The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:46 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: home cooking
Machine type: AW1600
Hi everyone,

I have a Roland TD-12 electric kit that sounds big and phat through my home stereo but thin and lame through my AW1600.

Does anyone have any tips as to why this is so ? Ive turned the effects off the channels. I just wish I could get the same sound in the AW as when I run it direct into the stereo.

All time on this matter is greatly appreciated.

Cheers

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:59 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Hi BR,

First of all, welcome to the forum, make yourself at home.

About the problem, there could be many causes. First thing I would do is check if there's nasty scene active. Press the scene button and recall initial data. That'll kill all settings that are different from default. Second thing is, I would record something else. Plug in a mic and sing something. Does it also sound so thin through the AW?

Is there any hardware between the Roland and the G that is NOT there when you play it directly over the hi fi set?

Compare the levels; are they the same? It could very well be that through the AW, the levels that are offered to the hi fi set are lower.

These are the things that come to mind, but there probably are more. Any more takers?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:29 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Hi BR,
I'll add something to Robbie's suggestions. First we must know if U are listening AW through the same home stereo as Roland drums or through other speakers? HI-FI speakers always sound "nicer" to ears, because they're made for final consumer, not studio.
Did U try to compare sound of all 3 sources through phones? (3rd is Roland's phone out, I'm sure it must be there)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:43 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: lucky charms
Boognish..

great name by the way...Ween are the shizznit!

I record my TD-6, straight into an AW16G. As Robbie metioned, make sure all settings are clear and check the volume produced by the Roland. Your kit is superior to mine, so I'd imagine there are compression/eq settings for the kit parts...check those, and reset all Roland settings to defaults...if you are able. I found I had to turn my kit nearly all the way up to get a descent sound that was close to listening via the headphones, direct from the Roland brain. Also, I had to adjust each piece (cymbals etc..) several times to "tune" the volume levels while playing since the velocity is true.

And like Dejan mentioned, the stereo speakers could be making all the difference as well.

Long live the boognish!!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:37 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Hi Boognish - welcome to the forum. I'm curious about the speaker/listening environment question as well. If the drums are sounding great through different speakers and in a different room than where you are listening to the direct recordings, you might consider sticking a mic up and capturing them through your home stereo speakers. It wouldn't be the first time somebody pumped a direct signal through speakers and mic'd it up to give it some life.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:59 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi and welcome Boognish,

I have the TD12 in my studio. I record the TD-12 directly from the 2 master outputs of the TD-12 plugged in my AW2400. EQ and effects in nthe AW are always flat and I can hear the same sound like produced with this http://www.thomann.de/de/roland_pm30_drummonitor_21system.htm monitors.

Maybe your home stereo needs other settings in the TD12 than the speakers connected to the AW. Try to compare the TD12 sound with the recorded tracks with the same speakers. A flat recording must produce the same sound.

HTH
Andreas

PostPosted: Sun Jun 14, 2009 8:59 am 
Welcome to the Forum!

Favourite food: home cooking
Thanks to everyone for their time on this, I really appreciate it.

To anwser a few questions, im listening to with the same speakers , (I use an old powerful marantz amp and speakers)
When I plug the kit directly into the stereo it sounds huge, when I run it through the AW then same input on stereo it sounds not as warm or loud.

Im going to go try a few of the suggestions and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again everyone.

Will

PostPosted: Mon Jun 15, 2009 8:25 pm 
DS Techie and Newbie of the Month!

I am curious. How are the 2 devices connected?

Forgive me if these 2 ideas are not helpful:

1) The TD12 manual (page 76) refers to switches which affect the MASTER out or PHONE connections. Is something switched off? A loss of 'ambiance' or 'mpx' in the output would affect the sound.

2) Are the impedances of the devices compatible? I am not knowledgeable in this area, but assume it would affect the quality of the sound.