The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:47 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: 70 years ago
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 4:01 pm 
Wants You

Machine type: AW16G
The great invasion to liberate Europe. The free world is indebted to those brave folks involved.

Post subject: Re: 70 years ago
PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 5:34 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
I recently saw a few documentaries on TV about it. We have our freedom because of those people who in many cases gave their lives for something they believed was the right thing to do. I feel very grateful for that.

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 3:04 pm 
No More Coasters!

Machine type: AW1600
Robbie wrote:
I recently saw a few documentaries on TV about it. We have our freedom because of those people who in many cases gave their lives for something they believed was the right thing to do. I feel very grateful for that.

I remember as a kid growing up in Ottawa, Canada......learning about Canada's role in D-Day, and how Canadian troops played a large part in the Liberation of the Netherlands. As well, there is the 'Royal' connection to the Netherlands that directly involves Ottawa.

From: The Liberation of the Netherlands - Veteran's Affairs Canada.

More than 7,600 Canadians gave their lives for freedom in the Netherlands and Canada would play another important role for the country. During the war, some members of the royal family of the Netherlands found sanctuary in Canada and, in 1943, Princess Margriet was born in a section of the Ottawa Civic Hospital that was temporarily made territory of the Netherlands so the princess could be born on Dutch ‘soil’. These powerful connections helped form warm bonds of friendship and respect between the Dutch and the Canadians which continue to this day. The evidence of this enduring connection may be seen in the tulips—gifts from the Netherlands—which bloom in Ottawa each spring and in the care and attention bestowed by the Dutch people on the burial places of our war dead. Even though the cost of lives was heavy and the sacrifice great, Canadians are proud to have been cast in the role of liberators.

I enjoy watching WW2 Documentaries, and because of the 70th anniversary of D-Day....there have been quite a few on TV recently.

It's interesting to study history, and D-Day was a monumental event.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2014 5:22 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

We owe our freedom to a lot of other countries, including Canada, America, Russia and Poland. Our town was actually liberated by the Polish, that is why we see a relative big number of Polish last names here in Oosterhout. Some soldiers stayed to settle here.

The middle-east countries often blame America for "interfering with domestic affairs" (is this a proper translation?), but few people realise that is what many countries did for us in the 1940's, while there was nothing for them to gain except for the freedom of the local people. I am still grateful that so many countries did. And also should be mentioned that in Germany itself, a huge resistance network was active. Most people were against the policy of their leaders, and lots of them were prepared to put their lives into the scale. A good picture of this is the movie "Die letzten Tage" (the final days) about Sophie Scholl. I saw this movie a few years ago and I was hugely impressed.

Last edited by Robbie on Sun Jun 08, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
typo :(

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2014 12:51 pm 
Greenhorn

I was in Normandy for the 40th and 60th anniversaries of D-Day. Was incredibly moving to see all the veterans. Was sad not to go for the 70th, but have watched a lot of stuff on TV.

The sacrifice that generation made should never be forgotten.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:39 pm 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Not too many casualties from our blokes there as they were mainly air force. not like ww1. my grandfather left oz in 1914 and came back from turkey Belgium and France in 1919. not too many of his mates did. he always said that he played down his education to avoid becoming an officer for as long as possible. llieutenant has a life expectancy of two weeks in those days.

I remember those old guys when i was a little boy. i used to think that your arms or legs fell off when you got old.

Sad.

My dad fought in ww2 and then Korea. my generation just missed Vietnam.

That should have been the end of that.

Unfortunately not. Same old shit today. when will we learn ?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:31 pm 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Oscar
I was in Gallipoli a couple of years ago visiting the memoriam to the lives lost at the beaches, there were around 9000 Australians that died there, such a waste, it`s a very eerie feeling walking around the area, one I won`t ever forget, well worth a visit for anyone going there.
Wars happen because we have lunatics in charge of the asylum.

T.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 12:13 pm 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Quote:
Unfortunately not. Same old shit today. when will we learn ?

Back in 1988, I went to Japan. When I visited the Peace Museum in Hiroshima, I was struck by the fact that everybody over the age of 30-ish seemed depressed and thoughtful. All the youngsters of course, were running round the place having a fine old time. The sombreness of the place meant nothing to them - and why should it have?

That, I think, is why we never learn. That, as well, is why these celebrations (a grossly insufficient word) are so very important.

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:19 am 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi,
I visited the memorials in France some years ago.
I felt ashamed to be a German!
Unbelievable sad
Andreas

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:57 am 
Finds Manual Useful

Favourite food: Skunk Milk
Andreas , what happened 75 years ago cannot be changed. since the war, Germany and Japan have been exemplary world citizens. as a German, you should take pride in that.

Anyway, my father and grandfather always said they bore no ill will to the men they fought. those guys were doing a job just like dad and pa were.....and sharing all the same conditions and experiences.

Recognise the past but look forwards. we are all mates now, anyway. thats all that really matters now

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2014 11:30 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

I understand your sentiment Andreas, but you don't deserve it. The German people I know want the same that most other people want... living a life worth living. The people that should be ashamed are the Nazis that fled the country to hide in South America. The German people are not to blame for anything. For the rest, I feel Oscar describes it very well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 3:05 am 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Andreas,

You can't take the blame (or credit) for something you did not do.

This may be hard to believe, but as an American I have never actually owned a slave! Yes, shocking, I know.

World Cup started today. I had an email from some friends who live on the outskirts of München. They were both born near Dresden and came to the West one year before the wall came down. Lovely people. I wish I was sitting on their terrace enjoying some wine or beer right this instant.

Schönes Wochenende!
Randy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:28 am 
Cowhand

Favourite food: Fishcakes
Andreas - when I was at uni in 1995, there was a 23 year-old woman student there who said she still felt as though she had to apologise for being German. Despite everybody's protests, it was a feeling she held onto, for some reason. The passage of years is a double edged sword: on the one hand, it means we do forget and can make the same mistakes but on the other hand it means that we can also forget those recriminations and prejudices. I don't think such recriminations are really an issue with younger people and any older people who do still harbour prejudices should be pitied rather than blamed as they are limiting their lives. Racism - to give it its proper name - is the opposite of travel: travel broadens the mind while racism narrows it.

You'll not find any of those prejudices on this site, my friend.

http://www.howardgardener.co.uk/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2014 6:25 pm 
Mr. Blues

Favourite food: Sauerkraut ;-)
Machine type: AW2400
Hi friends,

gardenque wrote:
You'll not find any of those prejudices on this site, my friend.

One of the reasons why I love the smart guys here.
But I really had a very bad and sad feeling to be German when I saw these thousands and thousands of Graves. What makes me angry is that there are so many idiots all over the world that had not learned the lesson the history told us.
I always can't shut my mouth when I recognize racism or Nazis in my life. That's the little thing we can do to make sure that things will not happen again.

Andreas

Oh BTW. Football world cup. If Netherlands will play against the Germans Robbie will not be my friend for 90 minutes like 2010 ;-). And all you American guys will not be my friend next week during the match ;-).