The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: I am extremeley excited!
PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:24 am 
Roper

It's been at least two years since I last used the G to record any music. Shame on me for that, but I am stoked to get going again. My newfound inspiration is three fold.

1....I reorganized my recording room.....monitors facing in the correct direction per room dimensions. It also took me an hour to refamiliarize myself with the G. It's like riding a bike. Once you learn to ride it....you also learn real quick how not to fall off!

2....I finally made a decision about which songs I want to record.

3....I need to record at least two songs a year to go one up on RZ, :wink:

Yesterday I was born here

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 9:47 am 
Ranch Hand

Machine type: AW4416
Good for you, look forward to hearing them.

T.

http://www.soundcloud.com/t-mac-12

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCmCjAzN ... ture=watch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GETYJUJKu0

https://www.reverbnation.com/tmac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 5:57 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
You own a G? I thought by now you'd have at least an H.

Well now all you got to do is learn how to play! :-"

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2013 8:47 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Machine type: AW16G
Looking forward to hearing the results, Randy!

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 4:48 am 
Roper

RZ wrote:
Well now all you got to do is learn how to play! :-"

It's gonna take me a month or two to relearn all those strange chords for sure, and to build new callouses on my fingers. The biggest challenge (for me) is and always has been singing. I can't sing to begin with and I certainly can't sing some of the songs I like in the key they were originally meant to be sung. I have to use drop tuning.....a lot. It probably has something to do with the fact that I'm going to be 64 years old on Sunday and I still can't find the balls that fell off when I turned 54. I think it's referred to as anti-puberty.

On the tech side......how I do arm a track?

Weather report!!!!! We had a tornado touch down 30 miles from here the other day.

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:30 am 
Roper

Here's a link to the 1st song of which I want to do a cover version.

That's That by Michael Johnson - 1988

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dmlT0zO7TtA

Michael Johnson recorded tunes that were popular in the late 80's and early 90's. There aren't many videos available of him and very few videos of anyone covering his music.

The record deal he signed was a bad deal. To this day MJ receives zero royalties. The record company owns all of his compositions. I can certainly understand why MJ refuses to provide guitar tabs of his music.

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Sun Jul 14, 2013 3:58 am 
City Slicker

Favourite food: curry
Give it your all bro. Get those calluses back. I wanna get back to recording on the G too. I've gotten lazy, but now I've gotten my son Jim interested in recording some Cajun tunes. He finally found a fiddle player that might add a lot to our limited productions on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/BmoreBusker

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:21 am 
Roper

cajunator2 wrote:
Give it your all bro. Get those calluses back. I wanna get back to recording on the G too. I've gotten lazy, but now I've gotten my son Jim interested in recording some Cajun tunes. He finally found a fiddle player that might add a lot to our limited productions on YouTube here: http://www.youtube.com/user/BmoreBusker

I watched the videos. That's really good stuff!

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 3:34 pm 

Those were cool videos!

Randy I can definitely see why you would do a Michael Johnson tune. Your vocal registry should be a similar match. But first you need to find the G's on button.

rz-land

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 4:49 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Good for you for getting back at it, Randy.

My son wants to learn how to use my G for some spoken stuff he wants to do. I tried to start teaching him the basics yesterday, and was surprised at how often I had to stop and think...let's see, where is the power button again? :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 16, 2013 8:07 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
It's that little square grey button at the back, John. If you don't press that first, no red-button-pressing will make sense. :)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 5:40 am 
Roper

JM wrote:
Good for you for getting back at it, Randy.

My son wants to learn how to use my G for some spoken stuff he wants to do. I tried to start teaching him the basics yesterday, and was surprised at how often I had to stop and think...let's see, where is the power button again? :oops:

Thanks JM!

I made an attempt tonight to begin recording to a click track that I had set up for that song by playing along with the original recording. It's 6/8 and I'm not sure how many beats per minute there are but........

