The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: Mr skygod remembered
PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2019 1:44 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I was at another guy's studio this afternoon, tracking a stand up bass for a project the studio owner is assembling. the player was very competent and the results good. At the end of the session a round of margaritas appeared. this brought back memory of Geno, as that was his drink ( the reward at the end of the bar stool race !! amongst other occassions!!). One of the fine souls that have passed through this cyber place. Too bad he had to leave so soon.

As an aside, a mic I used as part of the tracking today was my Studio projects LSD stereo mic. Geno was directly responsible for extolling to me personally the virtue and versatility of that mic so i got that and I use it regularly. I don't drink Margaritas usually, but i sure enjoyed the one today and the memories it elicited.

Post subject: Re: Mr skygod remembered
PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 1:42 am 
Tinhorn

First time I've been on here for a while Byron. Great to see there are still people in contact after all these years- fair play to Robbie. Your post is so evocative, remembering a time when things were not so inflammatory in the world but many a discussion was had about how things were shaping. Geno had his opinions as did most of us, but generally the music cut above it all. That's a brill post about your memory of Geno. I never met him but I loved his ideas and I asked him if I could add a melody, lyrics and other instruments one of his piano and mellotron tunes which he agreed to. I was so pleased when he loved what I'd done to his toon. Can't believe it was over ten years ago: https://www.soundclick.com/html5/v4/pla ... D=10988814

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 3:56 pm 
Marker Magician

Good to note your presence too Fezz!! I have a similar story involving you, where you kindly facilitated me in acquiring your track for Shameless (Give Us Back Our Money) which I remixed, providing me with hours of engagement. Not sure my mix was substantially different from yours. I liked that song, which is why I eventually approached you about the tracks. Thanks again after all these years!!

This is the one and only forum of which i have ever been a participant. When I first came upon it, for quite some time lurking as a visitor, Ms Skygod was a very intriguing character indeed. His rate of participation was unrivaled but then he would disappear for weeks/months at a time. eventually I/we learned of his health challenges.

Traffic here is just a fraction of those days, but here is a list of words associated to Geno - Mr Skygod. Older forum people who still visit or may lurk these days will be familiar. But the few new members who still mine the site for information on the AW will undoubtedly be directed to threads that Geno started or steered!

He was quite the guy - AW4416, gear hound Martin guitar, grand piano, gear hound (again), hobby cars, motorcycles, jet pilot, college instructor > motorcyle mechanics, motorized barstool racing, giant sundial, epic compositions, opinionated, often blunt, kind words, honest critique, Texastock, margaritas, ... please build on this ...

As a final note. With all the work product that accumulates over the years during which you dabble in audio as a hobbyist, there are certain critiques and compliments that get "filed" in a special place. Upon completion of the last comp CD, so well assembled by 60's Guy, Geno commented upon the level of performance within the 50 or so tunes. He recognized my recording of a song done with a influential (on me ) friend/musician - G. Mason. Unfortuantely he too passed from this world too early. Geno liked the 4-part vocals. I was pleased and proud on that day that Mr Skygod looked upon me as a pier. Sorry to prattle on, but Geno was a unique guy, whom I admired.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2019 8:40 pm 
Marker Magician

Fezz - if you are out there - is the mix of Shameless accessed from the soundclick link you provided in this thread the same mix as you originally posted, before i got hold of your tracks for my mix? There are way more drums in your mix than I remember. I listened to that one and then to the one i did. If i missed the opportunity to bring the drums up as in the current post, then I should rap my knuckles. Perhaps i will de archive my mix and look at it again.

Mine is almost 2 minutes longer as i included all that funky stuff at the end, coming after you had already faded in you mix. I remember extending the mix, but wonder if I am comparing it to the original I heard back in the day.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:28 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Welcome back Fezz. There certainly is minimal traffic here these days since there's little usage of the old Yamaha gear. And even when we get a noob who bought a 1600 used, they ask a question, get the answer and are gone. As you can see, there are still those of us who consider this place home and enjoy coming back to see if anyone has returned like yourself. I don't record much anymore, but that doesn't stop me from visiting the site. Hope you'll stop by more often.

rz-land