The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:50 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

Post subject: A monitoring question
PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 8:41 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Hi all
Still doing the first track on the AW2400!
How do I get to monitor the instrument while the track is playing? I had a 16G and that was simple enough but for the life of me I can't work out how to do it on the 2400. Even the instruction book doesn't mention anything from what I can see.

Is it just me being dumb? Am I missing something really obvious?

Cheers

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 4:29 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I am guessing that you are trying to rehearse a track, in preparation for actually recording it?? I have less experience with G but i have heard others make this complaint/ observation regarding this difference between these AWs. The 2400 is similar to the 1600 regarding this issue.

On these machines, when the Play button is engaged while tracks are armed ( ie input to track link established) to record, the machine does not/will not monitor the sounds of the input, and since record button is not engaged to record ( remember you are playing back) there is no signal going to the track, so, no sound.

The solution is to use the Auto Punch utility. set the In point at 0:00 and the Out point at the end. Press play (only) and you are then able to rehearse the armed tracks with monitoring , between the In Out points. (record light flashes). you are actually listening to the track rather than the input and it is from a point AFTER the point from where it will be tapped (recorded). So, if you want you can add a bit of verb to the track for the purpose of the rehearsal and for the benefit of the artist, but that verb will not be printed during the actual take. this is handy.

When ready, press Play/Record and then the machine records the armed tracks as you play the rehearsed material. ( record light stays lit). Of course you can do this for sections within the song by choosing alternate In Out points of sections.

Once you are used to this, you will find the AutoPunch / rehearsal routine quite workable.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 1:13 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: STEAK
Machine type: AW16G
Brilliant, thanks Byron!

Cheers

Les

PostPosted: Mon Sep 18, 2017 11:20 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Machine type: AW2400
Yes that is a rather annoying mistake. I just rehearse the track without arming. Fairly easy to do and then once ready, lock and load.

rz-land