As is usual......I cannot record to a click track. Everytime I make an attempt to do that its becomes a total failure because the click track seems sucks the life and emotion from what it is I want to record......simply playing and recording a guitar and a scratch vocal. Whenever I try to record to a click track.....emotion goes out the window.

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:25 pm 

When I do my annual Beatles parody I have found The Beatles have subtle tempo changes throughout the song. Probably alot of George Martin cutting and pasting between different takes. I try to find a happy medium that I can toe tap to and that seems to suffice.

Of course I understand how these projects of yours go from a thought to an overnight million record recording contract, so by all means avoid the click track! :-"

:lol:

rz-land

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2013 3:27 pm 
Marker Magician

Be that as it may, but click tracks are most useful. They are often throw away tracks. The emotion and "personality" will work itself back in as you build your song. The click guides you to be at the right place on the important downbeats at the heads of verses, choruses etc.. this provides unity to the project. It feels unnatural sometimes, but makes for a more "polished" sound in the end.

Click is perhaps a bit misleading. What you really need is a bed track of some instrument that keeps time to the click. for me this is often an acoustic guitar, with a straightforward strum pattern. This would get buried in the mix, or get thrown away as i suggested earlier.

One straight forward way of using the G's click is to set the tempo map's time signature to 1/4. This give a straight, unemphasized click, with all strong beats on the BPM you set. This is easier to play to, sometimes.

Keep at it> Good to see you are rediscovering the G!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:51 am 

Sorry to hijack this thread, but didn't want to start a whole new one. Since Randy threw it out there that he was gonna try and do a couple of songs (one more than me each year), I decided to do a mid summer parody. So today while I had an hour to kill, I put the cover song down on the 2400. One take tracks and I'm questioning the lead guitar, but we'll see on that. I could add a B3 sound. That would be the only other instrument I might consider. Somehow I want this to sound like a live band playing covers at a bar selling cheap beer and hard liquor. You know, the kind that play behind a chicken wire fence and get bottles thrown at them. That's where I was going since this song can lend itself that way.

Once of the great iconic songs by this famous group (no not The Beatles). I've been watching youtube videos for a few days thinking of how I could change the lyrics. I have the idea, now to write the words.

I haven't recorded two songs in one year in ages. Thanks Randy for the challenge!

I'll pop it up when I get it finished.

Cheers!

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:37 am 
Marker Magician

The race is on! Seriously though, good to see the recording spirit is still alive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 1:38 pm 
Roper

Byron wrote:
The race is on! Seriously though, good to see the recording spirit is still alive.

RZ will definitely win this race!

I walked into Guitar Center to buy some strings and I ended up also walking out with a used Roland Gr-55 Guitar Synth.

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:12 pm 
Has Been To Cheeseland

Nice grab, Randy. Have fun with it. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:51 am 
Roper

JM wrote:
Nice grab, Randy. Have fun with it. 8)

Thanks. JM!

My major obstacle to overcome was installing the GK-3 pickup on my Washburn Gold Top and ensuring that it was installed perfectly with a 1mm gap between every string and matching the neck curvature.

The 1st step was to lower the bridge by .078" to make up for the thickness of the plate that holds the GK-3 pickup.....restring the guitar and check the intonation. So far.....so good.

2nd step.......install the controller. Piece of cake

I think I have the pickup installed perfectly, but the proof will be when I actually plug it into the GR. I've read many a horror story online where many people have great difficulty getting the pickup to track properly and get a functioning signal to each string.

I might give it a go tomorrow....maybe not. I need to muster up some courage.

I hope I'm not boring the hell out of everyone here. My girlfriend doesn't want to listen to me when I want to talk about this stuff. I don't blame her.

lol

Tomorrow I'll be gone

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2013 3:54 pm 

I assume you know what you're doing installing the pickups and "that other thing". I'll help the rest of the way . . .

Ok, first thing, there are 6 round long things on the top of the guitar. Those are called strings. You pluck them. If you are right handed, your left fingers make up something called chords. They sound good. Many people know how to make chords. You can too. Your right hand holds what we call a pick. It is used to strum the strings.

:wink:

:lol:

rz-land