The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 8:03 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:20 am 
City Slicker

After stumbling and bumbling around a bit, I think I finally "discovered" how to get reverb "from the 1600" into the cans without recording it.

I've found, using my 2816, that most vocalists I work with like reverb in the cans. We all realize that it's better to add the reverb when mixing.

After I ran some tests with reverb in the cans, I found that "whatever" I was doing was wrong. I kept getting the reverb on the recording too! So, after some reading and probably pure luck, here is what I did to put reverb in the cans and NOT record it on the vocal take:

1. Select and call up a reverb patch from the reverb menu.

2. Go to "VIEW" and click down the left menu to "CH VIEW."

3. Go to the right side of the screen and click on the small dial next to "EFF1" and click it; then use the jog wheel to turn up the wetness of the selected reverb. VOILA! Now you will get reverb in the cans BUT it will not record.[Of course you can use EFF 2 also the same way.]

I don't know if there is a different way to get the reverb in the cans and NOT have it record on the vocal or whatever takes!

Lixiviation :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:27 am 
Tinhorn

I won't pretend I'm good at this. because I'm not. but until someone who knows it good comes along, here's a little something.

near as I can tell, there are 2 ways to put effects into your signal path chain.

insert mode.
or
send/return mode.

(to my limited intelligence, there is a terminology screw up right off the bat here. "effects" are also referred to as "insert effects"...............but, then insert is used as a verb (as in insert mode for putting the "effects" into the signal chain). in my opinion, very poor wording to explain what should be a simple thing.)

someone else will be along to give you more help. all I can say else before wee willie winkie makes his nightly visit is that there's something about if you put effects in the input channels when recording, they're there permanently. if you put effects in the track channels, they're not gonna be there permanently. (one important caveat....I don't know what happens upon mixing down to the stereo track or bouncing. maybe effects on tracks get recorded then.)

peace,
chas

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:28 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
Chas has got it. If you use effects as inserts on the input, they will be recorded with the track. If you use effects as sends, you will hear them, but they will not be recorded on the track. The difference between insert and send effects is discussed in the manual in the chapter on mixdown and bounce operations - "using the internal effects via send/return."

This distinction is important when submixing as well. When you use the "bounce" function it will only record effects you have inserted in your source tracks. You will hear effects used as sends, but they won't be recorded on the destination track. If you want to use effects as sends for a submix (if you want the same reverb on several tracks, for example), you should do your submix to the stereo track using the record:mix function and then move that stereo track to where you want it using edit:move.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:55 am 
City Slicker

Well guys/gals, I've been struggling with Reverb-in-cans but not recorded. Today, I got a call from a Yamaha Techie; unfortunately, I was recording and missed the call and, although he said he'd call back, I didn't hear from him. His message seemed clear but each time I tried one thing or the other, and recorded a couple of bars, I STILL GOT THE REVERB on the recording.

I'd like to ONLY HEAR the effects, especially on vocals, and ADD the reverb when I mixing. This is kind of driving me to an extra Martini each day that I cannot do the simple button pushes. I've had success about two times while testing but I really don't know why. It seems simple; thus, could somebody give me a simple, First, second, third, etc.?

I could manage this on my 2816; however, the gremlins have got me. Many thanks in advance.

Lixiviation

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:32 am 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Machine type: AW16G
JM wrote:
If you use effects as sends, you will hear them, but they will not be recorded on the track. The difference between insert and send effects is discussed in the manual in the chapter on mixdown and bounce operations - "using the internal effects via send/return."

Check out that section of the manual - it's actually laid out pretty clearly there.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:26 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
When you playback using effects as sends, the wetness of the effect will be there. But they are not permanently recorded to the track until you do a stereo mixdown. So, you can remove or edit the effect until you do your 2 track mix.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:48 pm 
City Slicker

8) Thanks for the additional input. I just finished talking to a Yam techie--super nice dude and he walked me through the process of 'reverb to the ear, but not the take.' The "KEY" to getting the job done is the toggle between the fader button which puts "track" in the upper left hand corner of the screen AND the upper button over the fader which puts "insert" into that corner--another day, another learning session. The techie was very patient with my slow take.

He also clued me in on the "Library" that comes up when you hold down the top button to adjust volume input. If you choose any program there, it will be recorded. There are some very nice choices for effects there. Another item learned.

I was surprised how fast Yamaha made contact. Now, if Yamaha could only write a unified and coherent type of manual.... :D
Lix

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 11:22 am 
Red Wax Eater

Favourite food: chinese
Machine type: AW1600
Lixiviation wrote:
8)

. Now, if Yamaha could only write a unified and coherent type of manual.... :D
Lix

A decent manual , now that would have been a christmas present. The problem with the manual it makes sense when you understand it !!!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:10 am 
City Slicker

Verily, when one understands, one need not read the manual.

However, it would help if Yamaha hired some high school English teachers to write their manuals, as other companies have done in the past.

Yamaha needs to rid itself of ambiguous connotations; some of the words they use, like "RELEASE" and then, "INSERT," are often in conflict. Whoever writes their manuals, have little or no understanding of "denotation and connotations." What words usually mean and the many meanings of words. But, then, I'm back in the college classroom teaching.

I just finished rearranging my keyboards on a new rack. I resurrected my DX7 for the top rack and put the other synth on the lower rack. Sweet. However, when I went to do the first recording on the DX7 in about 3 years, it was not in tune with the Motif. AHA! The fix was easy as the DX7 has color-coded patterns used to fix "things." Took me a few minutes to remember the "Master Tune" function and in less than 3 minutes, I had the DX in sync with the Motif. But, I must tell you, I was worried for a moment.

Happy New Year All

Lix :D