The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Jan 19, 2018 9:22 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:29 pm 
Greenhorn

Favourite food: cold milk
Machine type: AW4416
mrskygod wrote:
Harry I don't know if you are aware of the not too shabby preamp built into the Voiceworks machine. IMO it's as good or better than the Focusrite.
Why do I think so? I have it's big brother the Twin Tracks Pro. But.......
don't lose sight of the class A operation of the Voicemaster or it's intuitive optical compresser. It was my pre of choice until I went the medium price tube route. A good mic direct into the TC will yield great results without extending the signal chain all over your studio.

Just some half sober thoughts from an old man.

msg

MSG,

oh dont get me wrong, i have yet to let the VoiceWorks out of my site. The Focusrite Platinum caught my attention because you can do a lot of vocal shaping "going in" and i usually dont have to fiddle with much vocal post production (with the exception of perhaps backing tracks, choral builds, etc)

im not dropping my dimes until 2007 so there is still time for me to iron some of these details out before committing to something.

I am calling Yamaha on Monday to confirm my suspicions that the AW1600 and AW2400 in USB mode can only serve as "limited control surfaces" but i have a feeling an AW2400 with the MY16-mLAN will also provide the 8 channels of audio (per Yammie's 01x ver 1x spec and 16 channels per the 2x spec) but i will confirm this once and for all.

regardless, i will purchase a mic pre to buy pass mic pre's on whatever I/O i end of buying. thats funny, buy mic pre's to buypass built in mic pre's that boast as being so good. funny.

MSG, i was very impressed with sample demo's of the Focusrte and TC Helicon units. tough choices but i was partial to the additional modeling on the Focusrite. i shall review them closer now that I've heard your 2 cents, which by the way catches my attention long enough to matter whereas im 53 y/o building my recording studio to take to Heaven with me ;;grin;;