The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:01 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: My new obsession
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:01 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Don't know about you, but I do quite a bit of writing every day. I'm always working up quotes for clients, writing orders, taking notes from clients and a plethora of other pen to pad things. I have always been fascinated with fountain pens. I had one or more for a good 20 years. Never could keep one writing longer than a couple of times. I even ordered one through one of my vendors, went out and bought those ink cartridges and tried again. Wrote once, put it down, and when I picked it back up, it was dry.

Finally I did my research. What I needed was a piston version fountain pen. I pulled the trigger on a Pelikan M150.

It is the most fun you can have writing. The piston actually is formed by twisting the bottom stem. In doing so, it either releases the ink from the pen, or when twisted open and inserted in an ink well, by twisting it closed, it fills the pen up. Ahhhhhh maaaavelous.

This pen came with a medium nib. While that's great, it's just a bit too thick for me. So today, after more research, I pulled the trigger on a TWSBI (pronounced Twisby). It comes with a fine nib.

If you gotta do something all day, may as well enjoy it.

rz-land

Post subject: Re: My new obsession
PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:58 pm 
Wants You

Machine type: AW16G
I used to have a cartridge pen back in around 1863. 8)

I remember it as being quite messy.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 11:36 pm 

Bob Keelan wrote:
I used to have a cartridge pen back in around 1863. 8)

I remember it as being quite messy.

No mess at all.

rz-land

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 12:23 am 
Wrangler

Favourite food: food
I do a lot of writing and collect fountain pens as well as other types. Nice pens there, RZ. Never used a piston one before. I like the way fountain pens feel when using them.

I fully understand your new obsession :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:43 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Ron,

When I was in elementary school we all had a Schaeffer fountain pen for "final" compositions. Everyone bought them at the school store and they only differed in the color of the translucent plastic barrel (I remember red, blue and green). They utilized a tubular plastic ink cartridge; they didn't have the draw lever. I remember them as usually working . . .

Good times, good times . . . I don't think they teach kids how to write anymore . . . or think, overmuch.

Randy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:16 pm 
Marker Magician

No, they don't teach much cursive handwriting these days. Many kids are still interested, but it is not high on the curriculum ladder though, in the jurisdiction in which I taught. I supplied in a grade three room the other day and one young fellow proudly presented his work in very neat and generally accurate cursive handwriting. He was a proud guy, but he had to learn that at home, he told me when I asked him.

When i was in grade 5/6 We used to take cartridge pens and refill the little plastic tubes with ink using a syringe that was available just for the asking at the local pharmacy. I guess they kept them right beside the airplane glue!!! Oh those days were so, shall we say, naive.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:59 pm 

I don't know why a cartridge fountain pen won't work for me. Back in the late 70's I was given a Cross fountain pen (still have it somewhere). No matter what I tried, I could not get that thing to write more than once. Then I'd have to fiddle with it constantly, but without much luck. Handwriting is becoming a lost art, but I enjoy the look of a nice smooth ink printing itself down to paper.

rz-land