The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:38 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jul 02, 2016 6:44 pm 
Lone Star

Im about 4 or 5 years behind on this, but im looking into using the g with audacity. Im not very technical so im just looking for a bit advice from people who've had good results from using the two.

Just to let you know what type of music, its indie rock, guitars & bass using the pod hd500x, drums using ez drummer, keyboards.

What produces the best results:

Recording on the g & transfering it onto audacity or
Recording on audacity & transfering it onto the g?
Do recorded instruments have more clarity when recorded directly onto audacity.

Whats the best way to hook up the g to your laptop?

Any other tips would be great, as i said im new to this way of recording.

Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2016 8:17 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Most would go from tracking on the g to a computer platform (Audacity). If you track in audacity then you may want to continue your project there. In the same vein, you can track on the G and then mix on the G. You can do some mastering on the G to boost the overall volume level of your project. that is for another lesson.

If you are new to the G i would suggest you learn how to take a project from start to finish on that platform. There will be shortcomings during the learning curve, in that many find their finished projects to sound "not loud enough" compared to commercial recordings. This can be rectified, but if you go for the "finished" product too soon in the process, then you may have great difficulty producing a well balanced mix. It is best to not worry about how loud will be the finished product (at this point) >>> use the monitor level knob to adjust your mix to the level at which you may want to mix ( low volume mixing is important to establish level and balance - louder volume mixing helps pick out regions that sound strident or harsh). Make your mix and then come back for advice on how to "beef it up". It is a learning curve, for sure.

The Aw can be used as a control surface to work with many computer platforms, via midi. I am no expert in this, so others will advise. I have not heard anyone using the G to control Audacity. Not saying it can't be done, but I don't know ...

As for Clarity of recording - that has little to do with the platform and more to do with mic selection/ placement and the utilization of the gain control(s) on the preamp(s) included in the signal chain.

The G does not connect to a computer, other than via MIDI. so no data is transferred via Midi. Midi gives instructions for control purposes. To get data from a G to your computer you must burn a CD and use it for the transfer. Later models of the AW (1600, 2400) have a USB port. But even this does not move data in Real Time from one platform to the other. It is for transfer, like the CD process on the G.

Don't be afraid to ask questions here. Lots of friendly advice as you find your way.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 12:36 pm 
Lone Star

Many thanks for your reply Byron. I have the g well over 10 years & have recorded albums in it.
For my albums i used the g from start to finish. But there were several things i wasnt quite happy with.
The bass, i recorded this directly into the g, but im not iverly happy with the sound. Its not punchy, i'd love to get a similar sound to the verses in smells like teen spirit. Im not sure whether recording the bass in stereo will make a huge difference, but then thats 1 stereo track if 4 used up on bass.

I can record anything from my laptop directly onto my g by using the pid hd500x. So the drums from ezdrummer 2, sound great.

Im think of recording the bass & drums on audacity & record them on the g onto 1 stereo track.

Any else have any other tips on using audacity with the g.

Cheers

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 2:59 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
If your bass is not as you would like or imagine, going straight into the G. it is not really an issue of the G's capability over that of audacity, as a platform.

I am assuming you may go into the G directly from the instrument to the G, and if you are recording in Audacity you go through your pod (input device). It is the pod making the difference, I'd guess. "punchier" pre-amp than the G can provide.

Once you get a bass signal to the G, what sort of compression do you apply? Do you compress the signal during the recording of the performance, or try to "massage" it afterwords? Or, do you use compression at all when creating a bass track?

I would find that drums and bass reduced to one stereo track would not be my first choice. I suppose you could mix a stem from these two, but then you would be stuck with that combo as you build the other tracks. I like to have capacity to both utilize Dyn and EQ separately on these two critical aspects ( percussion and bass ), in order to fine tune them, first to sit well together and then with (under) the rest of the tracks.

Some times to get a bass the way you "hear" it in your "concept" imagination, it pays to capture it through microphone(s) while playing through a real bass head/cabinet. As well as the mic'd signal, I'd also take a direct line in during this performance, either from a line out on your head or from a split signal through a DI box placed in front of both the recorder and the bass amplifier.

I use often expanders (DYN) on kicks and bass to control the release (rate of volume reduction ) thereby creating more striking definition of the next attack.