The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:44 pm

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 4:45 pm 
Sodbuster

Favourite food: food
If you MIDI up a drum-machine or sequencer with the AW, do you need a lead in measure, just to make sure everything's recorded? I was wondering if it records cleanly from 0:00 if there's a sound on the first beat of the measure.

Also, I understand there's an Auto-Punch feature, but can you also navigate to a spot where you want to record using a measure/beat indicator? Like, record 8 bars of guitar, stop the machine, advance to bar 9 and then record the next bit. Just wondering about that. If there was a lead in measure with metronome when you were recording that would be nice too. A one or two measure countdown then record kicks in.

Another question, is there overdub record, or replace record? I'm just wondering how flexible recording to a track is.

I'm excited to get this machine again (aw1600) but it's going to be a learning curve again. I'm imagining using it and what I would do, but I'm not sure exactly if the machine functions in the way I hope/think it does.

Ok!

JD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:29 pm 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
I am not a midi guy, but I do know the machine records from the moment it is engaged.

As for lead in measures, there is no specific function for this, with record engaging at the end of a count in. But you can set the tempo and turn on the metronome, turn on record and then use as many bars as needed to count in. In Post production, these bars are simply deleted.

I usually do as noted above and delete the lead in bars from a mix down but ---As a note of info -- if you start your mixdown recording at the first bar of music, and thereby exclude from the stereo file the measures you used to count in during the tracking (leaving them completely empty of data), those bars of no data will be ignored when you write the stereo track to CD.

To answer your other questions you best read up on, and experiment with, the AutoPunch feature. It will do what you want i believe. Give it a go and then ask specific questions or more generally about workflow advice.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 7:37 pm 
HamelnStock Survivor and Midi Guru

Favourite food: the edible kind
Machine type: AW16G
Hi JD. As far as i know the aw devices do record from 00:00 without problems. That being said i would only use midi to a drum machine to be able to synch the drums to the tempo set in the AW. Once the drum track is on the AW i would disconnect it as you don't want the drum track to play drums at the same time as the drum machine plays 'm back.

As far as overdub goes you would record to another track than the one(s) allready layed down so you can decide later what you want to do with the tracks. If needed you can allways bounce several tracks into one track. I guess we only do that if we run out of tracks.

What you describe as auto punch works ok provided you either record to a drum track or to a clicktrack ( internal metronome ) to keep in synch with the tempo set. If you use the metronome you can choose to start after two measures or whatever suits you. So that's a flexible count in. It does keep playing untill you turned it of though. Themmetronome does not switch of after two measures unless you record the metronome from the drum machine for two measures which you could also do.

Oh, before i forget. Welcome !

As with most things it's more how you use it than what it can do. The machines are great. For some purposes you just need a solution. Let us know if you have specific problems.

http://www.soundclick.com/bearinabubble

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:11 pm 
Sodbuster

thanks fordirk and byron

I won't get the machine for a week or so because I just got it on ebay. When it's received I should be up and running testing it out and trying different things. I think I got a good deal on a nice looking AW1600 with the plastic still on the screen. The seller did refer to a 'power chord' so I think he's kinda a newbie in that it's 'cord' not 'chord'. I don't know if anyone saw the auction but I got it for the 'buy it now' at 249$ plus 30 bucks shipping. I'm kinda happy I found one for that low of a price. Now I just hope it doesn't have any problems, but from what I gather these machines are usually pretty solid.

I got the machine partly because I want to stretch my mind as far as learning stuff, plus it will encourage me to do more things live. A lot of times I over use the computer to fix and edit things which can sound better, but it's totally artificial. I also think having a new workflow will bring out new sounds. Even though you can do a lot of different and unique things in FL Studio I tend to use it the same way over and over. I also like using hardware because it becomes less a visual process. You end up maintaining more of the song in your mind than on the DAW.

Ok well again thanks,

I can't wait to start using the AW!

JD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2015 9:46 pm 
Marker Magician

Hope it arrives safely, and soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2015 4:50 pm 
Spaminator Extraordinaire

Favourite food: sushi
Auto punch is a life saver. I can't speak for the AW1600, but on my 2400, it's pretty simple. Make sure the instrument is set to record to the track. Play back the track u want to punch. Press the set button and await the spot. When u get to the place u want to begin the correction, with the set button still depressed, push the "in" button. Locate the spot u want the original track punch to end by holding the set button, then press out. Now you are ready to press the auto punch button. It automatically takes you to a few seconds before your in point. Press play and practice till you are ready. Then press record play. The record lights up at the proper time. I like to be in the midst of the performance when the red light comes on for a more seamless transition. Fun stuff!

rz-land

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:02 am 
Sodbuster

Oh,

So I think I got autopunch in the brain and what it's capable of.

There's no over dub recording right? recording just replaces what was there...

I should be getting the AW tomorrow!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2015 6:37 am 
Marker Magician

The auto punch is destructive, in that you can't A/B/C compare several overdubs, side by side. but the undo button allows you to discard the most recent overdub. Beyond that, You will learn to use COPY and Virtual tracks to retain performances worthy of future consideration on their own, or perhaps considered for inclusion in an assembled track, using the best sections available from several (virtual) tracks.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:50 pm 
Sodbuster

cool, i's gots more questions!

