Just experiment...save a few different versions of each song(drums) so you can change it later if you don't like the original... once add the drum track to the G, it there for good...the only thing I don't like about adding these type of wav drum loops is that you can't pan seperate drums(snare, kick etc) once its on the G...You could take individual Beta Monkey loops(there are some loops that are solo drums) and do all the panning in Acid, but for me, that would take way to long and defeat the purpose...

Good luck...