The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: "Stop Whining"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 2:35 am 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
This is what my friend Marco told me when he called yesterday - 10:00 a.m. for me in Virginia, 1600 for him in Upper Bavaria. He told me to tattoo "stop whining" under my watch, and heed this advice every morning when I get up. The whining was in reference to the complaining I've done (to anyone who will listen) regarding my relocation from Garmisch-Partenkirchen to Alexandria, Virginia, 18 months ago. Marco is half my age, but pretty wise about human behavior (especially when it's not his behavior that he's observing, haha!).

My friend's metaphor was "would you rather have a small piece of steak, or a bowl of dry rice?". In other words, stop with the Selbstmitleid and come over and visit for a few weeks (ein Stückchen Steak), as you may never get another employment opportunity again and you'll be stuck where you are (eine große Schüssel trockenen Reis).

He further admonished me not to wait until next year's Spring, but to come this year, in Autumn. So he rattled my brain really good, and I'm now seriously considering a trip in September. Sometimes we cannot see the nose in front of our faces and need to be led to the drinking trough (filled, in this case, with Münchener Helles) by our friends. Doesn't Dirk say "in a minute it might be gone"? Sage counsel . . . Robbie, I may be nibbling on some of that Peyrigoux before the leaves drop.

I bid you all a happy, prosperous, and non-whining week.

Randy

Post subject: Re: "Stop Whining"
PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 4:17 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Now that we know this much, perhaps you can expand on the job and reason you left your home to move over to the States. As an American living in America, I can understand being homesick. So unless I missed the story in another thread, fill us in on more details of your move to the States.

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:04 pm 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
RZ,

I'm a Yank who worked and lived in Germany for seven years 2004-2011. I also had a two-year stint in Germany in 82-84.

I lived in Garmisch-Partenkirchen, a ski town in the Bavarian Alps, pop. 27,000. I miss most everything about Garmisch: friends, scenic beauty, architecture, history, Bavarian culture, Bavarian food, and Bavarian Bier. Because I was a federal government employee I was subject to the time-in-country restrictions which the Department of Defense enforces on its employees (normally no more than five years). While there I worked as a graphics manager for a joint German-American enterprise.

So I'm not really homesick as a Bavarian would be; I just miss the place and need to go recharge my batteries. Hence the whining and the new resolve to stop bitching about fortune and just do what I practically can (a visit).

Randy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 5:16 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Ok, that makes sense. I guess with Government jobs, they move you around quite a bit. Do you think you'll be moving again anytime soon? A friend of mine worked for the Department of Energy in Procurement. He started in Washington DC and then after a few years they moved him to San Francisco (poor soul!!). But he never had an option to move overseas that i know of.

So take a long vacation and visit all your friends. Perhaps that's the ticket you need for a battery recharge!

rz-land

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
Garmisch-PartenkirchenStock!! 8)

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 3:47 pm 
Imperator