The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Sep 22, 2017 1:14 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: rode nt5s for overheads
PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 10:06 pm 
Greenhorn

hi all

i wonder if anyone could offer some advice.......

i've recently recorded some drum tracks using a a cheap set of drum mics, which i read a great Sound on Sound magazine review on:
http://www.red5audio.com/acatalog/Drum_Kit_Mics.html

On the whole i'm pretty happy with the results, but i feel the overhead sound lets things down a bit....sounds a bit trashy to me.

Was thinking about getting a matched pair of Rode NT5's to use instead as the ones that came with the set. As ever money is a bit of an issue, so its this kind of £200 budget i'd be looking at. does anyone have the rode nt5s and use them for drum overheads? and also, anyone used them for recording acoustic guitars? Be interested to hear any opinions on them or anything similar?

Thanks
Alex

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:52 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Maybe it's a matter of mic placement and/or EQ'ing. I'd experiment a little with it first.

Besides, it is also a matter of where your standards are, I use a pair of Samson C2's which make me happy, but your mics might sound better.

If you're considering a specific pair (and I understand you do), I'd ask the shop if I could try them out for a day or so. That'll tell you a lot more than any data sheet you could find.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:07 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
I have a matched pair of NT-5s as well. I find them very good once properly placed. The best mics in the world don't sound as good as well placed cheaper ones. Each mic has it's "spot" it belongs in. It involes much experimentation as Rob says. Mics vary alot to the room. Big rooms will allow you to get further away to capture some of the room sound. All mic mixes require some kind of EQ.because all rooms are different. That flat freq response on paper doesn't mean the mic responds that way to all frequencys when recorded in a live room. The freq chart means it does in a dead room. Again placement. Natural phase cancelling in a given room , booming corners , reflections are all reasons placement is paramount as well as capturing acurate dynamic audio of the performance. We could certainly go deeper into room rocket science but that's 60's Guy turf.

Not trying to lecture .........just the way I understand it.

Ah the joys of recording direct.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: rode nt5s for overheads
PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:19 pm 
The General

mrskygod wrote:
Natural phase cancelling in a given room , booming corners , reflections are all reasons placement is paramount as well as capturing acurate dynamic audio of the performance.

Great answer. There's probably several days of discussion points in this one sentence.

When I change rooms, drum kits or drummers.....it takes me at least half a day to get the drum sound I want. Drives some drummers (and other musicians) crazy but simple, yet often overlooked details like checking for phase cancellation can make the difference between a very good drum sound and a crap sound. Moving overheads an inch or two can make a huge difference. Moving a kick or snare mic an inch can be even more dramatic.

Don't even get me started on player dynamics. Word to the wise.....drummers almost always play harder/louder during tracking than the soundcheck. Another reason to leave yourself tons of headroom.

Gary

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:32 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Bartman wrote:
drummers almost always play harder/louder during tracking than the soundcheck.

As far I'm concerned, you can leave out the "almost"...

Realising this is the case, I thought I was absolutely sure I could handle the drummers loudest bang.

I could not. :?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Fri Aug 01, 2008 5:37 pm 
The General

Robbie wrote:
Bartman wrote:
drummers almost always play harder/louder during tracking than the soundcheck.

As far I'm concerned, you can leave out the "almost"...

Realising this is the case, I thought I was absolutely sure I could handle the drummers loudest bang.

I could not. :?

Robbie,

A few solutions for this:

- compress during tracking (downside is that you can't "undo" this)

- use a pad, either on an external preamp, on the mic or by way of an in-line attenuator. I have a -30 db pad I sometimes use on the kick or snare. I use it so I can max out my Vintech pre (it sounds great on snare & kick when it is pushed), yet still track at conservative levels.

Gary