The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Thu Apr 19, 2018 7:47 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: bass DI or bass amp?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:23 am 
Greenhorn

hey guys,

need some advice on bass guitar recording. I have been using an ibanez bass going straight into my FMR really nice preamp then to my Arts Pro VLA II compressor, then into my Aw16G..

Now, first off when I come out of my compressor into the AW, should I go into input 8 Hi-Z, or is that Hi-Z already achieved with the preamp? I have been just going into input 1 XLR??? Any suggestions?

Second, I really REALLY want to get a thick ROUND tubey powerful bass tone..its not that i'm getting crappy tone, but I want better..Is it better to go out and buy a decent bass amp, one that its great for recording and has a direct out option and go from the direct out to the preamp to the compressor to the recorder?..or is it best to avoid bass amps for recording applications? If an amp is a great idea, then PLEASE tell me what amps are good for hard rock music and recording..

Thanks a ton guys!!

Post subject: Re: bass DI or bass amp?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 6:10 am 
Former Computer Geek

Favourite food: Pizza, E.Coast plz!!
Machine type: AW1600
I like DI personally, cleaner canvas to work with. You can pull up EQ in the 60 range to nasty it up. I usually pull that out to clean it up..LOL

-= Beer

I LOVE THIS!!! Ted Stevens, 82-year-old US Senator from Alaska and chairman of the Senate Committee on Science, Commerce and Transportation, for explaining in a speech how the Internet actually works: “It’s a series of tubes.”

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:28 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,

doing it exactly like Beer said. Miking an Bass amp needs an really good sound, an really good bass mic and a lot of knowledge about micing technique IMHO. DI-ing is so much easier and the result are more than good enough for me.

Andreas

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:07 am 
Review Guru

Favourite food: Vegetable Lasagne
Machine type: AW16G
Agreed with Beer and Black.
I just got done with an ssortment of rock tunes, all DI'd, all meaty and tender.
I plan on running the bass track out to ART tube-pre and back into another open track, maybe see if I can get it more fatty.
An amp isn't a bad idea, you could mix signals, having the mic at a considerable distance from the bass cab for that 'roundedness' from depth.

Ibanez are good basses. I have an SG, dark blue. 300$ new.
SG must mean :sounds great" because The pickups translate extremely well

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 5:19 pm 
Greenhorn

oh ok..can anyone tell me if the Line 6 bass POD XT pro is worth buying??..for direct recording..i want more of a rig sound and i know there is a ton of different ones on that thing, but it does cost 850 dollars.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:21 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
850??? Must be a lot cheaper.

I sometimes use a X3 bone for guitar. Tried some recordings with the bass amp sims build in there (the same as in the bass xt) but dont like them with my 7ender Jazz Bass. Overproduced and not god sounding. I get better result with dying my bass or use a my ART MPA Gold preamp to warmth the sound.

Andreas

Post subject: bass DI or bass amp?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:51 pm 
The General

NewGuY2 wrote:
oh ok..can anyone tell me if the Line 6 bass POD XT pro is worth buying??..for direct recording..i want more of a rig sound and i know there is a ton of different ones on that thing, but it does cost 850 dollars.

I have the Bass Pod XT, not the Pro version. IMHO, the device sounds great with headphones and actually very good in front of a bass amp. For whatever reason, I can't get those good sounds to translate to a recording. It loses something in the process. Maybe it is me.

The best bass sound I've achieved has been DI recorded through one of my preamps, leaving myself lots of headroom so I can play the instrument aggressively without worrying about overs......the additional headroom also comes in handy if I want to add effects during the mix process, stuff like an octaver, EQ, compression or even a little distortion.

The real trick with a good bass sound is getting it to sit right in the mix. Not so hard to get what you think is a great stand alone "bedroom bassist" tone.....total different story getting a tone that you can easily drop into a mix.

Gary

PostPosted: Sun Sep 20, 2009 1:50 am 
Dude

Bartman wrote:
NewGuY2 wrote:

I have the Bass Pod XT, not the Pro version. IMHO, the device sounds great with headphones and actually very good in front of a bass amp. For whatever reason, I can't get those good sounds to translate to a recording. It loses something in the process. Maybe it is me.

The best bass sound I've achieved has been DI recorded through one of my preamps, leaving myself lots of headroom so I can play the instrument aggressively without worrying about overs......the additional headroom also comes in handy if I want to add effects during the mix process, stuff like an octaver, EQ, compression or even a little distortion.

The real trick with a good bass sound is getting it to sit right in the mix. Not so hard to get what you think is a great stand alone "bedroom bassist" tone.....total different story getting a tone that you can easily drop into a mix.

Gary

I think it depends on the music, the bass, the potential signal chain and the bass player but.....the day I tosed an sm57 on a trace elliot bass amp was the best day I had in a while after struggling with direct for some time. Now I run a mic and a direct line...blend to taste or use the appropriate sound.