The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:52 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 6:01 am 
Oldie Of The Month

Machine type: AW16G
Anyone out there involved /interested in Christian contemporary music ie writing, playing etc ?
Just wonderin' !

Sasayfras

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:26 pm 
Tinhorn

Hi Sasayfras - My wife (keys) and myself (bass, drum machine) play in our church worship band. We play Oakely, Redman, Tomlin etc. We have even done a Delerious! tune. The worship band is slowly developing two distinct sides: a quieter laid back version more suited to Sunday morning services; and a louder up-tempo version directed towards youth outreach concerts. Our next one is Sat Mar 26th in Burlington ON. We are doing 4 tunes to kick it off.

I have written secular tunes in the past and would like to write some corporate worship tunes. I am currently working on my first one.

CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 7:31 pm 
preset ho

Interesting stuff, guys.

What do you classify as Christian music? Must it evangelise or is it enough that the songs are created by believers?

CW: that phrase you used - secular tunes - really caught my eye. What songs or music would you describe as such?

Post subject: Hmmm
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 10:57 pm 
Rodeo Clown

"corporate worship tunes" was the phrase that caught my eye. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:01 pm 
Wants You

me too :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:39 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Me three...a rather interesting phrase, for true.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:02 am 
Tinhorn

I play in two groups - one is rock/blues trio that has been together 20+ years. The other two musicians are not Christian. When I talk to people, especially church members, I make the distinction that this group does not play Christian music. Mainly because they want to know why we don't play at church. I have used the term 'secular' as the easiest way to identify or label this group and their music. The songs we write are about food or relationships like most songs (well ... we really only have one song about food - but I like the idea of songs about food)

The second group I play in is our church worship band. We play modern versions of hymns and tunes that are typically classed as Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) or "modern" worship tunes. I select a fair bit of these tunes and I have developed my own criteria: is it biblically based; is it 'accessible" i.e. easy to sing, simple melody; does it have a clear message. (suitable for corporate worship) And because I am from a strong R&B and blues background - does it rock? I like the idea of being happy and enjoying my Christianity. There is a place for all tempos, styles, and time signatures in worship songs. IMHO.

Corporate worship tunes - now this is my understanding so I can be corrected - these are tunes that are suitable for congregational singing e.g. accessible: simple melodies, clear message etc.

Christian music is an interesting term. And you can be sure that there is much debate within the Christian community about which songs classify as Christian. Especially for the Dove awards, the Christian equivilant of the U.S. Grammys. I'm not even going to start on this thread. Do the songs evangelize? Sure, some do. Others are just about worship. Are they written by Christians? Typically. In our repertoire is Van Morisson's "Full Force Gale" - we have done this in a Sunday morning worship service - check out the lyrics. Is Van a Christian? I don't know - but I sure love playing the song and I love the message.

To be honest - when I go into our local Christian music store I am hard pressed to understand why a lot of the stuff is classified as Christian. If it wasn't in the bin labelled Christian I wouldn't have figured it out.

One point has been made that there is no such thing as Christian "music" only Christian lyrics.

This post turned out to be a lot longer than I expected. I have done a lot of research on this as our church is slowly moving from "traditional" to "contemporary" - right now we are "blended" - sort of half one and half the other.

Anyways - enough of this - I am a college basketball fan (U.S.A. March Madness - our Canadian championship is over, so I have to look south of the border) and the Texas Tech game is about to start.

CW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 12:24 pm 
preset ho

Thanks for the info, CW.

I'm glad you clarified your corporate worship phrase. I had visions of songs glorifying the wonders of, say, Microsoft.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:32 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Lysdexia wrote:
Thanks for the info, CW.

I'm glad you clarified your corporate worship phrase. I had visions of songs glorifying the wonders of, say, Microsoft.

(Falling outa the chair blowing coffee out the nose!)

BWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAJHAHAHAHAHAHA

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:46 pm 
Wants You

Interesting read. Thanks.

I know a big Dutchman who would be interested in a food worship band. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 3:51 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Who?

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:06 pm 
Mr. Electonica Dude

Favourite food: Frog Legs
Machine type: AW4416
Not to be disrespectful of Christian music , but from what I have heard , I am hard pressed to tell the differance at times unless I strain to hear the lyrics. Christian heavy metal , grunge , rap , all from a distance sound the same to me as the non-Christian stuff.

However I do love and listen to early in the morning a radio station here that plays Negro Gospel Music. I love hearing the basslines , B-3 work and especially the black choirs sing. It has an energy that is hard to describe , honest and personally , I find it addicting. To hear it played live is especially thrilling to me.

msg

Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.

Post subject: Well
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 4:42 pm 
Rodeo Clown

Most likely the "energy" you sense is a result of the "Gospel cadence" or "church cadence" as it is sometimes called.

Early church music was even studied from a perspective of "devine modality" if you will, with slight variations from the Greek modes and descriptions of the emotions different intervals can evoke.

These days, much secular and even worship music uses modalities that would have been recognized under this system as "evil" and or "lascivious". :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2005 5:03 pm 
Master of Logic

Speaking of Christian Rap. (A repost, I know, but it seemed on topic 8))

I will use my robot hand for good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:27 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
I am an unashamed Christian who writes music.

