The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:54 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:01 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Hello Anndra. I was starting to think that you'd fallen off the edge of the earth (and hoping you didn't). How's life?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 4:45 am 
Forum Poet

Favourite food: fresh
just pondered why it's good to have a dutchman at the helm.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:03 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
I have only been here a short while and discovered the site before i bought my G because i needed information to repair it. I did find a lot more than just repair info. I have been getting good advice that is hard to find and even the odd pat on the shoulder from some of you guys. You have no idea how important this positive attidude you are spreading is. If i ever get to the point that i can mix a reasonable cd that will be because of this forum. Of course first i'll have to learn to play an instrument.... :D

Whatever you do, please keep it up.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:02 am 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
WHAT YEAR IS IT? WHO IS THE PRESIDENT? WHERE AM I? AAARRGH! :)

I've been offline for what seems, to me, an eternity. I am pleased to find that this place is still running! I see lots of new work by members to catch up on (one of my fave things about this place). I hope to post up some of the stuff we have managed to record to get some intelligent input. Playing stuff to your mates down the pub sometimes lacks a certain something: "that totally sucks" isn't all that helpful sometimes!

All the best to everyone,

CDA.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:26 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Welcome back CDA. We missed you. Your absence was more than a year.

It is now 2010. :)

Good to see you!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Oct 06, 2010 1:54 am 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Great to see you back CDA. I remember listening to your songs in the past, and I really liked them a lot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:12 am 
Wrangler

Robbie wrote:
Welcome back CDA. We missed you. Your absence was more than a year.

It is now 2010. :)

Good to see you!

Thanks Robbie! 2010? Already? But it seems I only just moved into my new place! Blimmeny! Time does indeed fly.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 10:17 am 
Wrangler

utah wrote:
Great to see you back CDA. I remember listening to your songs in the past, and I really liked them a lot.

Thanks utah! :D

Hope to post some more tracks up, as I said, but between illnesses (including me going almost completely deaf due to an infection, and not knowing if I was going to get my hearing back or not - a tad disconcerting to say the least), family dramas, and me having to move, we've not done much.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 12:55 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Illnesses and family dramas suck.

Having to move does not necessarily need to suck - depends on the "why".

I hope things will get better for you soon. See the positive side of it: catching lyrics with a message?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 4:41 pm 
Wrangler

Cheers Robbie.

It was too expensive where I lived. And old and damp - no good for my health issues. It cost a lot to heat. Just after I left, they put the rent up to £630 a month. 990 dollars, according to Google. This new place is under half of that, and a new build, but out of town. It was kind of OK at the last place for a while, but it was an old Victorian building and the damp was terrible - constant battle with mold. When I moved my gear out and I had a look at it, the backs of things, where they were near to, or resting against, the walls were covered in mold! My g is dirty and messed up anyway, but it had mold all down the sides! It was the same for my two rack synths and old sequencers.

Lyrics with a message...some of our songs have messages. The problem is no one seems to understand them because we're no good at getting the messages across! :)

PostPosted: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:58 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I'm glad you found a better place to live. Now push that record button. :)

BTW 990 dollars per month is a normal price for a small dutch house with three 10 x 10 ft bedrooms. Dutch house prices are high. It doesn't matter if you rent or buy.

Some time ago I asked our american friends for website addresses where you can find american houses for sale. I know what my house is worth in euro's, I converted that to dollars and started searching. I was shocked by the little palaces you can buy for that money in America, and even more by the multitude of square meters of land. For the money, I could buy a house that is four times the size of my house on a land that is 100 times the size of my "land". And 100 is not exaggerated. The only thing is, I'd have to move to the States...

When I left my parents house I rented a small apartment. I was still studying. All of a sudden some walls got wet and moldy. Turned out that water pipes going to the neighbours above me started leaking. Wall paper and carpet were destroyed. I'm glad my parents talked me into taking insurance for that earlier. They paid for it.

I hope the cleaner athmosphere will help you get your health back.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 2:17 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Quote:
I'd have to move to the States...
:) :) :)

Rob, you know the USA contingent is waiting for you with open arms...Math teachers are hard to come by 'round my neck of the woods...

...never mind, I forgot how bad our cheese is...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:35 am 
Footswitch Genius

Favourite food: Jarlsberg
Quote:
BTW 990 dollars per month is a normal price for a small dutch house with three 10 x 10 ft bedrooms. Dutch house prices are high. It doesn't matter if you rent or buy.

hmm the last time i checked, an average rental here in West Aus was bordering on about $500 per week. if Dutch prices are high, what are ours? extortionate, that's what

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 12:29 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

That is a lot of money. On the other hand, can average dutch houses and average australian houses be compared? And besides, how much land is there around an average australian house?

One of the most important reasons why american properties are so much bigger is the fact that there's around 15 times more America per American than there is Holland per Dutchman. Obviously America has its inhabitable zones, but Holland has those, too.

I checked this for Australia. Holland and Australia roughly have the same number of inhabitants (NL: 17 million, AUS: 21 million) but Australia is 200 times as big... :shock:

And another thing, does that average mean you can't rent a house much cheaper? In Holland, those prices are pretty close together, but I can imagine Australia having much more spread prices. So, the question is: if your lease budget is around 1000 american dollars per month (800 euro's, and the australian dollar and american dollar are less than 1% apart), equals 250 dollars per week, can you rent a house?

In Holland, over the last 30 years the prices have been multiplied by around 6 or 7.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 3:54 pm 
No More Coasters!

Canada is a huge country, but with only 33 million people our population density is very low. It's 3.3 people per square kilometer. Another interesting fact about Canada. 4/5th of Canada's population lives within 93 miles of the US border which stretches from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:00 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

utah wrote:
4/5th of Canada's population lives within 93 miles of the US border which stretches from the Pacific Ocean to the Atlantic.

Is that for economic reasons? Are many Canadians working across the border?

utah wrote:
It's 3.3 people per square kilometer.

Netherlands: 400 ppsk
USA: 32 ppsqk
Australia: 2.7 ppsk

Just to make a comparison. And I leave out that an average dutchman needs a lot more space, given the average dutch waist line :lol:

In fact it doesn't say that much when you look at living space. You may as well live in a very dense area. But it does directly influence the price per square meter when you buy land. On one of the websites I found a property of 262.000 square meters for 550.000 dollars. That is around € 1,60 per square meter. If you're buying square meters in Holland for building, you pay around € 500,- per square meter. My land alone is worth € 100.000 euro's, and it is around 200 square meters = 2000 sqft. Geno's HOUSE is 2000 sqft! :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 9:22 pm 
No More Coasters!

There are probably a few reasons why so many Canadians live near the US border. Economics is certainly a reason why, as the US is Canada's largest trading partner. But, it's not because many Canadians cross the border to go to work in the US each day. Some might, but they would be few in number.

There are some historical reasons. Long stretches of the border are actually through major waterways like the Great Lakes, or the St. Lawrence Seaway. So, you have Canada on one side of the waterway and the US on the other. Because in the early days, these waterways were the 'highways' for goods and services....populations and settlements grew on each side.

There's also the climate reasons. Simply put...the further North you go, the colder it gets. So, we tend to congregate along the 'warmest' regions along Canada's southern borders. Of course warmest only means warmer than up North. It's still damn cold in winter, no matter where you live in Canada ( with the possible exception of places like Vancouver that enjoy milder winters ).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:11 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
utah wrote:
There are probably a few reasons why so many Canadians live near the US border. Economics is certainly a reason why, as the US is Canada's largest trading partner. But, it's not because many Canadians cross the border to go to work in the US each day. Some might, but they would be few in number.

There are some historical reasons. Long stretches of the border are actually through major waterways like the Great Lakes, or the St. Lawrence Seaway. So, you have Canada on one side of the waterway and the US on the other. Because in the early days, these waterways were the 'highways' for goods and services....populations and settlements grew on each side.

There's also the climate reasons. Simply put...the further North you go, the colder it gets. So, we tend to congregate along the 'warmest' regions along Canada's southern borders. Of course warmest only means warmer than up North. It's still damn cold in winter, no matter where you live in Canada ( with the possible exception of places like Vancouver that enjoy milder winters ).

Cold is good - for me anyway. I live near the Great Lakes. these bodies of water moderate the climate and create huge snowfalls at times. The snow sometimes is delivered horizontally, rather than vertically, what with the wind coming in off the lake. Snow can mean "snow days" a concept familiar to all canadians, but especially sweet for students who will get up very early to check the radio for cancelled school busses and closed schools.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:13 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

That makes sense. Like cities growing where there are roads, railways, waterways.

I have a cousin in Canada. I only saw him once in my life. He told me it's impossible to start the car when you leave it outside in winter. Brrrr. Makes me wonder why he left Holland in the first place... oh yeah... taxes. :)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 26, 2010 10:14 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

The "that makes sense" was directed at Utah. Not that your post doesn't make any sense, Byron :lol:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 76 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next