The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:09 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:43 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: peas and rice
Machine type: AW1600
Hi guys I know the Aw1600 is able to edit audio, but to what extent am i able to eliminate wrong notes on a specific track? I dont see a scrub audio feature like on some units where you can actually target a specific note and get rid of it. the manual is kinda vague in this area.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2017 12:58 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
no option to scrub, as a utility on 1600

I have had very good luck simply copying new data over top of an offending note or passage.

I look for the same note/word/passage within the song or in a different take. If i am working from a song with a specified tempo it is an easy process to designate a single beat or measure and copy this over the beat i wish to replace. Sometimes it is easier or better to copy a whole bar or passage.

If you have not specified the tempo in the tempo map, or you have not been tracking to a click the same can be accomplished using the time clock read out. First use the jog function to establish and drop a marker at the start of the portion to be replaced. Then use the jog function again to Specify the start point of the patch. Choose an end point thar will coincide with tge data to be replaced. Use Copy in EDIT Menu to place the section over the old.

If you are not clear but want to try message back and i will discuss further. I have done this many times with both short and long passages.

You can do over with the punch in as another option.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 9:32 am 
Dude

thank byron. I messed around with the track view and was able to locate the note via the wave file, my only concern is its a piano part and some notes are played simultaneously, so im hesitant to erase a section for fear i might erase everything in that region.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 5:06 pm 
Marker Magician

You of course understand that on the 1600 you can't erase a single note when there is other data in that same region.

Like I said, often in an arrangement there are other passages where the same chord progression is used. While not a fail safe process, copying an error free region over an "identical" region containing an error is very often doable.

Single beat, 4,8,16 bars if you are working from a tempo map. Set the Start Point using the measure counter

If you are not working from a click then it may be best to keep the patch as short as possible. Longer patches may not match up at the end point if you are not rigorous in maintaining tempo during the performance. Set the Start Point using the time count.

Use the jog wheel to find the exact point. Don't forget that on the Utility preferences screen you can designate whether you listen to before or after the jog point. Drop a marker when you find the appropriate edit point.

On some tracks, even if there is minor audible evidence of a patch when the track is soloed after the edit, the patch may work within the mix. Trial and error.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:10 pm 
Dude

yes i understand, Trial and error."You of course understand that on the 1600 you can't erase a single note when there is other data in that same region". just curious, is this also true of the AW2400?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2017 1:25 am 
Marker Magician

That is what i am saying - you cant erase a single note. copy - paste is the procedure. I am assuming you are multi-tracking. For eg. If your keyboard player hit a wrong note in a chord or flubbed it in some way - then look for the same chord played well elsewhere in the performance or on an out-take where the arrangement is repeating ( chorus, verse etc.)and copy the well played section over top of the poorly played.

No frequency specific surgery possible, just copy and paste 0r Punch-in to re-record the offending section.

Same on 2400 - it is essentially just a bigger 1600 with a few nice bells and whistles.