As fqr as listening material I am very cauteous about lyrical content but listen to mostly secular radio in the car as I can't find any Christian stations that play what I like.

I aslo like instrumental jazz, "alternative, and world music".

I too struggle with the definition of "Christian Music".
U-2 has 3/4 members claiming to dedicated Christians and one eho dedicatedly is not. Many of the lyrics touch on spiritual themes and out right Biblical quotes and references but then Bono (one of the professed Christians) regularily uses the F-Bomb ion TV and in concert.

Bob Dylan claimed a conversion to Christianity and for a while played only his new stuff written after his conversion but after three Christian themed albums returned to his previous methods of operation but continues to play some of the songs from the three "Christian" albums.

Are those three "Christian" albums but not the otheres since that?

I don't know.

Is Bob Dylan still a Christian (or was he ever one)?

Again I don't know. in my interpretation of the Bible only God knows for sure and I am not God so I will make no judgement on his spiritual status or any others for that matter.

There are some Christian goups who do the music as a "ministry" where the goal is to use music in a very defined purpose that reaches out past creating and playing music.

There are Christian musicians who consider music their profession and just as a professional Doctor, Lawyer or Plumber it would seem ludicrous (and probably illegal) to only provide services to other Christians.

The debate about what Christian music is and how it can be defined has raged within and outside the church and among Christians and non-Christians. I have yet to find a unified definition that woks and I have read alot about it.

My conclusion is only people can decide to enter into the offer of Grace that God has provided or reject it so only people can claim that distinction on an individual basis. Only God knows who has entered into this relationship with Him and only He gets to decide ultimately.

Can music reflect Christian biblical thoughts, feelings and worship?

Absolutely!

Can music be very anti-God or anti Christian in thought and feelings in expression.

Again I say absolutely.

Is their some gray area out there that is neither pro or anti Christian?

Yes in my opinion there is.

Can music, songs or styles of music be "Christian"?

IMHO no; only people can be.

We do find it useful however to tag music as "Christian" knowing that when we spend our money on a CD or go looking for music that has spiritual merit as well as musical merit and to be assured that it free of profanity, and non Biblically acceptable sexual references or other vices of humanity we may wish to avoid filling our heads with.

I have my beliefs based on how I interpret the scripture on what it takes to recieve Christ and be "born again" but then again if God has other ideas than the way I interpreted it........I'm not arguing.
There are Christian bands that do not want to be limited to Christian radio and music store distribution and work in the "secular" market.
Switch Foot, Jars of Clay and a few more.

In America our various religously tagged music is typically not played on regular radio stations and not sold so much in regular stores unless they have a small "Christian" music section. So over here music is extremely segregated for the most part.

I have been told that in Europe the music is not as segregated as far as religious beliefs but I really don't know this for sure.

There was a very long and intersting thread about Contempory Christian Music here

http://homerecording.com/bbs/showthread ... n+music%3F

But yes I do consider myself a Christian songwriter and I do enjoy playing worship music in worship bands at church and have done so for many years.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:07 am 
Greenhorn

wow...not much one can add to that..except...ehhh.....Go Notre Dame!!!

:wink:
Tony

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 3:37 am 
Calf Cutter

I'm still trying to figure out if negro is still a word???? :?

PS- I really enjoy SonicFlood and MercyMe. Two very good Christian rock bands with some awesome music.

8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 5:42 am 
Lava Boy

Favourite food: Varies
There are a ton of good alternative and otherwise just good Christian music that gets no publicity or airplay.

Typcially fanzines and Christian book stores etc but some of my favorites are;

77's and Mike Roe solo albums - "Safe as Milk" is my favorite Mike Roe solo CD. Outstanding rock and roll.

The Choir - more alternative.

Charlie Peacock - A fusion of styles with the talent of Sting, singer songwriter and producer. Deep lyrical content buy very narative and accessable. The themes never really go over your head but often work on several levels.

Prayer Chain - disbanded but still excellent.

Larry Norman

Lost Dogs

Micheal Knott of LSU Life Saviors Underground solo stuff.

I do like Sonic Flood.

Abraham Laborial is a Christian session bassist with his feet in the jazz recording world and in modern worship live playing and recording.

Hey Sir N. I know the keyboard player in Mercy Me!

He engineered two recording sessions with a band I was in in Oklahoma City and later I moved into his old neighborhood and got to know his dad by complete coincidence as I would be working in the garage and he would take his dog for a walk in the evenings.

He lives in Dallas now but used to visit his dad here before his dad moved you could not miss the tour bus when the whole band came by.

It is so unfortunate that there is a huge amount of talent that never gets airplay but in virtually every town in the US you can find a low powered non profit Christian station that can only stay afloat by playing to the lowest common denominator of top 40 over produced and IMHO un creative and often unlistenable cotton candy music while the real talent goes relatively ignored except for their loyal fan base.

There are alot more that I did not mention in every style imaginable but you will never hear of them unless you really go looking for them.