The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:19 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:22 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Cheese
Right, hopefully someone here will be able to help me - i don't fully understand the difference between "high/low signal level" and "balanced/unbalanced signal." I'm not sure but that may be what is confusing me. Anyway, my situation is this, I'm looking to record an active bass (warwick corvette $$ 5string) and have a number of guitar/bass fx pedals in my chain. Now, I'm not entirely sure whether a DI box is necessary, or whether I could just split the signal at various points in the chain (pre and post fx) and plug it into inputs on my aw1600. To help matters (or not) I have a couple of boss ls-2 line selector pedals, which can be used as line splitters, but my knowledge of this stuff leaves me wondering whether the outputs of these will be the same impedance as the bass I use, or whether they will be always, say, hi-z, and if this might be an issue.

Also, can you get away with using a bass distortion as some kind of pre-amp, and add the amp modeling on the aw1600 afterwards?

Also also, is it usually OK to run these sort of guitar/bass effects pedals as external send/return units once you have done your basic recording, or is there an issue with giving them a balanced/unbalanced signal? (Or one with the wrong impedance?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:04 pm 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
Machine type: AW16G
hmm im no expert on this but it sounds like familiar to me.

and i was told to just try it and listen.
but obviously, you dont want shit blowing up in your face.
so wear goggles :D

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:25 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Machine type: AW1600
A simplified explanation:

A pickup in a guitar without a battery is a "low-level" signal with a hi-Z (Z=impedance) output. A hi-Z output doesn't have enough "umph" to drive an input meant for lo-Z devices.

A pickup that uses a battery or a preamp output is "high-level" (or "line level") and lo-Z. Lo-Z outputs can be connected to either hi-Z or lo-Z inputs.

An unbalanced output/input uses on 2 wires; signal and ground. A balanced output/input uses 3 wires; 2 signal and ground. Balanced is what comes out of mics and some preamps. It is less susceptible to noise pickup with a long cable.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:27 pm 
Dude

So, if I understand this correctly, it should (theoretically) be fine to run into the aw1600's hi-z input, either from an active or a passive bass, with or without pedals in line between the instrument and this input, right? Provided I am wearing appropriate protective clothing.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:02 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Correct. You don't even need the protective clothing. But, safety first. It's all fun and games until someone loses an eye!

Byron

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:40 pm 
Dude

Good-oh. What about plugging an unbalanced 1/4inch into one of the other (combi) inputs on the aw1600? Is that a general nono?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:21 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,

gotBASS? wrote:
Good-oh. What about plugging an unbalanced 1/4inch into one of the other (combi) inputs on the aw1600? Is that a general nono?

This is not a problem and it works perfect for me!
No danger at all for your eqipment!
Andreas