The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:56 am 
The Reverend

Favourite food: cheddar-lol
Machine type: AW16G
...regarding Dijonstock...

Tell us Rob...how did it all get started, you being the proud papa? ...Seriously :)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:07 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I was an IT teacher at the time, so I was obviously supposed to be a techie. Searching for information on the AW16G I found aw16g.com and registered. After a year or so that forum started malfunctioning. The owner wasn't there for maintenance.

DCinFrance arranged a meeting in Dijon which we gracefully baptised DijonStock (a Woodstock alternative). So I registered dijonstock.com to be able to upload pics and movie clips.

I felt I should be able to also install a forum like the aw16g.com site, and I more or less copied the structure. I didn't tell anyone except for MicEater. When aw16g.com went down Pete Young was the first to provide a safe haven, some kind of html based one-dimensional forum. Then, I decided to tell other about the forum on DijonStock.com. That was on June 19, 2004. Most of the oldies also registered here, but a lot of things changed. On the old forum, there was no moderation or administration. It was only like an empty bar. On this site, there was administration and moderation and not everyone was equally happy about that. So it took about three years for the "dijonstock culture" to settle. Many people left and I regret that of most of them. But in the meantime, new friends arrived and fit in seamlessly with the established culture.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Last edited by Robbie on Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
typo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 4:45 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
And we thank you Uncle Robbie.

I remember my journey as well. After I heard about digital recording devices, I thought it would be a grand idea to switch from my Tascam 388 R2R 8 track to the new Tascam 788 digital 8 track. I bought one since I had been with either the parent company Teac or Tascam always. After using the 788 a while, I really couldn't wrap my head around the effects and I wasn't thrilled with the unit as a hole. Accidentally I fell into some information about this new 16 track recorder Yamaha was putting out there. I went to my local Yammie dealer and got a flyer on the AW16G. I was amazed that I could possibly own a 16 track recorder. Wow 16 tracks was what you found in real recording studios. I was stunned.

So I dug around the net until I fell into AW16G.com. Dinsdale was the owner of the site, but I think it was hiding somewhere on one of his work servers. I'll bet Robbie has my very first post where I introduced myself. I couldn't wait to afford a G, but finding the site was a nice comfort. I sold my 788 on ebay and saved until I finally bought my G. The rest as Robbie explained it is history.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:22 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I found aw16g.com shortly after buying my G. My initial impression of that forum, was that it was a bit hard on newbies. Lots of 'use the search function' replies, to newbies who posted questions that had been asked before. Not that the forum wasn't friendly or welcoming. It was. As Robbie said, being un-monitored and without an active admin, it was kind of like the Wild West. Still, it was fun and friendly enough that it spawned the Dijonstock get together.

The Weekend of the Dijonstock get together, Robbie streamed some live audio to the web, via dijonstock.com I tuned into that, one night when the guys were interviewing each other. DC in France, interviewing Pete Young. That type of thing. Via the dijonstock forum, I posted a question....which DC read out to Pete ( or something to that effect ).

Anyways....sometime later the aw16g.com forum went silent. I popped into the dijonstock forum to see if any of the 16g.com forum guys were there. There were, and I've been posting here since.

At least that's how I remember things happening.

Pete Young's forum, was for Radio G. Radio G was a cool idea. An internet radio station populated only with songs produced on the G, by those of us that had posted at aw16g.com and dijonstock.com Pete had a Radio G forum. I continued to post there till the end, but it was getting pretty quiet....with not many active members. Then one day, it was shut down.

dijonstock.com continues to thrive though, and it seems that the used G / 1600 market, continues to bring newbies to the site....which is great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 6:57 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Yes, Pete had a phpBB forum after that. It was not the same as the first that I mentioned. What was the name of that forum again? I did visit it every once in a while and left a few messages.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 7:22 pm 
No More Coasters!

The Radio G forum, is the only one I clearly remember Pete operating, although I vaguely recall the one you're mentioning.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:43 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

With thousands of brain neurons disappearing each day, it's a bit hard to remember back that far. :)

I bought my AW16G in Nov, 2003 (according to my website, not my memory). I registered for this site on Dec, 2004 (again, according to this site, not my memory). I was surprised it wasn't early than that, as I moved from SoCal in Jan, 2005 (I think). It just seems I knew about this site well before I moved. Oh well. Don't remember how I found out about Dijonstock.com. I think maybe "bassoprofundo" clued me in.

I vaguely remember AW16G.com and some user names from there that are also here. That site can't compare with this one!

I think I had a song or two on Radio G, also.

Thanks Robbie,

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:38 pm 
Marker Magician

By the time I found this site, I was almost understanding the manual. I had suffered through the learning curve alone. Actually it was exciting and fulfilling to be learning new skills. I actually entered the recording world through my desire to understand what was involved with mastering, as I made two track recordings of choirs and wished to boost volumes, shape EQ etc. I lurked around here for some time before actually posting. I had rented a G on two occasions and forced myself to learn, but refrained from buying because of my perception that only 2 xlr with phantom would be a handicap. With the gear I have since acquired to deal with the weak pre amps, I realize now I could have jumped in earlier with no probs, but .... without all you folks to advise me, I was flying solo. When the 1600 came out - I bought that.

