The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:22 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:43 am 
Lone Star

What way do you get the best out of the Pod when recording into AW16G:

1. Pod directly into AW16G via xlr cable
2. Pod diectly into AW16G via 1/4 cable
3. Pod into my amp return, amp line out into AW16G.

I did a quick recording today, pod directly into AW16G via xlr, I thought this way would give me the best sound from the pod
but I wasn't overly impressed.

Any tips folks.

Cheers

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 3:05 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
I know it's not what you want to hear, but you should try all three and decide for yourself. Only you know what sounds best to you.

Having said that, be prepared that the best sound might still not leave you overly impressed. There's a good reason that, even with the plethora of direct amp simulation options available, people still go through the hassle of sticking a mic in front of an amp.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 5:03 am 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
I use a pod. I've never felt like I get good sounds. I go 1/4 out to an external mixer and into the recorder. I use the mixer with a couple of other instruments to have everything always connected to the inputs. A lot of it has to do with the pods sounds. I've tried loading some custom sounds from the website but I've not tried making my own. It's really a lot of trial and error.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 4:47 pm 
Marker Magician

Retuned wrote:
What way do you get the best out of the Pod when recording into AW16G:

1. Pod directly into AW16G via xlr cable
2. Pod diectly into AW16G via 1/4 cable
3. Pod into my amp return, amp line out into AW16G.

I did a quick recording today, pod directly into AW16G via xlr, I thought this way would give me the best sound from the pod
but I wasn't overly impressed.

Any tips folks.

Cheers

It is important to appreciate the gain staging you create when you chain gear together. A good (strong) signal on the G might be the amplification of a wimpy signal from the gear ahead of it in the signal chain. You need to make the pod push out the signal you desire, and then capture that on the G, using only enough "G" gain to have it sit strongly,but leaving some headroom for the mix.

Do not forget that, should your pod put out a strong signal that you find hard to control on the G, the solution is not usually to turn down the (upstream) Pod so the G can handle it. Rather, using the View Screen for the individual input into which your Pod is connected, use the little dial shown at the head of the chain to (digitally) reduce (control) the input level as it enters the G. This same dial is also available on the EQ screen, designed to help you deal with boosts you may create as you do EQ work (downstream in that case).

Jm's advice to Mic an amp is right on. It is hard to predict how an input will sound as it is created/manipulated through a Pod. whereas you hear what an amp delivers and the challenge is then to capture that directly, sometime along with capture of ambient sounds within the recording environment using mics placed within the room

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2015 7:53 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
I use a POD XT Pro, and a POD Bass Pod, and I connect both directly using 1/4 unbalanced cables.

Works for me.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:53 am 
Marker Magician

Didn't mean to imply pods don't work as well as other methods, or one is better than the other. I was just commenting upon the importance of gain staging and also agreeing with JM regarding micing up an amp in search of the sound desired.