The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:25 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:45 am 
Dude

I came upon one of those "can't pass up" deals today and got a brand spankin' new Line 6 Bass POD xt for $150.

Do any of you use this gear to record bass with?

What patches, tweaks, hints can you give to me?

I am a guitarist that is forced to play bass on my demos.

Thank you!

Jeff
Tupelo, MS

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 6:31 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
A really good friend once told me , "Geno you play bass like a guitar player instead of a bass player". Once I began playing with good drummers , I began to realize he was right. You gotta lock in with the percussion.

I don't use pods but when I do actually play a bass it is direct recorded into the high z. Sometimes I'll run it through a pre then to a lo-z input. There are other times I'll mic a cabinet. When I get real fustrated in how it all sounds , then I just find a good synth bass patch and let the fingers or feet do the walking.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 7:13 am 
preset ho

Hi Jeff, I use the Bass Pod XT Pro - the best tool for recording bass out there I think.

You'll struggle to get a poor sound from it as it's so easy to use. Play with it - run your guitar through it, vocals, synths - it's a superb audio manipulation tool for all of those and more.

The Uni-Vibe fx is a very strong favourite of mine along with the Eden amp model and the Ampeg 8 x 10 cab. The SWR 1 x 15 is awesome - a word I try my damnedest never to use. :wink:

Make sure your bass connections and controls are all clean and clear - or the faults will be faithfully recorded - then plug and play. It's that simple. I regularly find the biggest difficulty is choosing a sound to go with!

My answer to that would be to record two tracks simultaneously. One of those being 'dry' and this can then be fed back into the pod and you can run your track over and over trying out different bass sounds until you find the perfect match.

Recently I've been using NI's Guitar Rig 2 as well which is great for guitars, but with bass it's, well, lets just say that it's not a Line6 Bass POD 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:52 pm 
The General

Lysdexia wrote:
Hi Jeff, I use the Bass Pod XT Pro - the best tool for recording bass out there I think.

You'll struggle to get a poor sound from it as it's so easy to use. Play with it - run your guitar through it, vocals, synths - it's a superb audio manipulation tool for all of those and more.

The Uni-Vibe fx is a very strong favourite of mine along with the Eden amp model and the Ampeg 8 x 10 cab. The SWR 1 x 15 is awesome - a word I try my damnedest never to use. :wink:

Make sure your bass connections and controls are all clean and clear - or the faults will be faithfully recorded - then plug and play. It's that simple. I regularly find the biggest difficulty is choosing a sound to go with!

My answer to that would be to record two tracks simultaneously. One of those being 'dry' and this can then be fed back into the pod and you can run your track over and over trying out different bass sounds until you find the perfect match.

Recently I've been using NI's Guitar Rig 2 as well which is great for guitars, but with bass it's, well, lets just say that it's not a Line6 Bass POD 8)

Hello Jeff,

Disclaimer: I am also a guitar player who attempts to play bass.

My advice is basically what Lys said. I have the BassPodxT and use it from time to time. The presets are great. The only things I tend to tweak are the output to get the level I want and maybe roll off a little of the low end.

Also agree about Guitar Rigs bass sounds....they are "so so".

Now if you want to use a great VSTi, Amplitube's - Ampeg SVX plugin is excellent.

Amplitube2 and Amplitube Jimi Hendrix are pretty much amazing for guitar.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:18 pm 
Professor Emeritus of BovineCompostology

Machine type: AW16G
Well, I have a Line6 Low Down 150 bass amp with a direct out and it records rather nicely. I find my POD 2.0 for guitar can be noisy at times but the low down is quiet and the presets are about all I need.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:34 am 
Tenderfoot

Machine type: AW2400
I have a Bass Pod xt and it is the business for recorded bass. The presets are great and do not need a lot of tweaking to get a great recorded sound (with tons of oomph as it is already compressed and effected). The tuner is very accurate. I use a Fender rack tuner for guitar but the pod gives a better result for bass.

I too am a guitar player who seconds on bass of necessity and MSG hit it right on the head. Put the bass drum track down first and use the bass guitar with it. In days of old, the done thing was to put the bass through a gate and key the gate from the bass drum. Haven't quite figured how to do that on the G but I am doing it quite nicely manually ( which I think proves I have have progressed as a bass player).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 3:22 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

guitarman wrote:
In days of old, the done thing was to put the bass through a gate and key the gate from the bass drum. Haven't quite figured how to do that on the G...

Who is Kevin Source?

Ah, jokes from the old forum. If you set up the gate on your bass channel and go into the dynamics edit screen, you'll see a parameter that looks like Kevin Source (who is he again?). It's really keyin source, and allows you to choose a different track to trigger the gate. Set it to the kick drum track.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:11 pm 
The other man !!!

JM wrote:
guitarman wrote:
In days of old, the done thing was to put the bass through a gate and key the gate from the bass drum. Haven't quite figured how to do that on the G...

Who is Kevin Source?

Ah, jokes from the old forum. If you set up the gate on your bass channel and go into the dynamics edit screen, you'll see a parameter that looks like Kevin Source (who is he again?). It's really keyin source, and allows you to choose a different track to trigger the gate. Set it to the kick drum track.

Get out! On the G? What where how?!!

How could I have missed this?

Why am I always at work when I hear about stuff like this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:14 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Painter wrote:

You work too much. :P

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:23 pm 
The other man !!!

Robbie wrote:
Painter wrote:

You work too much. :P

HAHAHAHA!!! And for too little pay, I might add. :x :P :x :P :x :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:02 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Join the club.

We need a "too little paid" section!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:18 pm 
Poco fan

Robbie wrote:
Join the club.

We need a "too little paid" section!

May I join??

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:42 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Of course Basso, my friend, my brother in fate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 10:48 pm 
Forum Poet

Favourite food: fresh
the pod is easy to use.

locking in with the kick drum is a technique to apply sometimes - not all the time.
the more important thing for a guitar player playing bass is to realize is that bass is a guitar as well as a bit of a percussion instrument in that it can be used to create rhythm. so your attack has to be full and even - whether you use a pick or fingers or slap. each note as loud and full as the other.