I don't know how i missed this site at first because i recall looking for info, but after owning the machine for some time I did a random google search and dijonstock was at the top of the list. been here ever since. By that time though I could actually understand most of the instructional posts.

I am glad robbie (and others) had the persistence to keep the site alive. I have enjoyed making acquaintances here, such as they are in the cyberworld.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:57 pm 
Spacemonkey & Superstar

Favourite food: Marmite/beans/toast
Robbie is a star.

I too started with the G back at Dinsdale's site - it was the hip hop dude that pointed me in this direction -

Back "in the day" my first post was replied to by Lysdexia who was nearly kind...

I later met the Lys man at Glasgow airport (long story) and at DCinfrance's Nicestock (also met the unflappable Robbie at that time - he was... well - a bit scary but a lovely guy :-) )- others were also there and what with me being something of "an antisocial bastard" (by the way I asked my wife how best to describe me on that one) it really has been emotional...

Special place this -

Thanks again Robbie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2010 11:55 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

You're all most welcome. This community has become part of my life.

I have to confess that it has not always been a smooth ride, where more often than not I didn't give the right example in terms of being a grownup. I have to give a big thank you to both Bob Keelan and John JM, for their infinite patience, friendship, support, and wisdom to put things in perspective when I couldn't do it on my own. I owe these two great gentlemen for making me a somewhat better person.

THANK YOU, Bob and John. You are great teachers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 12:28 am 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Interessting read this is. I'm not a member of the old days and because it is not long ago i remember very well how i discovered the site. I actually didn't.

I went out to buy a guitar on Januari 8 2008. I did this together with one of my neighbours. We were talking about music and he said 'lets get some people together and learn to play guitar'. So we went to Germany on that day to the musicstore. We got together every wednesday evening to practice and although we were six at the time only the two of us kept at it. In October i decided that i wanted to record some of the stuff we had been doing for fun but i wanted to keep it cheap so i found a broken AW16G in Australia and had it send over. I paid 75$ totall. The guy i bought it from pointed me towards the website and there i found the first info on how to fix the thing. I got a harddisk from a used laptop and after some evenings of searching i saw the little green lights coming up and the Yammie logo on the display. Being able to fix that thing was a real thrill. I joined the website on Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:20 pm. Later Robbie asked me if i was interested in becoming a moderator. (on Wed Oct 28, 2009 10:16 pm ) To this day that still surprises me but i'm glad he did. I'm not very active at the moment but i feel pretty much at home here. I hope i will be able to post some good stuff in the future.

I owe Robbie one for this place as do i to the good people that have been advising me on occasion...

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:01 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Hi gents,

my first home recording trials started in the mid 70s with my dads Telefunken audio tape and a Dynacord tapeecho with 2 cheap warehouse micorphones. I already have this recordings!

In 2005 I started again with a Korg PX4R, then Boss BR600 and get some not so bad results and a lot of fun with recording but felt limited by the machines. After a lot of search I decided to buy a AW1600 in Jan 2008.

Never forget that the weekend before I bought the machine I downloaded the manual and read a lot of this machine. The manual was not clear for me in some points (possible using the AW as a live mixer?). So I did a google search and found this forum. After some hours of reading here I learned a lot but again I was not sure about some things. So I did the registration procedure and did my first post at the 8. Jan 2008. Got an very helpful answer from Robbie 40 minutes later and a friendly welcome from other members here. The thread ended with .... some drivel , but noone used the C-word :lol:

Felt home here soon and made myself a virtual home with all the friendly guys here and my recording skills grow. Noone blamed me because my english is really not the best. Some month later I sold my AW1600 ......................... to buy the AW2400, love the moving faders.

One of the highlights of my home recording moments was, when the great Geno offered me to do a contribution to one of my recordings and we got it together.

I become the host of HamelnStock I, where I met the wonderful guy named Robbie and we had a wonderful weekend with some music, talking and a lot of cheese. At HamelnStock II we enjoyed to met the whole family van Aperen with his amazimg wife and his 2 wonderful daughters and my friend Dirk (fordirk) from Belgium. We had some more music, a lot more cheese, a hard work done to feed the Robbies :wink: .

It was a honour for me, when Robbie asked me to be a member of the mod-team, a function that is a joy to do because of the great people here that helped to do this job is so easy.

Because of my programmers skills Robbie asked me to be an admin here 2 weeks ago, because of the sad loss the world suffered with Geno´s passing. I felt that noone can replace Geno here really, but it is important to have always a second admin in case of Robbie being absent for holidays and other reasons and there is some work with the board to do. Because of this I will try to learn to understand and to operate with the BBS. Robbie is doing all the work to keep this board working and I hope I will never be in the situation to do some rescue for the BBS. But if this case will happen, I hope to be able to do my very best for you. #-o

Hope to meet some more of you in real life (HS III will happen for sure!)
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 3:34 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Blackbeer wrote:
So I did the registration procedure and did my first post at the 8. Jan 2008.

You did your first post on the same day as i bought my first guitar and both occured in Germany. It must be destiny :wink:

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble