The DijonStock Digital Home Recording Support Forum

*** USER REGISTRATION DISABLED! FOR ACCESS TO THE BOARD, MAIL TO registration AT dijonstock DOT com. THANK YOU ***
It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:57 am

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:38 am 
Dude

Favourite food: Falafel
Machine type: AW16G
Ok Here is the latest experiment. I went back and reread all the posts and found one suggesting that I use a headphone splitter. When I first read that I couldn't find mine, but I just found it and tried that. I could clearly hear the fiddle part in the headphones - but not in Audacity (and as I said earlier tonight I tried recording direct to the H1 to rule out Audacity being to blame). Now, in my logic, that should be completely impossible...... So, I am no further along with this.

I have just tried loading an old file now and tried recording that to Audacity as I have done X times before with no hassle. It worked! No problem at all. And this was not mixing down, but simply playing back, adjusting the faders and recording the mix leaving the Stereo Aux Out

So, why isn't it working with new songs I have recorded in the last few days? I am beginning to think I have accidentally selected some option that is loading with every new song and giving me all these hassles. Is there any way I can select the settings from one of those older recordings as the default for future recordings. Perhaps that'll solve it. Whatever it is. [-o<

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:46 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Favourite food: Ria's cheesecake
You can always reset any effects, dynamics, panning, equalizing by pressing the scene button and recall "initial data". A few notes though, some things are not reset by this, for instance the vari pitch (which allows you to play and record anywhere from 6% slower to 6% faster, it's in the D.IN.HDD menu which can be accessed via the utility button). Furthermore, you will have to pull the stereo fader completely down, and the completely up after that as it is necessary to have the physical fader pick up the logical value. You will probably have to do that with the faders of each track you use.

I think it IS possible to use the settings from an older song, but it's probably not what you'd expect. Assuming you saved all settings in a scene in the song you have no problems with: load that song, and then recall the scene using the scene button. Then, load the new song you're working with. Done! As long as you don't manually change anything, the settings will stay as they are. However, reading your posts, I don't think you've used scenes. Besides, you would have found out that scenes stay the way they are, even when you load a different song, until you manually change them. (for the more experiences user - you can also change scenes through the tempo map but I don't think you've used that).

Don't judge the coffee by its cup.
The proof of the cheese is in the eating

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:50 am 
Marker Magician

Machine type: AW2400
Have you actually located the screen that controls the output tha will go from the Stereo/Aux outs? Some others have suggested that you do that but I do not recall you saying you actually checked that screen. If those outs are assigned to AUX, it is a different bus than the Stereo bus.

Did you check that screen?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:53 am 
Marker Magician

Hey Robbie, that is the most words in a row with no mention of cheese in some time!! This is a strange problem. The G I mean, not the cheese (or lack there of) observation

Who did that turn out to be - the imposter guy that wanted to make vinyl records?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 1:58 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

Lack of cheese would be a real problem. But it is with great joy I can tell you I restocked the fridge this afternoon, so I'll be good for some time.

I have the feeling we're overlooking something simple. Or it is a bad cable. Or something in the procedure that is too obvious for us. As long as Berni doesn't give up, I'm sure there will be a solution.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 2:01 am 
Marker Magician

So, back to the issue at hand.

When you used the headphone splitter, you listened on split 1 and sent the Split 2 of the same signal to the computer? And the computer did not get it? Then did you reverse Splits one and two to see if the phenomena repeated? The problem is not with your G if all the above is true.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 3:50 pm 
Dude

Byron wrote:
Have you actually located the screen that controls the output tha will go from the Stereo/Aux outs? Some others have suggested that you do that but I do not recall you saying you actually checked that screen. If those outs are assigned to AUX, it is a different bus than the Stereo bus.

I don't think I know which one you mean. I thought I had found that, or rather thought the reference was to another section, but you appear to be mentioning a screen that is dedicated to that and I haven't found that, no. How do I get to it?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:59 pm 
Marker Magician

Berni_Armstrong wrote:
Byron wrote:

I don't think I know which one you mean. I thought I had found that, or rather thought the reference was to another section, but you appear to be mentioning a screen that is dedicated to that and I haven't found that, no. How do I get to it?

The screen you want to look at is found using the Pan button. When you depress that button there are 3 sub-menus. The first is the pan control. Press it again and you will see a similar screen that controls the sends to the AUX out from all the inputs and track--- Press it a third time and you get a much "less-cluttered" screen. That is the screen you want. There are two buttons, marked Stereo and AUX. Whichever one is dark tell you what is being sent to the dual-purpose Stereo/AUX outs.

If it says stereo, you get the stereo bus, at line level, (the metronome does not go to this out however). If it says AUX, then the output from the Stereo/Aux outs is the AUX bus. What gets out and the levels thereof are controlled by the second screen of which I spoke (under the Pan button). This perhaps has something to do with your situation/

Beyond that, if a signal is coming out of the headphone jack to your cans, then it is available to be patched to your computer's sound card, that way. The very same signal comes out the monitor outs (with the metronome, if you want it). Both the phones and the monitor out level are controlled by the one pot on the G, so you can adjust.

If the Aux out is how you are configured on the other pair of outs, the send can be attenuated by the individual (virtual) dials, and the complete bus has a virtual slider on the control screen.

You can also select whether the individual Aux Sends go to the bus pre or post fader.

I hope we are getting close to solving your issue.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2015 11:57 pm 
Dude

Well, adjusting the Pan switch (I had used it before, but just tweaked it left or right, I hadn't realised it selected other screens) and changing the Stereo to Aux 1/2 seems to have done the trick. I can now record a better quality version of the songs I was working on onto Audacity (to reimport into a video I'm doing to upload to youtube). :D

However, I am still puzzled as to why I have never had to do this before. Up to now I simply adjusted the faders and the mix in the phones was the same as the mix in the Stereo Aux out. :?: :? :?: .

Thank you so much for all your help and advice (and patience) guys. =D>

I now need to find out what SCENES are and how to use them. It's a very long learning curve getting to know all the G is capable of ;) and I am the classic old dog that it is hard to teach new tricks to :-"

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:24 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

When it comes to scenes, it's a concept you have to grasp. Once you have it, all that has to do with scenes is simple.

When you're working on a mix of a song, at some point in time you will want to adjust volumes of individual tracks, effects settings, panning, euqalisation, dynamics. There's an awful lot of paramaters you're able to tweak and at some point in time you'll be happy with what you have, and you want to keep it. That's the moment to make a snapshot of the settings. It's one snapshot of all settings in one set of data called a scene.

You can save a scene in a song, so, while settings are global (they do not change when you load a different song), scenes are not. In my opinion that makes sense as such a snapshot is custom made for that particular song. You can save by pressing the scene button, select an unused slot, specify a name (for instance: mix1), and activate the button "store" that's on the screen.

After that, you will be able to push/pull all faders, turn all knobs, jog, the dial, and change everything.... and press the scene button, select the slot that holds the snapshot, and activate the button "recall" that is on the screen. All settings will be put back exactly as they where when you made the snapshot. This is a very powerful option.

You may ask yourself: but the fader on track 7 was at-20 dB in the snaphot, but the physical fader is at 0. What is the value of the fader? The fader is not motorized so physically it's still at 0.

When you recall a scene where a fader was set at -20 dB, the link between the logical value (the actual value the machine works with) and the physical value (where the knob of the fader is) is removed. The machine will work with the value in the scene. When you push/pull the fader you change the physical value and once that physical value passes the logical value it "picks it up" and the link between the two is restored.

Give it a try. Play a song that you have recorded. Pull the fader of one of the tracks down so you can hardly hear the track. Save the scene. Push the fader back up so you can hear the track clearly again. Then, recall the scene. You will notice that the volume of that track goes down immediately. Pull the fader down to the level it was while you created the scene (or even further) so the logical value will be picked up. Push the fader up again and you'll hear the volume increase.

This is, in a nutshell, what scenes are about. They enable you to save your mix settings. You can store many versions of a mix setting, because there are many slots available.

An extra is the use of the tempo map. This is a time line where you can assign scenes to a spot on the time line which enable you to activate any scene on any given point in time automatically on mixdown. It's for advanced users, but a very powerful tool.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:47 pm 
Marker Magician

Glad you got it sorted. We should have been more insistent that you check the Stereo/Aux toggle screen. It took me a while to figure this some years ago. As to why it used to work, but not so now, is contained in earlier explanations too. >>>> If you set that Stereo/Aux toggle to Stereo, the output from the Stereo/Aux out is that of the Stereo Bus (less the metronome, if it is on). This is probably the way you want it, for what you want to do, I'd think.

