The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 4:01 pm 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: home made tortillas
Machine type: AW4416
hello there,

due to my compulsive obsession with the 4416, i just had to buy one that was listed as "parts only" for $60 ... upon receiving and inspection, it looks remarkably clean and all sliders and channels work ...

the only problem i must overcome is the main display illumination light is not working ... i can vaguely see the track info and other words and info but only by the very dim black lettering on the gray/black screen ... i can navigate the console because i know the steps but feel the need to replace the illumination source for the display for better understanding

has anyone had to replace the illumination/light portion of the display on a aw4416 ? i have done a similar light fix on another drum sequencer but it was a simple swap out of a small lightbulb ... could this be similar ?

i am not afraid to dig into this one as the price was right but i would like to end up with a backup console to my backup console for my main rig ...

thanks for any help

mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2019 6:58 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
There is a dial to change the illumination is there not?? geno bought a 4416 like that years ago and turned up the dial and all was well.

The dial on my 2400 is just below the button used to call up the meter pages. I hope you try that before you go ripping and tearing!! Perhaps you already have??

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:49 am 
Tinhorn

hi byron,

yes, i checked the black button and could see the display lettering change "in the dark" ... it was definately the ccfl bulb for the lcd display that went bad (burnt ends) ... i was able to order a new one which they shipped today, should have it in about 2/3 days ... then we'll see if i can reassemble the console and make it work properly ... :lol:

before the complete disassembly (which is how far you need to go to get to the bulb), the unit worked and was able to play the demo song ... time will tell if the machine is a good one or a parts farm ...

more to come ...

mark

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:28 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
hudrodguy wrote:
we'll see if i can reassemble the console and make it work properly ... :lol:
mark

Try this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSqCZiyK5WI

rz-land

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 3:02 am 
Tinhorn

RZ wrote:
hudrodguy wrote:
we'll see if i can reassemble the console and make it work properly ... :lol:
mark

Try this youtube video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSqCZiyK5WI

i love the fact he was able to do the whole reassembly process in 4 minutes .... i'll be taking my time tho' :lol:

just received the new ccfl bulb today and will attempt the rebuild tomorrow ...

i also took the time to clean the console surfaces with goo gone ... what a difference !

mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:13 pm 
Tinhorn

update ....

replaced the ccfl bulb, reassembled the console (3 times now), and no parts left over =D> ... plugged the desk in ... and ... whammo !

the bulb flashed behind the lcd screen but doesn't remain on ... everything else seems to operate properly altho' the screen is barely readable ... looks like the ballast (?) for the bulb may need attention ... way past my ability so the circuit board and display screen are off to my electronic tech guy for further attention ...

with the special attention given to the cleaning of the surfaces, it looks fantastic ... now let's see if i can get the lcd illumination corrected ...

today i am off to work at our local venue with the maine state ballet (for the next two weeks) ... nutcracker suite, all the way through, 12 times ](*,) ... i'll spend most of my time behind the "magic growing tree" wondering why i always take this gig ... :lol: :lol: :lol: (answer: i love the kids...)

to amuse myself, this year, i will attempt to write lyrics to the music ... :-k

will let you know about the lcd bulb as i find out what is amiss

have a safe holiday

mark

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:00 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Nice try at it. Bravo for attempting such a feat. I'm sure you will get it working now. That's a nice thing you do for the kids. Have a wonderful holiday!

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:02 am 
Tinhorn

UPDATE:

i exchanged the whole led screen assembly from another machine (completely disassembled 2 aw4416's for the testing ... [-o< )

the lightbulb flashed but would not remain on so the problem is probly deeper than expected ...

reassembled both consoles and there was no leftovers ... =D> :-k

the "new" console fires on but still doesn't light up ](*,) ... the "old" console fires up and functions properly :headbang:

now, possibly send desk off to a savvy tech who can address this issue ... :help:

mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 3:17 pm 
Tinhorn

final decision ...

let someone else have a shot at it, i have tried my best but was not able to get the illumination repaired on the screen ...

i offer up to members of the forum : 1 @ aw4416 console (with no illumination on display but display is working, you can barely see the text and such, i replaced the ccfl bulb with a new one ... there is an led replacement bulb availiable but requires soldering in and other mod (?) ... but not absolutely sure this would fix the problem), 20 gig hhd w/ demo song only, ac cable, original ccfl bulb ...

no expansion cards included ...

my technician did not want to be involved, his expertise was not in this type of work ... even tho' i assured him there was not a big investment by me so failure to repair on his part would be acceptable ...

maybe someone else would like to have a go at it ?

if anyone has any interest in taking on this project (or a lot of useful parts), let me know ...

we can work out a reasonable deal for either parts or the complete console ...

although i am disaapointed with my ability to get this working, i am sure someone with more tech knowledge would be able to figure it out ...

who's interested ? :-k

mark

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2019 7:04 pm 
Marker Magician

Too bad. Not something I would be able to take on though.

I f you have a closet in which to stash it, you should keep it for parts.

were there cards expansion cards in it. I don't think I could do without my y96k card in my 2400.. y56k for the 4416. Do you have one of those cards in one of your machines?

Next big question is -- Will we see the official Dijonstock forum's winter screen this year ???!!!

Season's greetings to you all.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:25 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Byron wrote:
Next big question is -- Will we see the official Dijonstock forum's winter screen this year ???!!!

Yes. :-)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2019 3:26 pm 
Tinhorn

Byron wrote:
Too bad. Not something I would be able to take on though.

I f you have a closet in which to stash it, you should keep it for parts.

were there cards expansion cards in it. I don't think I could do without my y96k card in my 2400.. y56k for the 4416. Do you have one of those cards in one of your machines?

Season's greetings to you all.

hi byron and all other forum friends,

i do not have closet space to stash it in, but, it'll live in a box under a pinball machine until the next step in it's life ... keeping the aw for parts is a reasonable thought although i truely beleive the unit could be fixed by a more competent individual ... and how many aw4416 consoles does one really require ?? ...

(answer: all he can get !)

there were not any cards in the console when i received it, and yes, i do have a selection of expansion cards for the other 2 working consoles (1@ y56 waves, 2 @ 8 x 1/4" analog input and 1 @ adat input ... also 3 extra hhd sleds with working hhd's in 2 of them and cf card conversion in the 3rd) ... all of these i shall retain

as always, thanks to all forum members who have assisted me and others with the problems encountered over the years ... this place is a great resource with many friendly and warm individuals

much love to all, have a safe and wonder holiday season

mark

ps ... love the holiday webpage ... so festive !