The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Oct 23, 2018 10:14 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Gee
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:44 pm 
Rodeo Clown

It ain't startin' so much as finishin' for me.

Too much short work, commercials, training videos, music on hold.

For years now collaboration is the only way I've been able to complete a full length song, mostly because after a verse and a chorus I'm spent, lyric wise and any attempt to go further results in garbage. :lol:

Writing the music is not hard but I tend to want lyrics to fashion my melody, I haven't come up with any riffs that I've felt were "hooky" enough to support an instrumental arrangement, I mean "Walk Don't Run", "Green Onions" and "Roadrunner" have all been done and Joe Satriani I ain't. :roll:

But if you want a hooky thirty to sixty seconds to hawk your wares or a fun cover band, I'm your guy. :D

Post subject: Finishing
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 7:11 pm 
Oldie Of The Month

'61, I feel your pain. I've got several songs in a half-finished state. I've realized that the initial inspiration is the easy part--whether it's a lyrical theme, a lyrical line, a melody or chord progression. The hard part is filling out the rest of the song. If you suffer from the disease of perfectionism, like I do, it's hard, because you want all the other lines of the song to be as good as the initial inspiration. My current songwriting goal is to develop some techniques for getting the songs done. I'll let you know if I find any. :) But I'm guessing it's going to be a) lower my standards and settle for some mediocre lines--at least so I can get a first draft done--I can edit and improve later; and b) just knuckle down and do it, put the time in.

"Work is the curse of the drinking classes"
http://www.robroper.com http://www.myspace.com/rroper