The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:59 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:06 am 
Tenderfoot

I bid $75 for a used one of these after reading recommendations on this board and on other web sites. I tested it out today and it recorded crisp and clear. I am finally starting to feel a little better about the sound of my recorded singing. :lol:

So now, what exactly do those 2 switches on the mic do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:56 am 
Guitar Ho

Machine type: Other - please inform admin
Just a guess before coffee, but one would probably be a roll off switch (rolls of low freqs to get rid of rumble), and the other would be either a pad (brings down the output by 10 dB), or would switch the pattern of the mic. You'll probably find a manual online for it if it didn't come with one.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:58 pm 
Boot Polisher

DC hit it on the head.

I have two 3035's. Good mic for some sources. A little harsh is the higher timbres but very quiet with little self noise.

Yamaha gave away one AT 3035 and one ATM33a free with the G.

A couple of weeks after buying my G and getting the free mics I bought a guitar and a keyboard from another shop and they threw in another set of the free AT mics to sweeten the already heavily discounted deal.

Amazing how these guys will fight tooth and nail for business when they know you are a serious buyer. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:20 pm 
Tenderfoot

Thanks for the explanation. I read somewhere that you need to use caution when using these to mic guitar amps and such that are loud. Is there a standard switch setting for those purposes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:21 pm 
The General

guitarmystic wrote:
I read somewhere that you need to use caution when using these to mic guitar amps and such that are loud. Is there a standard switch setting for those purposes?

Sam,

A few thoughts:

- Most mics come with specs that list SPL tolerances. If you are concerned about damaging the diaphragm of a condensor mic, refer to the documentation before you use it. Use an SPL meter at the mic placement point to know what you're dealing with.

- If you are within the mics SPL tolerance then just set your levels as you would normally. If the condenser is too hot and it has a pad switch, use it.

- While I've used condenser mics to close mic loud guitar cabinets, they tend to give me hotter levels than I like. For that reason, I mostly use dynamic mics for close miking a loud, distorted guitar cabinet. Clean, not so loud guitar sounds are a different story....condensors work very well for me in that situation.

- As long as you manage potential phase issues, try a dynamic on the speaker cone and a condensor as an ambient mic. I like the condensor 3 feet away and three feet off the ground if the cabinet is on the floor OR...if you really like the sound you hear in the room, place the condenser at your ear level and at your listening spot. Mix the two signals to taste.

There are many other good ways to do this. What I've described above is my approach.

Gary

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:14 pm 
Tenderfoot

Gary,

Thanks for the info. I also use dynamic mics for close-miking a cranked guitar amp, and I think I'll stick to doing that.

I'll take your advice in using the condenser strictly as an ambient mic, for now anyway.

BTW, I checked out your myspace page. That's a neat concept you have going there.