The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:33 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:22 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Spaghetti
Machine type: AW1600
Hello...I hope that you are all well!

I took a long break from home recording (5-6 years) but have been doing some things on the AW1600 over the past few weeks. It's nice to be back. :)

I recorded some tracks tonight (two guitars, two vocals, bass, stereo drums)....when i created the stereo mix I noticed that the right VU meter was showing a much higher peak/louder signal than the left. I checked the levels on the various tracks, the left/right pan, the effects, etc. Couldn't get the left and right volumes to even out.

I burned the mix onto a CD and transfered it into Sound Forge on my desktop PC. The right channel wav file is much bigger/louder.

My question...is there something I'm missing that controls the volume going into or out of the stereo bus? Sorry if my terminology isn't correct, but I find the manual excruciatingly hard to understand. :)

Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks! - Bob in Connecticut.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 4:13 pm 
Dude

Favourite food: Spaghetti
Machine type: AW1600
Hi again! Well, I figured it out...noticed on the Channel View scene that my Stereo channel was panned way to the right. Put it back to center and all is well.

Thanks anyway to all. :)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2016 9:52 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Good you got it figured. On the same screen, look at the front of the chain. there is an attenuation dial there. On the stereo track, this dial allows you to both cut and add. This is VERY useful. As you mix, sometimes the mix starts to get a bit dense and so drive the meters up higher than you would want them to be. but at the same time you like how the mix is developing. The attenuation allows you to cut as the whole mix enters the stereo bus. Track balance is preserved and the mix perhaps feels a bit more relaxed, (especially if you have any EQ and/or DYN or EFF active on the stereo bus, as the lowered signal will not be driving these quite as hard). You would adjust to your ear then.

But equally handy is the ability to add gain at this point. It often to great advantage to mix "quiet", allowing you more control over what gets pushed and by how much. So if you end up with a mix that is too quiet, you can push it some at entry to the stereo bus for a final mixdown, recouping some push (gain) that may be needed for a final product.

Further, it is then much easier to get a significant, yet transparent, volume boost when using a final limiter on your two-track at the end (mastering stage). Now the trick is to need as little of this final limiting as necessary to achieve "cohesion" through compression and make your product "louder". So for sure it is a balancing act at the mix stage.

Final point in the "scheme", on the AW there is also an attenuation dial at the head of each channel's signal chain. It only allows cuts ( on the 1600) . Again, VERY useful to draw down tracks that are well tracked, but too "pushy" in the mix. It is adventageous to achieve this without resorting to drawing the fader way down, where you lose ability to perform fine level adjustment. There is way more travel/db when the faders are up near 0.0 Of course if you have been using DYN before you attenuate the track down, you may need to make adjustsments "downstream.