I was using auto-punch to dub in new sections. The machine seemed to behave in two different ways.

The first attempt which worked, I set the IN and OUT points, went to the POINT screen and adjusted them to match the exact measures I wanted to dub in. I was able to rewind the machine to the very beginning of the song so I could hear everything (the song was short) and punch in at the desired spot.

BUT while working on a new project, I set up auto-punch it seemed to be locked in to what I think is the 'pre roll' designation of 4 seconds. When I would use the auto punch it wouldn't let me rewind to the RTZ; the sync of my drum machine was offset since it would begin playing at a time between measures so I would be unable to do the punch correctly.

I will keep experimenting but from what I can see the machine let me do something a certain way, but the next time wouldn't.

Anyone know what was going on with that? Also out of curiosity in preferences or whatever I tried to change the 'pre-roll' number but I wasn't able to change it.

thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 8:57 pm 
Sodbuster

one thing I will say is that I remember being able to rewind to RTZ the first time, though I might be mistaken. also the second time where I wasn't able to punch in correctly I was using a drum machine, not a regular keyboard input.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:53 pm 
Marker Magician

If your drum machine is synched via midi, the auto punch would turn it on /off, but that is all. You would have to have the preroll set to begin at the top of a bar, but the preroll (Utility button > preferences) is set in time (seconds) not measures, so this would be hard to sych up via guess test. It would be better to actually record your drum machine to a track for use as a click track. If you did this then the autopunch would always line up, as the drums are actually on the machine as a track.

You never RTZ in AutoPunch, unless you are punching in at the very beginning of the song and the preroll is set to be longer than the data existing ahead of the In point.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 am 
Imperator

Favourite food: Jägerschnitzel
Machine type: AW16G
JD,

If I am understanding you correctly, you are trying to change a small portion of your drum track by punching in, while being midi synched. This doesn't work. I use a drum machine for most of my stuff. When I decide I don't like some fill or pattern that I had recorded, I just connect my drum machine with the midi cable and re-record the entire drum track - I don't try to punch in. In fact, I have that exact problem with a tune I'm working on and will re-record the entire drum track to get the changes I want. I use the auto punch for correcting any other instrument, as well as vocals. Hope I understood your situation and that this helps.

Randy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 1:12 am 
Sodbuster

cool, I guess that is a limitation I'll have to work with. Luckily the drum machine has a song mode so I could arrange the parts before hand. Actually, what I was using was an electribe sampler, so it's not just drums, but strange sounds and things I wanted to record live at certain moments, but it's alright I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:01 am 
Marker Magician

You should be able to record them when you want, perhaps just not with the auto punch function.

Are you controlling your sampler via midi?

What machine are you using? Is it a AW1600? If so, there is a grid recording function for use with the four sampling/sequencing pads. that might work for you. The pads, but not the grid, are available on the 16G too.

the Grid on the 1600 is tied to the tempo map and is very precise. It is not good when it comes to loaded samples not at the song tempo, as it has a very awkward and unsatisfactory (IMO) procedural for adjusting samples. I never had any luck with that, but if the samples on the pads are in the time sig of the song - or are single hits - --very functional.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:01 am 
Sodbuster

So I've gathered that the best way to make variations to your drum-machine/sampler track is to record a basic loop for the duration of the song... and after you have recorded instruments in, to re-record that drum track with programmed changes and fills, ect, on the drum machine. There is NO way to punch in a section of your drum track via MIDI. The pre-roll is not synched with MIDI measures... only by seconds.. so when you set to punch in, your drum-machine will be playing somewhere in the middle of a measure/beat and will not punch in correctly. I realize that the programmers did not foresee so much electronic music recorded with the AW but it would have been nice for the pre - roll to adjust with the tempo and desired measure intro, instead of 4 seconds or whatever you may set.

thanks,

JD

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:04 am 
Sodbuster

though I will say that one way I found a way around this issue is to disconnect the MIDI and literally hit PLAY on your drum machine at the required measure. at least this way it will record the set measure segment and start and stop at the right stop, however you are required to hit PLAY at the very 1st beat of the measure you are dubbing in.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:51 pm 
Marker Magician

Put the required loop on to a pad on the the AW1600 and try your punch in. With four pads, and 4 slots on each pad, you can have up to 16 loops available. And with the grid function you can easily sequence these - this all is time consuming though

The most straight-forward though is to create some sort of a drum track, at the tempo you to which you will set the AW,via the tempo map. Transfer it to the machine through analog inputs or through a file import. Make your music to that click. Revise the click as needed along the way.

Are you going to post a sample of your work?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 11:16 pm 
Sodbuster

yo byron,

I have only made one short electronic piece, and used the AW to record a jazz gig. So I don't have much to show yet.

Yeah the 16 clips might be useful, the thing is I wanted to be able to take down an idea as the song is being recorded, not plan everything out before hand. That is sort of the old way tho- to plan your recording, and it might be smart to do so.

I also just set up my DAW compute where the AW was at so I could get ready for a show coming up... I might be recording a drum kit. It's just slow going so far.

Ok later!