The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:34 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:50 am 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
Machine type: AW4416
Anybody using affordable LDC on your AW1600s? Rumor has it the 1600, although quality, needs a kick in the pants on the phantom I/O's, true? Would a $100 preamp be enough? Anyone using $200 dollar LDC like a MXL 992? just curious what people are using to get great studio vocals from a 1600. Last question; anybody using TCHelicon VoiceLive stompbox for vocal processing. Pretty magical live or programmed. i like DSP and harmonies on tap but I spose the TCHVL stomper is pricey for many folks. For those of you who are *not* using hardware vocal processing, are any of you using Powercore Harmony4 ?? I was hoping somebody on this planet who records on a Yammie 16g/1600/2400 or even a 2488 is using some of the aforementioned stuff to add frosting to their already great sounding voices ;;smiLe;;

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:05 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
I use the TC Helicon Voiceworks processor. It works pretty good and also has a good preamp built in. It has however only a single channel input.

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: duhh Harry
PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:03 pm 
Greenhorn

mrskygod wrote:
I use the TC Helicon Voiceworks processor. It works pretty good and also has a good preamp built in. It has however only a single channel input.

duhh Harry

you're buying a TCH VoiceLive which has a quality mic pre and even has S/PDIF so you can shoot your mic signal dry or wet directly into your Spike's S/PDIF and then route it to anywhere you want while remaining in the digital domain. how did i not see this?

thanks again MSG, my lightbulb was loose <<LOL>>

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 4:21 am 
Greenhorn

HappyHarryNET wrote:
Anybody using affordable LDC on your AW1600s? Rumor has it the 1600, although quality, needs a kick in the pants on the phantom I/O's, true? Would a $100 preamp be enough? Anyone using $200 dollar LDC like a MXL 992? just curious what people are using to get great studio vocals from a 1600. Last question; anybody using TCHelicon VoiceLive stompbox for vocal processing. Pretty magical live or programmed. i like DSP and harmonies on tap but I spose the TCHVL stomper is pricey for many folks. For those of you who are *not* using hardware vocal processing, are any of you using Powercore Harmony4 ?? I was hoping somebody on this planet who records on a Yammie 16g/1600/2400 or even a 2488 is using some of the aforementioned stuff to add frosting to their already great sounding voices ;;smiLe;;

//heh// well now i am enjoying recording using the TCHelicon VoiceLive stompbox SPDIF to the O1x along with the MOTIF XS on mLAN. when i 1st connected these toys i didnt have my lightpipe cables so i had to go balanced TRS //akkkkkkkk// all i can say is this is a sweet setup. and btw Tracktion 3 is a wonderful tool for, "music production" i know this time next year i'll be on a mac in LogicPro but for now i'm sitting pretty. Hope my own questions and [now] answers are helpful //smile//

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:03 am 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Sound samples ?

(edit) just checked my PM box.............. 8)

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: SOUND SAMPLES
PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2007 2:22 pm 
Greenhorn

mrskygod wrote:
Sound samples ?

(edit) just checked my PM box.............. 8)

well the MP3 files in my /demo folder are ditties just playing with the XS and TCHVL in my very first 2 or 3 hours after i got my O1x working.

needless to say, jacking this stuff via firewire and SPDIF provides much better sonic quality.

we're moving our RV rig to a new location so i had to pack up my toys.
soon as we land and get settled in i shall glue the studio back together
and record some much sweeter stuff to listen to.

for now i am trying to listen to over 4000 samples that i have both in the XS, Sampletank2 XL and some others. taking notes as i go, as to which pads i want to use for which songs, etc. this in itself is an undertaking. i spent nearly a week going through 700 samples so far.

i did feel real good about something. i took one of my original tracks that i recorded in Tracktion 3 (very easy to bring in old archives) and i thought i would set an IN/OUT marker for 2 seconds and loop it so i could try various plugs. well, it only truly needed a minor low shelf EQ and after making several adjustments, then doing the A/B thing, it was amazing that the audio sounded IDENTICAL. so it was impressive to me, that there was absolutely no need for post production EQ. the track did benefit from a compressor and chorus plugs; closest sound to TCH's VoiceDoubler w/o having one //grin//

also, by the time we get moved i should have the RODE set up. right now all i have is my Crown CM11 headmic which is okay to doodle with.

//cheers//