The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:01 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:01 pm 
Lone Star

Favourite food: SAUSAGE AND MASH
Machine type: AW16G
I'm using Shure Unidyne B 515SA mics mic line inputs (any of sockets 3 to 7). In order to get a decent input level I have to set the gain knobs nearly to max all the time. I guess I'm mising out something fundamental. Please help.

Many thanks Sam

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 8:34 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings. You're not necessarily missing anything, however, the Yammie's pre-amps leave much to be desired. The phantom switch was designed for condenser mic's and even then, it's not the best of signals. Your dynamic mic needs an external preamp. Depending on budget there are many to choose from. If you're on a tight budget, then you might want to consider this unit. If you have more budget in mind, then there's plenty to choose.

Thing is, as great as Yammie recorders may be, they are not known for stellar preamps. In fact, you can pretty much go to any professional recording studio and I'd bet a dollar to a donut that they have racks of preamps. So give that some consideration.

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:10 am 
Tinhorn

I really like the studio projects vtb1. They can be found on eBay for 99 bucks or less.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 4:05 pm 
Drivel Starter

Favourite food: Smoothie
Machine type: AW1600
I have a 1/2 rack, presonus bluetube 2 channel pre. Accepts 1/4'. XLR and Nuetrik jacks both in and out. Nice and smooth and I can dail in a little drive on the tube for guitars and bass if desired. Works nicely as a direct box. I use it mostly for additional vocals mics. Way more than enough power to boost dynamic mics to line levels as they run through a wee mixer for P.A., and are split off to the 1600.
I bought it used for 99 dollars Can.
I saw a store demo ART 6 channel pre (rack mount) for under 200 dollars Can. Price wasn't marked. Just ask the salesmen what they have that they want to swap out. Otherwise I wouldn't have known.
Good hunting
Bruce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:47 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
i also recommend the ART Tube MP. I think i got mine for about NZ$100, a few years ago.
Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:24 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: milk steak
Machine type: AW16G
I have recently acquired an Art Tube MP mic pre. Upon setting it up with my G, it seems to introduce MORE noise than expected. Going back to the G pre's, I don't really know where to move from here. Will probably return the product based on these grounds, which is just as well since the employee sold it to me telling me that it had two XLR inputs (which it does not).

any help here? really just need an inexpensive pre amp for noise reduction, warmth, to be used for acoustic guitars and vocals.

thakns

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 5:24 pm 
Website Slayer and Problem Solver

Turn the AW preamp gain to minimum. Bring up the external preamp gain for a good signal level. If you have noise, then turn down the external's gain a bit and bring up the AW gain some. Maybe you can find a "sweet spot".

Of course, it's always possible you got an ART that is noisier than usual.

Good luck,

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 9:36 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Greetings. I have an art dual channel preamp. Yes, they can get noisy depending on how you adjust the gain. I personally crank the G's preamp all the way to the left. Then I begin working with the Art until I get some level. As long as I don't hear the noise, I will continue raising the level to get the proper adjustment of -6 to 0db which will leave you that desireable headroom we real about in all those fantasy magazines and internet sites. If you can achieve your sound without the help of the G's preamps, all the better. If, on the other hand you don't have enough level, then you can try a little from both units until you get there. Unless you're buying a $500 - $5000 preamp, you'll probably get some noise along the way. But you should be able to remove most of it with a combination of output and gain on your Art. Good luck!

rz-land