The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:25 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 5:47 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW16G
Has anyone had this problem? I recently set up to record my band. We did about 5 or 6 songs. THere were no adjustments between takes or songs. No changes of equipment, players, mics, or placements. But when I play it back, on some songs, the drums sound fine. On others, the drum sound (especially the overheads) sound annoyingly brittle and thin.

I am keeping the same EQ and Dymamics from song to song. No adjustments, but the sound is so different. How can this be?

Any thoughts? Or is it just me?

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:11 pm 
Rodeo Clown

Did you save and recall a scene from the first session?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:58 pm 
Ranch Hand

I didn't consciously use any scenes.

Do you mean for the recording or for the playback?

On the playback, I did check to see if the parameters on the various tracks were the same (EQ settings, Dynamic settings) and they were the same in both songs.

I'm still kind of "hit and miss" with the scenes, so I usually try to save the scene from the first song in the session (make a note of which song that was) after I'm relatively happy with the settings, and then mix all songs from that session (say session Aug '05), before moving on to remix any other recording sessions. When I go back to the (Aug 05) session, I find the song with the saved scene in it, call up the scene, and then can mix from that session again.

The music on the different songs was very different; one a slow, spooky song, the others more energetic (like a cover of "Shake Some Action" by Flamin' Goovies). Could the different feel of the songs be enough to make the drums sound out of place in one and not the other?

Post subject: Well
PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:56 pm 
Rodeo Clown

I would think so Corey if the drummer is smackin' 'em harder in one tune than the other, you'd get different levels for sure.

When you check the playback settings, are there thick black lines representing the slot below the fader?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:47 am 
Ranch Hand

I'm not sure what black lines you are talking about. Which screen is this in? The View/Meter screen?

Post subject: Well...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:20 pm 
Rodeo Clown

I'll have to look it up Corey, but basically theres a screen that shows what your fader position was. If you loweer the fader to "0" then bring it up, the black line goes away when you reach the former fader position.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:34 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

I think Don is refering to the view/fader screen. It lets you see where your physical faders are set in relation to where the virtual faders are set.

edit: I thought it went without saying that you press the view button to get to this screen, but I'll say it anyway. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:16 pm 
Tenderfoot

Could this be a case of the dreaded "demo" scenes rearing their ugly head? My first fix would be to eliminate the demo, get your settings right for 1 song, save them as a scene, and then recall that scene for the other songs....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 6:47 pm 
Ranch Hand

Thanks, The demo is long gone. I don't think it is a scene problem. I remixed again last night, and just tried to take some highs out of the drums. It sounds better, but still not as good as the other songs from the same session.

I guess this tells me that I have to pay more attention to placement, even after the first song. I had been just setting the mics up, getting the placement where I liked it, monitoring the results from the first song, and then forgetting about them for the rest of the songs for that session. I guess I need to do at least a quick monitor after each and every song recorded. It could have been that the mic stands slowly moved, got bumped, or otherwise changed position.

I think the problem was that I was just being lazy - and not wanting to interrupt the "flow of the evening"

Post subject: Possibility
PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2005 7:46 pm 
The General

Hey Carey,

Here's a possibility I can think of outside of what was already discussed:

The difference in arrangements/instrumentation between songs could account for the relative sound differences. If you sound checked on a dense arrangement or a tune with a heavy guitar or bass sound, the relative tone of your overheads could be somewhat masked by the other instruments and sound "right". If the next song was more sparsely arranged and you kept the same mic positions and gain settings, the results might be more harsh or bright within context.

Over time I've learned that one key to recording is capturing the right sounds for the tune. A template approach doesn't always work. Experiment by moving stuff around and (if you have them) try different mics and/or preamps. Small adjustments in tracking can make a huge difference.

Peace Out,

Gary