When the toggle is set to Aux, then you have to dial up the amount of any track you wish to appear in the send from those outs. (this is done on the second of the three screens under the Pan knob). The classic mistake that is made is the Pan button gets pushed twice, not once. One push reveals the Pan screen, but two pushes reveals the Aux out screen, which looks like the Pan screen, because of all the dials shown. Then you adjust for Pan but it seems to not be working(because you adjusted the Aux screen, not the Pan screen), .... so you push the Pan button once more to try again and voila ... the third screen appears... which you have never seen before in all likelihood. So some random button punching occurs and you end up changing the output source to Aux. and then you promptly forget about that screen and when you come back to your project after some hours,weeks, or days and you are completely baffled by why the machine does not act "properly".

The Aux out is very handy for sending a monitor mix to stage when the mixer is being used for a gig, or you could send specific signal out to an external effects box or compressor.

Robbie's description of scenes is good. Once you use scenes they will become part of your workflow. They are absolutely necessary for song management, when you have more than one project on the go. There is no other way to automatically retrieve your global setting when switching from one song to another, as settings do not change when a new song is recalled.

Keep at it.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:01 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Byron wrote:
We should have been more insistent that you check the Stereo/Aux toggle screen.

You're kidding...right..? :D

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 12:31 am 
Marker Magician

dejan wrote:
Byron wrote:
We should have been more insistent that you check the Stereo/Aux toggle screen.

You're kidding...right..? :D

You must be kidding too?

I wasn't really kidding though. You, yourself suggested checking the Stereo /AUX switch,in the fourth message in this thread. Specifically including the need to push the Pan button to access the screen. The number of options that would create this scenario are few (singular??), with output assignment at the top of the list. This is such an accommodating place that, rather than retorting rudely, we tend to try to persist in helping problem solve, using symptomatic descriptions from less experienced users, even when our common sense tells us that the solution can't be as described.

You nailed it right from the start, and others, like myself, should have referred back to that advice. It would have been a much shorter Thread though, and we would not have gotten to know Berni quite as well.

So, all is well that ends well.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 2:04 am 
Tinhorn

Favourite food: overmuramovingcake
Yeah I was kidding, but I guess my sense of humour is different than yours...
I'm really glad Berni found a way to ST/AUX menu. No offense, I just think this thread is way too long.
We're all here to help, no question about that.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:39 am 
Marker Magician

Yes, I agree the thread was way too long. You wisely gave the correct advice and then left it at that.

By the way, no offense taken at all.

Cheers

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:20 pm 
Robbie The Botkiller

OK so let's change the topic to cheese.

No cheese topic is ever too long! :)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2015 6:11 pm 
Marker Magician

i recently have been sampling a great cheese, infused with a balsamic flavoring. The best cheese i have ever had.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 1:54 am 
Robbie The Botkiller

What type/brand was it? How would you describe the flavour?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:17 am 
Marker Magician

The cheese itself is fairly dry. it is a light colour, but with my colour-blindness I would any not trust my description beyond that.

As for flavour, it is a bit (pleasantly) sharp at first bite. It is best to savour only a nibble, as flavours keep appearing further back in your mouth. It seems as if all your tastebuds become engaged.

The name of it is "BellaVitano Balsamic". The producer company is Sartoni.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:27 pm 
Dude

English cheeses are not very commonly found here in Catalonia. But we just found a special offer in a supermarket locally - White Stilton with Mango & Ginger. It was heavenly!

We also bought two camemberts which were just about to pass their sell by date. They were really ripe and ready in other words. We left them in the car overnight and went to celebrate New Years with the in-laws. Back at the car the next day the smell of ripe cheese was almost overbearing. But I must admit they tasted delicious. And the smell still lingers in the car 4 days later ;)

BTW thanks for sticking with me. It is often easy for experts to give up on beginners who don't know their way around. I hadn't realised there were other windows accessible on the Pan Control. I should have asked, but I filed that suggestion away for when I found the instructions and then forgot about it in my thirst for experiment.

I still think the weirdest phenomenon was recording the mix from the headphones socket and finding my recorder hadn't recorded what I could hear in my headphones. That is just bizarre and in my book should have been impossible. How did the machine "know" I was not listening on headphones, but rather passing the signal out to a recorder? Is there some kind of a sub routine that checks the impedance and switches mix accordingly?